1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Yet another crank, no start, with a twist!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:07 PM
muscle66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another crank, no start, with a twist!

First, I want to say how much I really appreciate this website and all the amazing help and info you guys give. I have been able to just search forums for answers without ever even needing to post for the last couple years, until this week. The advice and opinions on here have been priceless. Thank you so much.

Even after hours of searching here and all over the web, I am just flat out stumped with what to do next. Hopefully some of you guys may have an idea or advice. My 94 powerstroke has been running great for last couple of years until this past week. I was driving around town and she just cut out on me. Almost like pulling a kill switch on a boat. No CEL, no hesitation, no lack of fuel, just dead. After about 10 I was able to get her cranked. Then 15 or so later, she just died again. Finally got her home and parked. Went to crank, and wouldnt start. ran for a few minutes a couple times and then died. Has since not started once. followed that awesome flow chart, and I am still lost.

So far this is where I am at:
tach moves, even swapped out cps with spare. Fuel in filter, pressure at regulator starts at 20 ish and after few turns bumps up to 50ish. no smoke at all. Wait to start comes on everytime, here the relay click. HPOP has oil 1/2 inch from top. Will not start with icp unplugged. No CEL, batteries are great. Jim at rosewood diesel was super cool and told me how to do the deadhead check, both sides of pump and both sides of motor stayed around 3800- 4000 psi. I believe that eliminates injector leaking, ipr and bad HPOP but I could be wrong. I have been thinking either idm or PCM but I really dont have the money to just buy things. So I have searched what seems to be the world over to find a scanner that will work on my EEC 4 plug, but have had little to no luck. Found some Snap On mt2500 locally but they didnt have the ford chip.

This is where the twist comes in: I finally figured out to jump the EEC plug and count the flashing CEL. and the codes it displays seems to not exist anywhere except on this really obscure website. After hours of trying to decode this and repeating the test I ended up with codes 956 512 and 983. The 983 occurring on the KOEO and then on the Continuous memory side of test. So this website had weird titles for the codes and all seem to imply a bad ground or connection with the ECM/PCM and a weird shift code (my truck is a manual). So I am leaning toward the ecm and replacing it. Just wondering what you guys think and if anyone has better descriptions of what those codes mean? Also, if I knew anyone locally with a 7.3, I would have already swapped out and tried a different IDM, but I dont, so Im kinda in a guessing game right now. And for the record I have unplugged everything, checked connections, checked fuse 22, swapped relays, and nothing was burnt, bad or looked wet or out of place....

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, shout out to Clay at Riff Raff for being so honest and thoughtful and not just selling me an IDM or AE when he was not sure either would work for my truck. I have to say, diesel guys are pretty damn cool.

Thanks guys,

Have a good night.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 516 Likes on 250 Posts
You have done about everything I could suggest, so here's a bump to the top. You might remove the IDM and give it a shake, and listen for water sloshing from it.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:01 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 662 Posts
wonder if you have 100v going to the injectors
Meter can tell you that but not sure where to measure from

Location? Maybe someone local could let you test your IDM on their truck

Old 04-18-2019, 12:25 PM
muscle66
Senior User
Thanks guys for the input. I live in St. Petersburg, Florida. Not too many people around here seem to like the older diesels. I dont even know anyone around here that has a 7.3

Old 04-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good troubleshooting. I doubt it's the PCM as it does seem to command and respond to all the proper signals to get where you are now.

In your signature you indicated "beans 6 pos chip, modded IDM" . Needless to say unplugging the chip might be an option in troubleshooting. But the modded IDM, I assuming it's modified to a higher voltage, has caused IDM failures in the past on here. If I had to vote I would go with the IDM from the information provided. If the modded IDM was from Beans you could send it in and have them check it out. Or any IDM from a junk yard would work also, another option.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:54 PM
muscle66
Senior User
Hussler,

I actually could never get the code thing to work until I unplugged my chip. That is another part of the weirdness. Once I unplugged it I was able to get the codes.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:05 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by muscle66
Hussler,

I actually could never get the code thing to work until I unplugged my chip. That is another part of the weirdness. Once I unplugged it I was able to get the codes.
The chip probably disabled EEC port and enabled the OBDII port, if you have that connector. It's down by the ashtray area. I can find a picture if necessary on my 97.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Here it is on the 97, might be different location on the 94 though. It usually has a rubber plug inserted.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM
muscle66
Senior User
Appreciate the help. I think though, I have that stupid in between year truck. I think it has an eec 4 plug only, but the pcm has been flashed for obd1 codes... at least that is my guess since the weird numbers I got from the flashing check engine light all are 3 digit. I will check under the dash again, because it sure would be nice to be able to use Auto engenuity or one of those wireless obd2 scanners.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:07 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I needed some help before Torque pro came out with scanning for codes, anyways there was a map feature where you could search your local area for other FTE members. Maybe you can find this feature and that guy would be willing to drive to you and use his IDM. I purchased another IDM just form a local wrecking yard for a reasonable price maybe you can try that option as well 94-03 7.3 IDM will work for you.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 PM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
Appreciate the help. I think though, I have that stupid in between year truck. I think it has an eec 4 plug only, but the pcm has been flashed for obd1 codes... at least that is my guess since the weird numbers I got from the flashing check engine light all are 3 digit. I will check under the dash again, because it sure would be nice to be able to use Auto engenuity or one of those wireless obd2 scanners.
94 has an obd port about mid way under the dash, left of glove box. If you have ae and the pcm is updated, ae will read codes. You have to have ae ford bundle.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:08 PM
muscle66
Senior User
Originally Posted by BuddyBarnes
94 has an obd port about mid way under the dash, left of glove box. If you have ae and the pcm is updated, ae will read codes. You have to have ae ford bundle.
Holy #%@t batman! Is that an actual obd2 port? I had no idea that was there, and for some reason out of all the things I read, no where did I see that the 94.5 F350 had that. My year was excluded in almost everything. I am pretty strapped for cash, so buying the AE is something I am hoping to avoid. But if that port is there, does that mean i can hook up a cheaper obd2 reader? I assume the ecm was flashed, since this was previously a fleet truck that got all repairs and service at the dealership.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 662 Posts
Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
Holy #%@t batman! Is that an actual obd2 port? I had no idea that was there, and for some reason out of all the things I read, no where did I see that the 94.5 F350 had that. My year was excluded in almost everything. I am pretty strapped for cash, so buying the AE is something I am hoping to avoid. But if that port is there, does that mean i can hook up a cheaper obd2 reader? I assume the ecm was flashed, since this was previously a fleet truck that got all repairs and service at the dealership.
A cheap reader from a parts house will not read codes on these trucks. There are readers less expensive than ae that some on here use, a search on here will give info on which ones. I use AE cause I had it before the cheaper ones came on the market.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:52 AM
muscle66
Senior User
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered that Vgate to give it a whirl since it is so cheap. So as far as the codes I deciphered from the CEL, do those mean anything or could they just be wrong, and i need to see what an actual scanner says?

Quick Reply: Yet another crank, no start, with a twist!