Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serial Number Location on the Block?

Old 05-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Caleb H
Senior User
Caleb H is starting off with a positive reputation.
Serial Number Location on the Block?

Hey guys, quick question. We have a brand new 6.8L block straight from Ford and we’re trying to find the serial number. I saw that they’re on the valve cover when assembled in a truck but we just have the block and we can’t seem to find any numbers other than the casting numbers.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
I don't think they put serial or VIN numbers on these engines anymore. What are you trying to find out?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Caleb H
Senior User
Caleb H is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks, that's sort of what we ended up figuring. Sorry for the lack of information in the initial post, I usually will post stuff on here from my computer but that was a spur-of-the-moment message from my cell phone. I work in the shipping department of a Ford dealership and we were trying to figure out the serial number for the block because it's our standard procedure to note the serial number of any powertrain unit we ship out in the off-chance it ends up requiring some sort of warranty work in the future. I think the salesman who was dealing with the client picked a casting number off of the block and used that instead since we began to realize there was probably no serial number on it. Thank you for confirming! If I remember right, I delivered a complete (more or less) 6.8L V10 recently that did in fact come with a serial number, but I do suppose it would make sense for just the block alone not to have one. Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2019, 04:18 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Caleb H View Post
If I remember right, I delivered a complete (more or less) 6.8L V10 recently that did in fact come with a serial number, but I do suppose it would make sense for just the block alone not to have one. Thanks again!
I was going to comment serial numbers weren't part of new factory installed engines---any sticker or label with a bar code would be for inventory usage more than keeping track of any one part or assembly.

I did see a serial tag on a new Ford reman'd 5.4 I recently installed---when calling Powertrain Warranty they asked for that number along with the dealership invoice number to initiate a warranty claim. Some of the visible casting, engineering or other numbers on parts can be misleading to a lot of us. When first dealing with newer Ford parts I thought such numbers were direct part numbers--its an easy mistake to make I think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.