Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Shocks, blocks or air lift?

Old 04-29-2019, 10:09 PM
Matt Geller
New User
Matt Geller is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shocks, blocks or air lift?

2016 - F250 - Crew cab, short box, gas.

Now that I have my mid height topper, decked drawers and assortment of junk in the drawers. I find the rear of my truck sits about .75" lower then the front. I bought this truck used so really have no idea what the guy before me did. Is that my sag expected (figure maybe 700-800lbs of load). I tow pretty regularlly, but mainly < 4k lbs. But the wife keeps hinting at a camper.

Things I am looking into so far:
- Air lift Loadlifter (concerned about daily ride, truck is already harsh versus my F150)
- F350 4" blocks
- New shocks Ranchro RS9000 XL (also like the better ride with adjustment options)

I don't mind some sag when I tow, but it just looks stupid for daily driving. Any other things I should be considering? What is the best route?

Old 04-30-2019, 04:18 AM
Optimistic Paranoid
Senior User
Optimistic Paranoid is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shocks will do nothing to correct sag.

Unless you go for air shocks or shocks with built-in helper springs. And they're really not a good idea because shock mounts weren't designed to carry weight and might snap off if too much weight is put on them

Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 AM
Sir Kayakalot
Elder User
Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Go with the taller blocks AND air bags. The taller block will get you back to level and then when you hook up trailer, camper, etc., you can air up the bags and stay level. Win win

Old 04-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Matt Geller
New User
Originally Posted by Sir Kayakalot View Post
Go with the taller blocks AND air bags. The taller block will get you back to level and then when you hook up trailer, camper, etc., you can air up the bags and stay level. Win win
Isn’t a 4” block going to put me high in the rear 1.25” now? Does someone make a 3” block?

Old 05-01-2019, 10:10 AM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
I'd recommend the air bags with the pump and cab control. I have air bags, no on board pump. It gives you almost infinite adjust-ability for ride height which is nice if your payload keeps changing. These newer trucks really benefit form air bags. 15 years ago you didn't ever see a Superduty dragging its tail. Now it is becoming a common sight.

I've noticed running empty with 5-10 lbs in the air bags the ride quality improves a little. It will never be comparable to a 1/4 ton truck. Put 2500 lbs of limestone in the bed and it will ride like a Cadillac.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:55 PM
Matt Geller
New User
Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
I'd recommend the air bags with the pump and cab control. I have air bags, no on board pump. It gives you almost infinite adjust-ability for ride height which is nice if your payload keeps changing. These newer trucks really benefit form air bags. 15 years ago you didn't ever see a Superduty dragging its tail. Now it is becoming a common sight.

I've noticed running empty with 5-10 lbs in the air bags the ride quality improves a little. It will never be comparable to a 1/4 ton truck. Put 2500 lbs of limestone in the bed and it will ride like a Cadillac.
After some debate and alot of reading I ordered Air Lift 5000 bags and the Wireless One 2nd Gen with the HD compressor.

- I didn't go for the ultimate bags because of complaints about the internal bumper and ride quality
- Went for HD compressor due to comments about ability to fill when under heavy load and longevity. I don't plan to remove travel trailer to change PSI.
- Opted against the blocks for now, people talked about 5psi in the bags giving them 1/2-3/4" which would fix my squat. The blocks seemed like they would just give me 1"+ of rake even more if I empted out my truck for some reason.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Install should be next Thursday with a Friday tow of the travel trailer.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Bdox
Iconoclast
Bdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputationBdox has a superb reputation
Very good Matt! Be sure to post the results, OK?

Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Matt Geller
New User
5000 bags and HD compressor are in. 7-8 PSI levels the truck perfectly with topper, drawers and some tools. Ride is much improved. Total cost should be $1050 with install after rebate.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Sir Kayakalot
Elder User
Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sir Kayakalot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice. You won’t regret that decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.