Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

9 inch yoke - different lengths?

 
  #16  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:24 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 83,134
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
I knew you didn't need the "flange," I posted the part number because it was the only one installed on your truck, there are no others.
 
  #17  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Rusty_S's Avatar
Rusty_S
Rusty_S is online now
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,614
Rusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
I knew you didn't need the "flange," I posted the part number because it was the only one installed on your truck, there are no others.
So only one for my specific application that is 4 1/16" over all length. But looking at the page you were using for reference there are 9 different flanges listed that has a 1330 Ujoint. So that tells me I have to be careful then cause I see one with a 3" length as shortest and the longest is 4 1/16". Makes me wonder if the 4 1/16" would be considered a long flange by Currie.

Well I did a little digging on other sites looks like the Currie short flange is 4" over all height and the long flange is 5" over all height. Guess the short would be the one for my application as 1/16" I don't think would result in a issue of the driveshaft falling out of the transmission on suspension travel.
 
  #18  
Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 83,134
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Rusty_S View Post
So only one for my specific application that is 4 1/16" over all length. But looking at the page you were using for reference there are 9 different flanges listed that has a 1330 Ujoint. So that tells me I have to be careful then cause I see one with a 3" length as shortest and the longest is 4 1/16". Makes me wonder if the 4 1/16" would be considered a long flange by Currie.

Well I did a little digging on other sites looks like the Currie short flange is 4" over all height and the long flange is 5" over all height. Guess the short would be the one for my application as 1/16" I don't think would result in a issue of the driveshaft falling out of the transmission on suspension travel.
D9TZ-4851-A was the only 9" flange installed on your truck, there were no others.

Here's parts list #88 for 1980/86 9 inch. Look at the upper right for D9TZ-4851-A followed by 1330 size - 1980/83

(sigh) You can lead a mule to water, but you can't make it drink.

 
  #19  
Old 05-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Rusty_S's Avatar
Rusty_S
Rusty_S is online now
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,614
Rusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to behold
I know it was the only flange installed on my truck. You need to read what I said slowly and focus on every word. There are numerous other sizes which tells me there was no standardized short/long flange.
 
  #20  
Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 83,134
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Rusty_S View Post
I know it was the only flange installed on my truck. You need to read what I said slowly and focus on every word. There are numerous other sizes which tells me there was no standardized short/long flange.
There are numerous other sizes, but none were installed on your truck.

I knew beforehand that I shouldn't respond to this thread, because it would open a can of worms, but I did it anyway.

finis
 
  #21  
Old 05-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Rusty_S's Avatar
Rusty_S
Rusty_S is online now
Postmaster
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,614
Rusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to beholdRusty_S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
There are numerous other sizes, but none were installed on your truck.

I knew beforehand that I shouldn't respond to this thread, because it would open a can of worms, but I did it anyway.

finis
Only can of worms being opened is by you from your lack of reading comprehensionson. I dont know how to word it any simpler. I know you know the 9" axle was used in more than just trucks it was also used in cars. When looking at a generic assembled third member that doesnt have any listing for its application I cant just focus on the one correct flanges for my truck that was installed.

Since I know the flanges they use is a 1330 joint style I browsed the other sizes which tells me there were other sizes used. Now I didn't go digging deeper to see if they were all 9" applicable mainly cause I found out the short flanges they are using is 1/16" shorter than what I currently have. Shouldn't be a problem other than moving the drive shaft out 1/16" from where it rides now on the transmission seal.

If I get a reply from Currie maybe they would be willing to use a flanged I send in and I can just source another but I honestly dont think 1/16" is anything to worry about.

Plus I didn't think about it till now I cant use the proper yoke anyway cause all their assembled third members are using the big pinion bearing housing. Would have to dig that up and see but I'm pretty sure mine is the small pinion bearing.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.