Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

calvinhg's '97 f350 -- aka Spartacus

Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 PM
evan_nugget
Senior User
evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Calvin - your truck looks beautiful, I'm interested and excited to see how Spartacus turns out. In terms of your speedo question, at first I was going to say absolutely not because it would affect the transmission shifting, then I realized you have the ZF. As I'm sure you know, the 7.3 PSD is an electronically controlled engine but I'm not certain if it needs any sort of speed input to work properly. I believe you'd lose cruise control if you deleted the PSOM - it might be best to just leave it alone.

I'm also not too sure about the headliner but don't despair: my truck does the exact same thing. Sags sometimes and other times is taut. I honestly think it has to do with the atmospheric conditions or humidity or something like that.

You might be able to source a pair of OEM mirrors at a pick-a-part near you - I'm a big proponent of OEM parts, plus they seem to be built far better than aftermarket replacements and usually don't require too much cleaning to be presentable.

Congrats on your new truck, and I look forward to seeing what you get done with it!

Old 05-15-2019, 01:13 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
RenoHuskerDu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Pappawheely View Post
I've not been able to figure out a way that the headliner comes out other than removing the wind shield or cutting it into pieces. The switch on the clutch is so you don't crank it over while in gear. Might be useful. For mirrors, lights and all that other flotsam it depends on the quality you want. JC whitney has all that junk and wolf whistles too.
Had an opportunity to use JC Whitney a year ago...wow, they have changed for the better. I called to ask a question about a spare tire mount for the bed. A live person answered the phone! I asked my question and they guy said "let's ask the vendor."

2 minutes later, I was talking directly with the manufacturer (who also makes Titan fuel tanks). So now I consider JC Whitney as a good supplier.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 PM
calvinhg
New User
calvinhg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Pappawheely View Post
The switch on the clutch is so you don't crank it over while in gear. Might be useful.
But then I can't start the truck from the passenger side, or if I got only one hand available. I don't like all these annoying security things, in general. All I gotta do is make sure it's not in gear.

About the mirrors, for evan_nugget: the stock mirrors are just too small. And I don't think there are any bigger stock mirrors.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 AM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
I have often cursed the need to have the clutch pressed to start but it is a good safety feature. I almost got ran over once when working on a truck as the girlfriend didn't think to push the clutch in or make sure it was out of gear. Its too much if a risk in my opinion to bypass that safety feature.

The duallys had larger mirrors on them. Mine has a large rectangular one and then a smaller round convex one also.

Superbirghtleds .com is a cheap decent place to get bulbs if you know what ones you need.

Cheapest place for the rook marker lights is Ryder fleet products.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
Not having all that safety nanny stuff didn't kill our grandpas, the greatest generation. I'm with Calvin on this issue. I used Forscan to delete as much safety nagging as I could find from my 2018. We're getting too soft and relying on gadgets instead of common sense. Put the dang truck in neutral before starting. I taught all our kids on a manual tranny vehicle.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post
Not having all that safety nanny stuff didn't kill our grandpas, the greatest generation. I'm with Calvin on this issue. I used Forscan to delete as much safety nagging as I could find from my 2018. We're getting too soft and relying on gadgets instead of common sense. Put the dang truck in neutral before starting. I taught all our kids on a manual tranny vehicle.
That's your choice. I think that given the option the older generations would have loved to have had the option of certain safety features. Accidents happen, having a neutral safety switch is not what I would call soft or nagging. Removing it so you can start your truck without having to walk around and press the clutch is called lazy.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:46 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
Calvin did say that he might do that. Hmmm, I need to have a word with the boy... What did Bill Cosby say (before disgraced)? "I brought you into this world, son, and I can take you out. Momma and I will make another one just like you." LOL

Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
But I'm only 60 and all my manual vehicles never had that safety nanny clutch thing. Must be due to 60 Minutes lying about unintended acceleration in Audis. We raised our kids in Europe, almost all cars are manuals, only very recently did the safety nanny clutch starter interlock show up. No 60 Minutes in yurrup.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
I understand. I've had numerous 68 Mustangs and they didn't have it (I converted for C4 to T5s), neither did my 78 F150. Saying that, I wouldn't try to disable the one in my 96. I always check and make sure it's in Neutral, but stuff happens. I'd hate to see anybody disable something that might cause injury or worse without at least cautioning them.

Back to the thread of Spartacus!

Wish I was still stationed down in Austin, I have a DRW that I'd like to convert back to SRW. Maybe we could've worked something out.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM
minimalist
Junior User
minimalist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post
But I'm only 60 and all my manual vehicles never had that safety nanny clutch thing. Must be due to 60 Minutes lying about unintended acceleration in Audis. We raised our kids in Europe, almost all cars are manuals, only very recently did the safety nanny clutch starter interlock show up. No 60 Minutes in yurrup.
I grew up in Europe and like the safety switch. It does safe plenty of garage doors at a minimum. My parents door is still dented 40 years after my brother hit it with our beetle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.