General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What are your Favourite Food Outlets ...The U.S. ONLY Please !

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 12:04 AM
460lover
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>my favorite places to eat are the hometown resturaunts
>around here in georgia, they all have the best atmospheres
>and most friendly people... we have big jim's wingshack,
>wings and things, the longbranch, and the bluehorse cafe(my
>favorite..they have the best southern home cooking) and
>rodeos to top it off, im surprised nobobdy has mentioned
>chickfila, they are great

Never been to chickfila, haven't heard much of them. I think there may be one in Phoenix, or a chain similar to them.

Old 08-05-2002, 06:52 PM
EricInHouston
New User

The Whataburger in Georgia is not part of the same chain. The one headquartered in Texas doesn't have one in Georgia. I found out that the Whataburger I eat here in Houston is not the same one I ate as a child in Richmond, VA.

Weird, I know, but true.

Just FYI.

Old 08-05-2002, 07:11 PM
FXSTC
Senior User

>Never been to chickfila, haven't heard much of them. I
>think there may be one in Phoenix, or a chain similar to
>them.

Chick-fil-a is great!

There is on in every mall in the Phoenix area. They are closed on Sunday though.

I like Popeye's fried chicken too.

When on two wheels-
FXSTC
Mesa- AZ

2003, F-350, Lariat, V10, CC, LWB, Dark Shadow Grey, 6sp Manual, Non-ESOF FX4, 4.30, Camper Pkg, et. al.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:00 PM
theologian
Postmaster

My favorite, and Sarah's, is a little heard of sandwich place, available more or less everywhere, that has the very best sandwiches anywhere. That food outlet is Honey Baked Ham Store, where you can get a choice of 5 sandwiches, chips and drinks. They are the best. Then would have to be Arby's, then perhaps Carl's Junior, who have the best steak sandwich outside a steak house.

Wm
'96 F450 White with Grey interior Crew Cab. Banks Turbo, Intercooler and Exhaust,
Power pack Chip, shift kit, Auxiliary transmission, electronic enhanced transmission control,
16 forward and 4 reverse ratios. 340hp 660ft lb 4 wheel drive, 4.10 gears, 12,ooo# winch

Old 08-07-2002, 02:53 AM
83bigbroncoguy
Senior User

Chili's
Lone Star
Hooters (and not only for the atmosphere)
SubWay
Steak n Shake
The Steak Escape
Logan's Roadhouse
El Chico
Also, there is a little place in Bells, TN that serves the best burger I've ever eaten called "The Burger Basket."

Old 08-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Brncomtb
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Aug-02 AT 01:27 PM (EST)]Outback stake house
Waffle House
Off the grill
Fudruckers
Subway
Fazzoli's
McAllisters(i think this is a south eastern place)

Just some of my favorites

JON

Old 08-07-2002, 01:15 PM
Jen
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lets see....Krystals is great! We eat there everytime we spot one. (We don't have them in Texas). Another favorite is Red Lobster, or any sea food place!

Gig'em

Old 08-07-2002, 03:39 PM
brienobrien
Elder User

Well I guess I am going to have to be the food snob here. Sorry but I just can't get past many of the chain joints mentioned. Maybe I am just getting old. You may get what you pay for, but then again, you may just have to settle with what the "cook" slops out of the kitchen. They are singular in their food prep and cooking though. What you get in one city, you are sure to get in another. (Where am I today?) There is something to be said for consistency, though. The chain restaurants will, of course, train their cooks in food preparation and presentation their way, and only their way. I can't say it is no good, it is just their way. I have ordered off many of these menus, and the food served can be just awful. However, I do stay with the Caesar salads if I get roped into these places. Safety has its price.

I have eaten at Fudruckers, and did enjoy their burgers, but now I only eat Buffalo meat for hamburger. I do indulge in steaks,very infrequently, but usually only at home off my own grill. This because when I eat out I like to order something I can't prepare myself. This will usually restrict me to more of an individual type of non chain restaurant. Ethnic restaurants can be very interesting, modestly priced, and very satisfying. The more expensive ones I will try for lunch before I drop $$$$ on a meal and wine for two. Lunch can usually be had for much less than dinner and it is a good indication of what you can expect. I find that we like the local pubs as well. Good bang for the buck. Anyone in the central New England area should recognize Picadilly Pub as excellent pub food.

Some pizza joints are great. They only chain we will patronize is Papa Ginos. It is borderline good, but can't compare to real New York City style pizza. Pizza must be prepared by the Italians. I suppose there are exceptions but it generally is the the rule I fly by. I like to blunder into unfamiliar local restaurants just for the fun and adventure of it. I find it can be dicey but it also can be very exciting to discover excellent food at reasonable prices.

Sorry to be the food critic but diet and experience often disqualify me from the chain joints. I still seem to spend a fair amount of $$$$$$$$$ (dough) out in the restaurant world. One last thing: I am glad I am not a government health inspector because I probably would'nt dine out at all! I have been in many commercial kitchens when the inspectors are not around. I have also seen some practices that would probably gross you out so I will spare you all the details.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I take my dining out as important as dining in, and I am sure you do as well.
Brien

Old 08-07-2002, 04:17 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Aug-02 AT 05:21 PM (EST)]Gunther Toody's Diner. It's a chain, but I am not sure how 'national' it is. We have 5 here in the Denver area. Wednesday night is .05 burger night, but one at reagular price, get one for a nickel. It's a 50's style restaurant. Atmosphere is great, albeit a bit noisy at times.

Number 2 is Hooters. :+ Used to have a great chef's salad, but have changed it for the much worse. Burgers and hot buffalo wings.

Number 3 is Qdoba Mexican Grill. Absolutely love their steak fajita classica.

I have not seen any of the micro brewery's mentioned yet. Rock Bottom Brewery, CB and Potts are two great places to eat here in Denver. Colorado has more micro breweries than any other state. At least that is what I have been told, and tell everyone else!

"Nuff for now......

Old 08-07-2002, 05:58 PM
icelander
Elder User

>(Norfolk Virginia area)
>
>#1) "El Azteca"! Excellent traditional S.A. food, great
>atmosphere...
>
>#2) "Formosa" Dynamite buffette, and Mongolian BBQ.

I totally agree on El Azteca! the only one ive been to is the one at Hilltop off Laskin. can you believe that place used to be a mcdonalds? when did the build the one on shore dr.?

where is Formosa?

Old 08-07-2002, 07:33 PM
mick460
Elder User

Here in the midwest, where we are pleasingly plump, Culvers serves some good burgers and sandwiches for a chain. I do like Fridays and Chilis and Applebys cuz there you wash it all down with a alcohol beverage. I prefer going to nonchain places and keeping the "little guy" in business.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:31 AM
bukrog32
New User

MY favorite when traveling would have to be Shoney's they have the greatest breakfast buffet in my book.

Buck Rogers
2000 F-150 4X4 Off-Road
Deep Wedgewood Blue
5.4 Triton V-8

Old 08-08-2002, 12:58 PM
paveslave
Senior User

Wendys is of course the all time best tasting fast food joint around. They always have freshest lettuce, tomato and onions. They beat all burger places hands down for taste.. If you're taling about Steaks though, there is no better steakhouse than McGuires. Besides, they brew their own beer on the spot and if that aint cool then I don't know what is, lol. Seriously though they have the best steaks anywhere.

-Ry

-If it aint broke, fix it till it is...

-Stop telling God how big your problems are, instead
tell your problems how big your God is...

1985 F-150 302 4X4
Dana 44 TTB / 9 inch
4.56:1 Front/True-Trac
4.56:1 Rear/Detroit Locker
C-6 Tranny, NP208 Transfer
6 inch Skyjacker Class II lift
35 X 12.50 BFGoods AT's

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=6696&.jpg https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=6663&.jpg

Old 08-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Oneof6
Senior User

Chick-a-fillet, clean, always friendly closed on Sunday. This corporation has a standard policy to forgo profits by not working or opening Sunday. It's employees are allowed to spend time with family and go to church. I also like the nuggets.

Old 08-09-2002, 05:00 PM
groundrat
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not too sure how many people here are from the greater Boston area in Massachusetts, but if you are you will know these.

steak: Hilltop Steak house.
Itallian: Vinni Testas( can we say 16 inch dish of pasta?)
All around food: The 99 Restaraunt and the Old Salt(Hampton Beach NH)
Pizza: Prince Pizza
Fast Food/Roast beef: Kelly's Roast Beef
Subs: Pretty much anywhere except subway but my fav is Beach Side

When I was In Mississippi I really enjoyed Sonic. I liked the idea of attractive girls on roller skates brining me food.

And i will agree with Hooters. Love the "atmosphere"

Bill

Quick Reply: What are your Favourite Food Outlets ...The U.S. ONLY Please !