Notices
6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

new motor or replace the heads?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:09 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.bla1879 has a good reputation on FTE.
new motor or replace the heads?

Situation: Friday April 26, Driving north on the 5 interstate, begin to feel a strange vibration at 70 mph. Check gauges, everything ok. continue seraching in mirrors and looking at road surface for clues. CEL comes on, about 20 seconds later CEL begins to flash. Pull over to first safe spot truck is running SUPER rough. Feels/sounds like misfires on multiple cylinders. Feels and sounds like a dragster with a wicked cam in it. No knocking, no mechanical problem sounds other than a very rough idle. I turn off the motor, pop the hood, investigate see/smell nothing out of the ordinary, plug wires all intact as far as I can tell, no leaking fluids. Decide to take it into nearest town which is Los Banos. Take to local shop recommended by Ford dealership since dealership cant see truck till Monday (today April 29).

Leave the truck there over the weekend get a call today when I'm back home in Simi Valley from the shop. He tells me cylinders 1 and 3 have low compression, 1 has 50 lbs and 3 has 20 pounds the rest have in the neighborhood of 250. He also ran a vacuum test and showed me the results but as I am unfamiliar with what he was showing me I forget the exact numbers he gave me but it was below what he told me it was supposed to be. Additionally he said there is a broken rocker arm with a bent valve and broken valve spring. Tells me he opened the head and found it dry, no oil, with springs and rockers black/very very dark colored from excessive heat. Says he suspects that an oil passage blockage (somewhere he can't find) has left the top of the motor dry and the heat has caused the failures.

He tells me he can replace the heads but does not think that is going to fix the problem and doesn't want me to pay him to do that when it may not actually fix whatever the problem is. He recommends a new engine and has prices for me that really don't sound too unreasonable ($7k out the door for motor with 49k miles, $11k out the door for remanufactured motor). He mentioned a problem with the oil that Ford says should be used with these motors the "synthetic blend" and that there have been thousands of complaints about the issue. I'm unaware of this if it is true or not.

I have no reason not to trust the mechanic, but I have zero history with him. What I wonder is does his diagnosis sound correct? Is this in fact a problem 6.2L are known to have? Would replacing the heads and trying to find the oil blockage be worth it? All I want to do is make the right decision. Money matters to me, I'm not rich, but I just want to make the correct decision here and not have to end up doing this again in 3 months. Is it worth it to go get the truck and bring it back to where I live for a second opinion? Currently, I feel like whatever the hassle to get the truck to me will be is worth it to have the peace of mind of having the truck at a mechanic I KNOW I can trust.

The shop is 4 hours from my house so going to get the truck for a second opinion is going to be quite an ordeal and require more money or massive favors.

Any ideas, opinions, or advice is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Old 04-29-2019, 07:41 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.
If it's really as bad as he says it is, a set of heads will not fix it. That "bent valve" got bent by hitting a piston. That usually doesn't do the piston any good either. Sounds like you need an engine. And if the top end wasn't getting oil, the bottom end is probably hosed anyway. If not toasted bearings, they've at least had a bunch of shrapnel run through them by now.

And sounds like total "BS" to me on the "thousands" of complaints about the synthetic blend oil being an issue. If it really was, these forums would be lit up like a Christmas tree about it.

If it were mine, I'd go and get it. Easy for me to say, I have a car trailer, and friends that would pull mine home if the worst happens like you've experienced. But I'd want mine home, where I can look at it myself, and figure out what my next plan was, not 4 hrs away in some stranger's shop.

Good luck man.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:08 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post

And sounds like total "BS" to me on the "thousands" of complaints about the synthetic blend oil being an issue. If it really was, these forums would be lit up like a Christmas tree about it.

If it were mine, I'd go and get it. Easy for me to say, I have a car trailer, and friends that would pull mine home if the worst happens like you've experienced. But I'd want mine home, where I can look at it myself, and figure out what my next plan was, not 4 hrs away in some stranger's shop.
I agree on both counts. I did a lot of research on the 6.2L before buying it and never found anything about any oil problems so that struck me as curious as well.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:36 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
You are getting mis information and a mechanic trying to make money. Unfortunately in Los Banos you are limited and the dealer there is hack anyways. If you want it done and done right have the truck towed. Have the truck towed to Country Ford Trucks in Ceres it's the next town over. That's the biggest Ford Fleet center in the Central Valley and they will do it right. If they don't send me a PM and I can help you.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
tow it home.or to a local dealership...
by a friend,,, tow company.... I understand more money.. and time.

early 2011 had valve spring issues.. not the newer ones...

the shop story does not wash for me...

250.. NO WAY.... 150 OK...
retired mechanic,, NOT FORD...

so Sorry for your troubles...

Old 04-30-2019, 10:49 AM
Squisher
Elder User
Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.
I vote too for atleast a second opinion. Also was wondering about those cylinder pressure numbers. 250?

Old 04-30-2019, 12:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i agree with the rest of the guys, he is trying to make money off you.
how many mile son the "blown" engine?

Old 04-30-2019, 08:50 PM
SnowPlowDriver
Senior User
SnowPlowDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Salvage yard near me has two 6.2s. $2200 for a 2011 with 190k and a 2013 with 76k for $3400. What would a shop charge to exchange an engine?
My advice to the OP is replace the engine rather than just the hezds.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:22 AM
Juneaudave
Junior User
Juneaudave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm with the "bring it home" crowd. Long distances and lack of time are not conducive to good decisions. I would want the work done closer to home anyway just in case there are issues with the repairs...

Old 05-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Ron94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to all
Pretty sure a ford remanufactured engine with warranty is under 6k. I can't see paying anymore than about $7500 to be fair for someone to install you a new engine. Maybe 4K for a good low mileage used motor.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
Thanks for all the replies. I did decide to bring it home. Rented a brand new 2019 F250 with a 6.7 from Enterprise Truck Rentals and borrowed a buddies trailer and BARELY fit my truck on the trailer. If it had been 4 inches longer it would have made things considerably more difficult. But made the 8.5 hour round trip to Los Banos and back. Dropped it at a specialty truck shop just down the street from my house so I can easily go check things out.

But now I want a 2019 with the 6.7! It hauled the roughly 8k lbs up the grapevine with ease!

Dont worry, the yellow tie downs weren't the only thing holding it on. She had a pair of chains on each axle too!

Old 05-02-2019, 12:46 AM
Squisher
Elder User
Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.
Good deal. Please be sure to update the progress/diagnosis on the motor.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:08 PM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
geekwithoutacause is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good move. that mechanic was taking you for a ride. These engines are very good. Not 1000's of complaints. And the engine replacement prices seems extreme.
He's probably got you mixed up w a diesel :-)

Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 PM
bla1879
Posting Guru
**UPDATE**

Took the truck to my local shop, Powerhouse Performance. The failure was due to a known valve train problem that Ford has a service bulletin regarding in this family of 6.2L motors. There is a retaining clip having to do with the valve spring and valve, I believe, that broke and allowed itself to be pushed down and break the spring. I don't remember exactly what the details were, it was a bit over my head, technically speaking, but like I mentioned there is a current Ford service bulletin regarding the issue. He recommended a motor replacement and I am getting a brand new 6.2L from Ford put in.

I am getting the newest version of the 6.2L motor which has the valve train problems rectified. This required some small additional electrical wiring harness connections but will eliminate the possibility of this specific valve train related problem from happening again. The price difference between a remanufactured motor direct from Ford and a brand new motor, through this shop, was only about $1k so I went for the brand new motor from Ford. Without getting into specifics I will be driving away for less than $9k all told. The shop in Los Banos had quoted me $11k for a non Ford remanned motor. So, I feel good now knowing that a shop I trust was able to give me details about the problem and point to a Ford service bulletin regarding what happened in my motor.

Everything considered, I am glad that I went and got the truck. Even though the motor still needs to be replaced knowing that I am getting a brand new motor of the next generation which has fixed the known problem and for more than $2k less than the Los Banos shop quoted me (for a remanned motor, not a brand new motor) gives me peace of mind that I am making the right decision and chose a quality shop that can be trusted.

The truck should be done next week and they are going to send me pictures of the broken pieces and the new work as it happens. I will continue to update the thread during the repairs and after I get the truck back.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Ron94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to allRon94150 is a name known to all
That sounds better all around. I had said about 7500 for a ford reman installed, so that sounds fair to me. Try to find out if this is the later version of the first gen, or if they are putting a 17^ motor in with bigger valves and different cam(also uses a different intake, but may work with old one). That would be good for all of us to know, because there is a significant torque increase at a lower rpm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: