Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

calvinhg's '97 f350 -- aka Spartacus

Old 05-09-2019, 01:41 PM
calvinhg
New User
calvinhg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Edgethis View Post
That's a nice looking truck you have there. Looks to be in pretty good shape for 300k+ miles.

Another thing that could help mileage and make the truck run smoother is converting it to E-fuel from the mechanical pump. I plan to do this on my truck.

I don't know anything about the hand throttle but whatever you do, I'm sure you'll take pictures and let us know!
Originally Posted by 19nindee View Post
Subbed cool truck
Thank you! It's only uphill from here 😀
I don't want to put an electric pump because I'm not a fan of electronics in general... Which is why I'm disappointed by the electronic throttle, but there's really nothing I can do about that...
I'll stick with a mechanic pump for that reason.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Pappawheely
Senior User
Pappawheely has a good reputation on FTE.Pappawheely has a good reputation on FTE.
There is nothing more disgusting than the sticky slime that covers old Ford steering wheels.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:14 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
RenoHuskerDu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Pappawheely View Post
There is nothing more disgusting than the sticky slime that covers old Ford steering wheels.
I bought a 60s Wagoneer once. Took it home to clean up the interior. Stuff in the console started foaming! Took forever to stop foaming, but came real clean. I joked that it looked like laundry soap and Coke.

Well I saw that PO a few weeks later and asked him what was on the center console. "I spilled my Coke on a package of janitor's cleanser" Wow

Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 AM
collkid
Senior User
collkid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Super cool that you're taking the time to really give it a good cleaning.

That's what I always do when I get a car/truck. Makes a big difference in the long run and it shows that you have pride of ownership.

Keep going!

Old 05-10-2019, 05:23 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pappawheely View Post
Sky's Offroad Design shackle reversal
Can you tell us about this? I'm familiar with ORU's shackle reversal kit, but its price has doubled over the years. They're located in SoCal, which could explain the inflation.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Pappawheely
Senior User
Pappawheely has a good reputation on FTE.Pappawheely has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu View Post
Can you tell us about this? I'm familiar with ORU's shackle reversal kit, but its price has doubled over the years. They're located in SoCal, which could explain the inflation.
SORD has a shackle reversal kit that moves the shackle from front to rear. It makes the truck ride 200% better. These trucks are like a padded brick from the factory. I reversed the shackle (with the sky's kit) and went with atlas progressive leaf springs. Now I can actually drive offroad without denting the roof with my head. https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/co...perduty-spring

Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
I'm not clear on why Sky mentions SD springs. Their page doesn't explain it or I missed seeing that. Do they mean that you have to source your own SD springs to run their kit? There's no picture of leaf springs in the description, so it's doubtful that the kit comes with springs. https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/co...13845239365698

ORU's kit is actually $50 less expensive, but then you need to purchase a dropped pitman arm and longer shocks. Come to think of it, Sky's kit does not show those in the exploded view either. So the kits look remarkably similar. Except for that mention of SD springs by Sky. When they say SD, that could only be 99-04 because SDs got front coils (and death wobble) in 2005. Junkyard 99-04 donor trucks are getting rare.

The ORU guys have been around for many years and I know of folks happy with them, so I'd probably go with that. IIRC, they were the guys that first started pushing Dynatrac's unit bearing eliminator kit too, at least in FourWheeler mag in the early 2000s.

But it's late and I'm ranting...

Old 05-10-2019, 10:48 PM
Pappawheely
Senior User
Yes, super duty springs. I had atlas make a custom set for me.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
So they look like these? (but cleaner and without the bottom 2 short leaves)
This is my 04

Old 05-10-2019, 11:01 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Most all of the RSK kits will utilize SD 99-04 springs as you mentioned. Some allow the use of the front axle from the SD as well.

PMF makes a nice looking RSK bracket with a few options and is bolt on. Leaf springs can be sourced locally or at a few online places.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:01 PM
Pappawheely
Senior User

Old 05-11-2019, 07:18 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Posting Guru
How much did those new SD springs set you back? I knew a good spring fab shop in the Sacramento area, but they closed.
Ford was so proud of their monoleaf design. Then they walked that back with the SD.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:44 PM
calvinhg
New User
Small update

Been pretty busy so I haven't done much. Yesterday was too cold (in Texas! Someone bring me whoever is responsible so I can complain!)

I wanted to fix the clutch down to crank restriction, that is to say, you needed to push the clutch all the way down for the truck to crank. So I had a look at the pedal, and it has two microswitches, on each side, so that one is closed when the pedal is all the way up, and the other is closed when the pedal is all the way down. Looked aftermarket.
(will insert pic when I get to my computer)
They have 3 lugs, but only 2 wires so I played around with them and got it to crank all the time except when the clutch is all the way down (and trust me it's really far down). I couldn't get it to crank all the time, except for wire tying the bottom switch closed, which would be sloppy imo.

Also got a viper 5101 off of eBay for $90, refurbished, but the listing said it was two way whereas it clearly is one way... Looked at the installation PDF and wow it's really complicated. Might just return that 5101 and get a professional to install a two way. Has anyone installed a viper, and how hard was it?

That's all for today. Thanks for all the comments!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:38 PM
calvinhg
New User
Random things I've been thinking about:

I'm not sure y'all noticed but I don't like electronics. You know what's electronic? The odometer, and the trip odometer. I wonder... Could I take a dash with a mechanic odo and tripodo, and swap it in?
Why does the headliner sag do much when I get in in the morning, but after driving it is way more tense?
Speaking of the headliner, has anyone dropped theirs? I heard you need to take the windshield out...
I need better, bigger mirrors. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
What's this weird orange stuff falling out of my driver seat? Very flakey, translucent. Should I be concerned about it?
How do you take the steering wheel cover off? I'd like to have a look at the cruise control because it doesn't coast.
Any good light bar recommendations? And where to mount it? (not on the bumper I like my chrome)
Also, good place I can buy a good bunch of led lights? Doors, dome lights, tail lights, headlights, blinkers... Pretty much everything.

I haven't researched any of this yet so don't feel up l obliged to answer the stupid questions. This is a list to remind myself what I wanna do, probably.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Pappawheely
Senior User
I've not been able to figure out a way that the headliner comes out other than removing the wind shield or cutting it into pieces. The switch on the clutch is so you don't crank it over while in gear. Might be useful. For mirrors, lights and all that other flotsam it depends on the quality you want. JC whitney has all that junk and wolf whistles too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.