Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Introducing the Ronco Stab-Me-Not™

Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Introducing the Ronco Stab-Me-Not™

Greetings All,

While replacing the timing cover on my '84 351W, I thought of tracking down the engineer who thought, "Let's put a sharp object sticking up precisely where any mechanic will have to lean over while working on the engine". Some might call it a safety catch for the hood, but I call it The Impaler:

The Impaler

So I gets to thinking to myself. Twenty-seven years I've owned this truck, and I've come to hate that stupid safety catch. Twenty-seven years too late, I decided to finally do something about it. The impetus was the bruise left on my chest after fighting two days with the timing cover project. It's probably best if I don't post a picture of the bruise, unless you've got a thing for overweight middle-aged white guys...

I've always draped a blanket over the grill to protect the area while working, but that isn't much padding. I decided to build a little box to stop that foolish catch from stabbing me. Here's the starting point, a Sterilite #1961 container:

A Sterilite #1961 container set me back about $4 at my local department store. They are readily available from online sources, too:

Sterilite #1961

If you want to use another brand, look for something with similar dimensions, with approximately 2.5" inside height without the lid.

I cut a piece of 3/4" particle board to sit in the bottom of the container and keep it from sliding around. Here are the dimensions, using the latest CAD (Cardboard Assisted Design) program. The finished piece (in white) is shown at the top. I used particle board, but plywood or any similar material would work fine. I drilled 1/4" holes in the corners of the cutout and then finished up with a coping saw:

I then centered this guide piece in the bottom of the container and secured it with four screws. Here's the finished product in all its glory. Note I've removed the locking clips for the lid. They just pop out with a screwdriver:

And the moment we've all been waiting for, the Ronco Stab-Me-Not™ installed on the truck. The particle board guide keeps the container solidly in position. I can now lean over the grill without leaving a gaping chest wound. Not shown, but I still cover the grill with blanket:

Old 05-04-2019, 07:27 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Will this work on my 81 with a 300 six?

Now when someone ask what you did over the weekend you don't have any battle scars to show or be able to say "you should see the truck!"

JK way to go.
So far I have not needed to lean over the front ....... yet
Dave ----

Old 05-04-2019, 07:41 AM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Will this work on my 81 with a 300 six?
Sorry, it only covers 80 and 82-86 for the 300-6, and all years for other engines.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kr98664 View Post
Sorry, it only covers 80 and 82-86 for the 300-6, and all years for other engines.
LOL and I thought 80 was the strange year for things like wiring LOL
Dave ----

Old 05-04-2019, 08:24 AM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
Nice idea, thanks for sharing. Reps

Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Old Hickory
Elder User
Old Hickory is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Old Hickory is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great idea, mine has gotten me a few times.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Kramercd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Man, I thought you were going to do something crazy, like build two safety catches to go in either corner with a central lever mounted just below the level of the grill in the center and do away with the stock one. Glad it was something I got lots of parts laying around for. Has anyone requested a sticky for this yet? ctubutis

Old 05-04-2019, 08:59 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Kramercd View Post
Man, I thought you were going to do something crazy, like build two safety catches to go in either corner with a central lever mounted just below the level of the grill in the center and do away with the stock one. Glad it was something I got lots of parts laying around for. Has anyone requested a sticky for this yet? ctubutis

Just you.

How about if we put it into the HOWTOs subforum? kr98664 We're kinda maxing out on number of stickies.

We really need to re-do the stickies & subforums, I'll bet half that stuff doesn't work anymore....

Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Just you.

How about if we put it into the HOWTOs subforum? kr98664 We're kinda maxing out on number of stickies.

We really need to re-do the stickies & subforums, I'll bet half that stuff doesn't work anymore....
Pretty much. I've been through most of them, but still have a bunch of tabs open I need to read through.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 AM
Rembrant
Elder User
Rembrant is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"Just set it, and forget it!".

Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM
kr98664
Posting Guru
Has anyone requested a sticky for this yet?
Oh, I'm honored, but I don't think this little doohickey is Sticky-Worthy™.

Maybe just put it in the How-To section, perhaps in a folder labelled "Amazing stuff by Karl, an all-around genius, yet he's refreshingly modest for how great he is, and rumor has it he smells nice, too." Use your own words, of course.

Or you could just move it to the How-To section...

Old 05-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Oh, I'm honored, but I don't think this little doohickey is Sticky-Worthy™.

Maybe just put it in the How-To section, perhaps in a folder labelled "Amazing stuff by Karl, an all-around genius, yet he's refreshingly modest for how great he is, and rumor has it he smells nice, too." Use your own words, of course.

Or you could just move it to the How-To section...
Did you try just setting a small cup over it? ...still think you should figure out how to make safety catches in the corners with a central release....

Old 05-05-2019, 07:02 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
Did you try just setting a small cup over it?
Yes I did. I also tried a small metal mixing bowl and a tennis ball with a slit cut in it. The cup and bowl prevented injury, but still flopped around. Even with the tennis ball, you had a big “no-go” zone around the hook and the latch mechanism next to it. You couldn’t really lean across any of those devices or even rest your arm there.

That’s why I am so happy with the current doohickey. Even though it sticks up 3 inches, it is a very solid platform. I can lean on it if needed. (I typically use a step stool for a little extra height even though I’m a tall guy) But it works best of all when I’m on either side and can rest my arm on it. It’s nice having a flat rigid surface there now, instead of an obstacle course with pointy bits.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Kramercd
Elder User
Yes I did. I also tried a small metal mixing bowl and a tennis ball with a slit cut in it. The cup and bowl prevented injury, but still flopped around. Even with the tennis ball, you had a big “no-go” zone around the hook and the latch mechanism next to it. You couldn’t really lean across any of those devices or even rest your arm there.

That’s why I am so happy with the current doohickey. Even though it sticks up 3 inches, it is a very solid platform. I can lean on it if needed. (I typically use a step stool for a little extra height even though I’m a tall guy) But it works best of all when I’m on either side and can rest my arm on it. It’s nice having a flat rigid surface there now, instead of an obstacle course with pointy bits.
I tend to just dive up there head first and hope I land where I need to, or climb over the fender and rest a foot on the frame, or something solid like the dizzy or the fuel lines.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:40 PM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
I've had to climb up and sit on the radiator support, your device will give me a better spot to sit on...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.