Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Reload this Page >

Replacing 6.8 V10 30v 8C3Z-6006-BARM with 20V 9C2Z-6006-A

Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Sunil Gonsalves
New User
Sunil Gonsalves is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello Members.

I have a F-550 2012 with a blown engine. The truck came with 8C3Z-6006-BARM engine 6.8 V10 30Valve. Unfortunately, its on a back order with Ford for 3-4 weeks. ReMan engines seem a risky deal considering the shortage of cores. Hence, I am considering using 9C2Z-6006-A engine 6.8 V10 and 20Valve. This engine is used in E Series Van and makes 50 less HP while the torque numbers are similar.

If any one has upgraded from a 2V to 3V or viceversa. I would appreciate some guidance on the following areas:

1. The block is same, hence I am hoping the engine mounting points would be similar. F-550 has a better engine bay than the compact E Series.
2. The E-450 ships with 5R110W that matches F-550. So the TCM should be fine with similar torque numbers.
3. The wiring harness would require amending as some sensors shift from left to right.
4. The ECM is trickiest part. If this fails to work, the above effort is worthless as I am sure, I cannot swap the ECM from E Series.

Your thoughts...
SG.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:03 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Your best best if you want to use a Ford reman'd engine is to wait for their production to catch up with demand. Swapping a 2V engine in place of a 3V would require so many changes you'd be better off buying a running "new" vehicle and save the hassles you'd be facing.

Do as you prefer but the current plan doesn't seem all that wise to me.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Locate a 3V used low mile engine from a wrecking yard?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:00 AM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
It definitely won't be worth your trouble. If you can't wait, then get a wrecked truck engine.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 AM
Sunil Gonsalves
New User
Thank you for your responses.

I did suggest an used engine option but the client prefers a new engine with warranty. I was got curious about this option, when a used engine vendor suggested a 2012 E-series engine to me. However, I was not too convinced.. but yes was surely intrigued. Yes, it's the same block, less power, same torque, fits the same gearbox. But will the F-550 ECM work?.. Are the engine mountings in the same area.

I agree it may not be worth the trouble. But if its possible, how?

Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
No the PCM will not work and neither will the intake or electrical harness. The engine isn't hard to get, how are you placing the order? I see two in supply chain and 6 in extended dealer inventory. Also AAA Engine in Chatsworth also has them for 3900 delivered.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:52 AM
Sunil Gonsalves
New User
Thanks for the advice. I just read at few more forums. 20V seems like a no go. I placed an order with Ryder for 8C3Z-6006 Reman engine. Delivery is hopefully expected in now 2 weeks. Many online supply chain vendors mention a current-availability but when you call to confirm, they slip.

Had a bad experience with a Re-Manufacturer and I rather not share the experience on this forum. Will look up on AAA though. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.