Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Transmission cooler line won't stop dripping.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 PM
302 richie
Freshman User
302 richie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission cooler line won't stop dripping.

Hi,

I replaced the radiator on the F-150 a few weeks ago & cannot get the top transmission line adapter/connector to stop leaking (circled in Blue).
The manual says 18-23 foot pounds torque, I've gone way beyond that. Purchased the radiator from Advance Auto & none of the adapters that came with fit. So, I removed the old adapters from the old radiator. The top adapter was in the old radiator so tight that I broke the lock-ring(?) inside the radiator trying to remove it & ended up using a Dremel to cut thru the Green arrow nut so I could get vice grips on the threads & remove the old adapter. I mention this because perhaps the person that installed the last radiator had the same problem...
Last week I bought a new adapter which did not help at all

The yellow circled line from the transmission uses an o-ring & is not leaking.

I put this same radiator in the Full Size Bronco four years ago & do not remember having this issue.

Could there be a part missing on the rad side? Just get a bigger wrench & keep tightening down? Is there a better sealant to use (other than Teflon tape)?

Thanks for any help.
1990 F-150 Lariat EFI 302

Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
MPP8405
Junior User
MPP8405 is starting off with a positive reputation.
unless your threads on the blue circled fitting are trashed you should be using teflon tape and a 3 or 4 wraps, the trans cooler lines are not hi pressure, if this doesn't work bypass the in rad cooler all together and install an auxilary cooler in front of your rad and condensor, why ford didn't install a real sized cooler is beyond me, your trans will thank you. Bottom line the in rad coolers are garbage and if you tow or work the truck hard its gonna bite you in the ***. another highly suggested item is a trans temp gauge, can save you all kinds of issues.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:06 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
BeholdenZippy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same as above, but I have a preference for threadlocker instead of teflon tape. In terms of transmission coolers, all of the trucks I have seen have an auxiliary cooler in addition to the radiator. Some trucks have a bigger one than others.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:20 PM
302 richie
Freshman User
Hey MPP8405 & BeholdenZippy, thanks for responding.

There is an auxiliary cooler behind the grill. Just removed the previous owners trailer lights, towing is not in this trucks future.
The radiator & adapter are both new & I've re-wrapped the adapter threads a couple times with Teflon tape.

I'll give the threadlocker a shot. Maybe the last guy (girl?) did that, why it was so hard to remove.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
I use Permatex thread sealant for things like these.

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...hread-sealant/

Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 PM
TrucksNCoffee
Junior User
TrucksNCoffee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TrucksNCoffee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good answers already posted above. Another thought from a former Air Force crew chief and general aviation mechanic: If nothing fixes the leak, you may have a crack on one side or the other of the fitting. It might not be large enough to see with the unaided eye, even in a no- or low-pressure system. Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:13 PM
302 richie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
I use Permatex thread sealant for things like these.

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...hread-sealant/
Hi FORDF250HDXLT,
I just picked up Permatex Seal + Lock thread compound. Hope I didn't outsmart myself, says 72 hours for full cure at 72 degrees. Well, it's 72 outside right now, a bit warmer in the sun. It gets about 15 hours before I need it.
https://www.permatex.com/products/th...nds/seal-lock/

Thanks

Last edited by 302 richie; 04-19-2019 at 09:44 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 AM
MFJ
Senior User
MFJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I replaced the radiator in my truck, I was plagued with ATF leaks until I used a little bit of the liquid Teflon on the threads. No leaks since. I'm not a fan of the tape, but the liquid stuff seems to work fine. Just a small dab, and the action of threading the fitting in distributes the stuff as needed.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Probably wont have anymore issues now.That's cool they have a combination compound of sealer w/ locker too.Might make for a bit harder to remove fittings latter but hey,if it helps fittings not vibrate lose over years,that's probably a good idea too.I would guess they probably went a bit easy on the locking attribute to be more like loc-tite's blue vs their red but I dunno.Anyway,I bet that cures all that hailed her.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:24 PM
302 richie
Freshman User
Hi,
looks like the Permatex did the trick. 24 hours later it's still tacky but I put about thirty miles on today & the adapter is dry
Were I to use this stuff again think I'll allocate a couple days curing time.

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
I would guess they probably went a bit easy on the locking attribute to be more like loc-tite's blue vs their red but I dunno.
Right, in case I need to take it apart again. Hopefully will not.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
BeholdenZippy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 302 richie View Post
Hi,
looks like the Permatex did the trick. 24 hours later it's still tacky but I put about thirty miles on today & the adapter is dry
Were I to use this stuff again think I'll allocate a couple days curing time.

Right, in case I need to take it apart again. Hopefully will not.

Thanks
Iím sure you wonít have a problem. I have used the stuff and I havenít given it more than a couple hours of cure time and it still seems to work great. They will be a bit harder to remove again if you need to later, but hypothetically you shouldnít ever have to. That stuff should work good anywhere that Teflon tape would be used. I use it on air fittings all the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.