Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

COP/plug upgrade on '99 5.4 or no?

Old 04-19-2019, 04:25 PM
kcducttaper
Senior User
kcducttaper is starting off with a positive reputation.
COP/plug upgrade on '99 5.4 or no?

I've got a 2v 5.4 with 65k miles that has developed a fairly predictable misfire in cylinder #1 when going up a hill. Instead of replacing the stock COP with another stock unit that will probably fail again, I'm considering upgrading all 8 COP's to something with a bit more spunk and perhaps going with iridium plugs for the sake of (hopefully) not having to mess with them again for the next decade or two. Is there a preferred COP 'upgrade' for the old 5.4's or am I just as well off replacing with the stock units?

Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Your only chance for good performance and reliable performance is the genuine Ford parts.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Squisher
Elder User
Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.Squisher has a good reputation on FTE.
Yup. When I had issues with my 03 it was the plugs not the coils

Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
all 8 COP's to something with a bit more spunk and perhaps going with iridium plugs
You'd be wasting your money. If you need new plugs and boots, install them. If you have a failed COP, replace it.

Your only chance for good performance and reliable performance is the genuine Ford parts.
I guess that's why, after 7 years, those two $15 Rockauto COPs I installed to cure misfires with the OEM COPS, are still working fine....

Old 04-20-2019, 08:14 AM
FractureCritical
Senior User
FractureCritical is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
You'd be wasting your money. If you need new plugs and boots, install them. If you have a failed COP, replace it.

I guess that's why, after 7 years, those two $15 Rockauto COPs I installed to cure misfires with the OEM COPS, are still working fine....
but that doesnít matter. The forum has declared that Ford OEM is the only path to success. All other paths are wrong and therefore doomed to fail. If the forum has so declared it, it must be so. Woe be to those who challenge the dogma of the forum.

But like you, Iíve been running perfect for years on aftermarket COPs and boots
<GASP!>

Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 AM
kcducttaper
Senior User
kcducttaper is starting off with a positive reputation.
I may pick up a set of aftermarkets one of these days and go iridium. Yeah, they're expensive, but they're so obnoxious to replace that I wanted to punch the engineers in the spleen when I put new plugs in ~3 years and 20k ago. I'd rather spend some coin and never have to screw with them again.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:37 PM
99f350sd
Post Fiend
99f350sd has a good reputation on FTE.99f350sd has a good reputation on FTE.
Oem coils on Amazon $220 to your door last time I checked. Stock plugs have always worked the best...
Do what you want but I have heard it all since 2003..

Old 04-21-2019, 08:12 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
171k on my 5.4 super duty , and it's still running all 8 original Ford COP's. So IF one finally fails I'll be buying a new Ford COP and not some crap aftermarket unit. And I only install motorcraft plugs also, ever 30k

Old 04-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
99 Triton V10 with 166k miles and two new COP's, Motorcraft and Denso, which are the same. Why mess with something that works.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
All the COP does is step up the voltage pulse.

Say the stock COP has 12v at 10 amps input, and the COP steps it up to 1200v, it'd be 1200v at .1 amps. Either way, it is 120 watts of power. The wattage remains constant.

An aftermarket COP might step up the voltage even more, but at less amps. Say it jumps the voltage to 12,000v, you would have .01 amps.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:42 PM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
The secondary voltage will only rise to the point where the plug fires, it can rise no higher unless the plug gap is increased.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.