Notices

Wanting a 2 or 4 barrel

Old 04-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Ar. Hillbilly
Junior User
Ar. Hillbilly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wanting a 2 or 4 barrel

Iíve fought this yfa all I care to. Itís wore out and wonít stay tight. Iím looking at offenhauser manifolds and 1 to 2 barrel adapters. Iím getting between 7 and 9 mpg out of this low mileage dog.
looking for advice on carb, intake and exhaust. 1983 F150 4x4 C6 duraspark.
all my smog and eve stuff was previously and unprofessionally removed.
i need this fixed or a 351 w in its place.
i have found EFI exhaust manifolds off the shelf at the local parts store.
Im not sure what will and what wonít work with an offy manifold. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:37 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Hi Ar.
I hear you on the YFA. At the end of mine's lifespan, I was getting some pretty terrible gas mileage.

It sounds like you're on the right track with the EFI manifolds. They'll bolt right up to your engine.
You'll want a quality exhaust to take advantage of them. I have a 2.5" from the manifolds to the tailpipe, and really like it.

I'd then suggest an Offenhauser C. The DP is a good piece if you get one used, but after having used both, I think the C is better in most regards.
Plus, you can only use a 4bbl with a DP since it has 4 holes (the C is fully open).

For carbs, a Motorcraft 2150 is hard to beat for simplicity.
If you are interested in a 4bbl, the QuickFuel 450 is a really nicely sized, and very adjustable carburetor. A lot also like the Edelbrock 500. Even a Holley 600cfm works well. I had one on my engine for a while, and even though it was just a tad "soggy" offline due to the large primaries, I got some of my best gas mileage with it (14 in town, 18 interstate). The 300 has big cylinders, so don't be afraid of a bigger carb. I wouldn't go much over 600cfm though.
Note that with the C6, you'll never get the higher mpg numbers you might hear from some others. It likes to suck a bit of power.

Swapping out the intake and exhaust, you won't have much, if anything, left of the emissions equipment, so that'll take care of itself.

There are lots of posts on here about 4bbl upgrades, so check out the search function. Hope that helps!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Ar. Hillbilly
Junior User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
Hi Ar.
I hear you on the YFA. At the end of mine's lifespan, I was getting some pretty terrible gas mileage.

It sounds like you're on the right track with the EFI manifolds. They'll bolt right up to your engine.
You'll want a quality exhaust to take advantage of them. I have a 2.5" from the manifolds to the tailpipe, and really like it.

I'd then suggest an Offenhauser C. The DP is a good piece if you get one used, but after having used both, I think the C is better in most regards.
Plus, you can only use a 4bbl with a DP since it has 4 holes (the C is fully open).

For carbs, a Motorcraft 2150 is hard to beat for simplicity.
If you are interested in a 4bbl, the QuickFuel 450 is a really nicely sized, and very adjustable carburetor. A lot also like the Edelbrock 500. Even a Holley 600cfm works well. I had one on my engine for a while, and even though it was just a tad "soggy" offline due to the large primaries, I got some of my best gas mileage with it (14 in town, 18 interstate). The 300 has big cylinders, so don't be afraid of a bigger carb. I wouldn't go much over 600cfm though.
Note that with the C6, you'll never get the higher mpg numbers you might hear from some others. It likes to suck a bit of power.

Swapping out the intake and exhaust, you won't have much, if anything, left of the emissions equipment, so that'll take care of itself.

There are lots of posts on here about 4bbl upgrades, so check out the search function. Hope that helps!
thanks a bunch. Iíve been reading up on the C and DP manifolds. I assumed the DP would be for low end power and the C for top end power and rpms.
I want bottom end and some quicker response.
any recommendations on intake exhaust gaskets?

Old 04-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Ar. Hillbilly
Junior User
Also I have an old motorcraft/ Autolite 4100. Is it worth rebuilding for this project?

Old 04-20-2019, 10:12 AM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
I originally thought that too about the C vs DP. Top end va. bottom end power.
But, after having both, the performance difference was pretty negligible, but the DP always seemed harder to tune.

For an manifold gasket, I'd recommend the Remflex 3005. It's a bit pricier, but it's excellent. If you get one, get it from Remflex or SummitRacing. Those are the only authorized dealers, and other places don't package them well. I had a few crushed ones show up from Amazon.

Another good one is the Mr. Gasket 260.

The Autolite 4100 is, from what I hear, a really good carb. If you have a good one it's definitely worth a try.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 AM
fordman75
Postmaster
fordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to beholdfordman75 is a splendid one to behold
Don't waste your money on the Offy DP! Just go with a C-series.

The 4100's are great carbs! I've got a few in my collection. Check the throttle shafts for free play. If they have free play you may need to install or have some bushings installed. If you don't you will have a vacuum leak at the shafts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.