Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission temps?

Old 04-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Magnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to all
Transmission temps?

What is "normal" transmission temperature range while towing? I was towing my fifth wheel for the first time with my new to me '17 F350 and noticed to transmission gauge read 221*F. I was cruising along I10 at 65-70 mph. This is higher than my '14 F350 would run. Just curious what the difference might be. It was 80* ambient temperature on the drive home.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Singleton3rd
Freshman User
Singleton3rd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds normal under load. New 6.7 run hotter then we are used to.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:29 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Just curious what the difference might be.
The difference is a thermostat that is designed to keep the transmission quite a bit hotter than you're used to. It's normal.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Magnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to allMagnolia Tom is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The difference is a thermostat that is designed to keep the transmission quite a bit hotter than you're used to. It's normal.
Thanks Mark

Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Originally Posted by Singleton3rd
Sounds normal under load. New 6.7 run hotter then we are used to.
Thank you!

Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
I don't worry about the transmission temperature until it gets over 235F. When I drive over mountain passes my transmission temp will usually peak at 232F.

Your trailer has a GVWR of 16K. If you have a head wind I can see the engine and transmission having to work hard to keep up.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Mkos1980
Elder User
Mkos1980 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not much towing time on my new 6.2 truck but unloaded on the highway after awhile it'll bounce between 195 and 205. Towing this past week with an air temp in the mid 50s it was still within the specs listed when I run unloaded. That was with a 9K lbs trailer and a 14K lbs trailer. I was certain it would have been a little higher with the trailers. But then again it was mostly 65-70 on the highway with little or no stop and go.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:02 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Another question...

I have a really hard shift, almost feels like I hit something when it happens, going into 2nd when cold. Happens both upshift and downshift. After it gets to about 90-100*F it shifts normally.

I was going to do a drain and fill but I need to get a new pan because it doesn't have a drain plug. (Why Ford?)

Anyway, is the new fluid going to help at all or is it something else? Maybe a solenoid?

Old 04-28-2019, 08:51 AM
67L48
Senior User
67L48 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Driving on relatively flat terrain on a freeway at 75 MPH, not towing, completely unloaded, 57-62 F ambient temperature, cruise control steady speed: 203 F on my transmission temp. That's about 40 degrees higher than I'd expect on my 2005 F-150. So, my plan is to ignore transmission temperature, because the number is too difficult for me to interpret at this point.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
I need to get a new pan because it doesn't have a drain plug. (Why Ford?)
One word: Cost.

Anyway, is the new fluid going to help at all or is it something else? Maybe a solenoid?
It could be a lot of things. I never worked on this trans so I don't have any specific recommendations.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:53 AM
Mkos1980
Elder User
Mkos1980 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also have a very hard 2nd shift when cold, but only on the second shift of the day... Once it does it once in the morning it doesn't so it again any other time. I call it the confused shift. I have notice though it's been doing it less now that I've towed more and more and have 2300 miles on it. Maybe somethings broken in or learning itself... I have the 6.2 with the 350s 6R140. I'd like to know if the 250s G trans has a cold 2nd shift too...

Old 04-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
One word: Cost.It could be a lot of things. I never worked on this trans so I don't have any specific recommendations.
Thanks again Mark. I'm going to see what happens with a new pan and new fluid. Can't hurt 😀

Old 04-28-2019, 08:46 PM
1dryfly
Freshman User
1dryfly is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been towing a 7000 # camping trailer around for the last month with my new F350 6.2 with 4:30 gears in the northwest over mountain passes up to 5000' and air temps in the high 50's . I have been watching the trans temp and have not seen it go much above 205'. It seems to stay between 195 and 205 all the time. I would think it will run hotter as the air temps increase during summer time.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
I see 240-242 uphill at 40mph running 30k gross at 6% and no issues yet.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Mud Doc is starting off with a positive reputation.
The above is pretty much the same for my '17 450. If everything is working right, you ought to be hearing the fan noise at that point. It gets to a point and stays there, cools back pretty quickly. Been this way since new and I have 54k on it towing at 31k gross.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.