Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford electric brake and plug

Old 04-23-2019, 01:59 PM
Lance Nelson
New User
Lance Nelson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford electric brake and plug

Hello, I have a brand new 2016 left over F350 XL and a new dual axle 20 ft trailer with electric brakes. The problem is the trailer brakes only work when squeezing the controller manually, and never works when pressing the brake pedal. The guide/manual is very vague but it seems it should also work when braking with the truck brake pedal. Do I need a separate controller to make these trailer brakes work correctly, or should they be working with the stock set up? Thanks!

Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 PM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
Is the brake controller programmed into the console? Our F-150 will display the brake pedal %force when a trailer is connected. I would thnk the F350 would be real similar.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM
scott91370
Posting Guru
scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.
Almost 3 year old NEW truck? I'm no help just thought - WOW!

Old 04-23-2019, 03:45 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Lance Nelson View Post
Hello, I have a brand new 2016 left over F350 XL and a new dual axle 20 ft trailer with electric brakes. The problem is the trailer brakes only work when squeezing the controller manually, and never works when pressing the brake pedal. The guide/manual is very vague but it seems it should also work when braking with the truck brake pedal. Do I need a separate controller to make these trailer brakes work correctly, or should they be working with the stock set up? Thanks!
Make sure your trailer brake settings are set for the brake type and your gain is adjusted.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Lance Nelson
New User
Originally Posted by GlueGuy View Post
Is the brake controller programmed into the console? Our F-150 will display the brake pedal %force when a trailer is connected. I would thnk the F350 would be real similar.
I get no % on the dash at all when using the brake pedal, just when squeezing the manual controller I do. Not sure what you mean when you say programmed into the console? It doesnt come from dealer ready to go?

Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Lance Nelson
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
Make sure your trailer brake settings are set for the brake type and your gain is adjusted.
Brake setting is set to electric brakes and gain is adjusted to 8.5. Test Light shows no power to trailer plug brake wire when brake pedal is applied, but does have power when manually squeezed. I must be missing something

Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
ecoboost12 has a good reputation on FTE.ecoboost12 has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to site have you tried the F-250 site they can answer your problems a great bunch of guys

Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Ken Newman
Senior User
Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.Ken Newman has a good reputation on FTE.
I recently added the Ford brake controller to my 2016 F150 and my friend hooked up his laptop to my truck an activated it. If I slide the brake lever over with no trailer connected, I get a chime and it shows no trailer connected on the dash display screen. I'm curious if you manually slide the brake lever over without a trailer connected, does it chime and give the warning? If not, I bet you need to activate it with the software. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: