1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Protecting Running Board Finish

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM
100550dvr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protecting Running Board Finish

Finishing up the restoration of a 1950 F47 Truck and was wondering if there were some ideas out there about protecting the paint finish on the running boards. I am aware of the aluminum step plates that bolt to the running boards. However, I was hoping for something to protect the entire running board from random people stepping on them at shows, etc. I realize that I am being probably somewhat unrealistic, but a lot of hard work and money went into this project. Just want to keep it looking as good as I can for as long as I can.

Thanks for your ideas.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:23 AM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 56 but I know what you mean. There was too much hard work spent making those running boards look good. I have the aluminum plates on mine- but being 6'4"- I step over the running board right onto the truck floor because I just don't want to touch those running boards! :-)

Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I try not to use the running boards to get in and out of the cab but sometimes depending on how it's parked I do. But my truck, although nice looking, is not a show truck or a trailer queen. I like to drive it on dry days but if my running boards get too scratched it's easy to remove them and paint them.

I had my 55 F350 painted last year. On the bigger trucks you do need to step on the running boards. I wanted something on them that would not be easily scratched. I researched this here at FTE and online. The consensus was to spray them with a tough undercoating, not bed liner. I am not happy with it. The color came out a dark gray, not black. It is showing some signs of wear. And at one spot a small piece chipped off. So I might take them off and spray them gloss black. I am not sure how that paint will wear overtop the undercoating.....

Old 04-17-2019, 08:02 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by 100550dvr
Finishing up the restoration of a 1950 F47 Truck and was wondering if there were some ideas out there about protecting the paint finish on the running boards. I am aware of the aluminum step plates that bolt to the running boards. However, I was hoping for something to protect the entire running board from random people stepping on them at shows, etc. I realize that I am being probably somewhat unrealistic, but a lot of hard work and money went into this project. Just want to keep it looking as good as I can for as long as I can.

Thanks for your ideas.
I just thought of another solution, at least at shows. Denny, First Rider, for his beautiful 52 made long flexible magnetic sheets for his boards. On them he had printed facts about his truck.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 AM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
I had bought new re-pops for my truck. I took them in and had them Powder Coated gloss black along with the bolt heads. Not impervious but still looks good after 3 years.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:18 AM
tonyguns
Tuned
Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts
I found and have been using KBS-Coatings. They are brushable, sprayable, and more durable than powder coating. at least that's what they claim. So far, I am happy with the results. you can hit the frame with a hammer and it doesn't chip.

KBS Coatings Website

Old 04-17-2019, 11:40 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
I just thought of another solution, at least at shows. Denny, First Rider, for his beautiful 52 made long flexible magnetic sheets for his boards. On them he had printed facts about his truck.
I was going to reply but Abe beat me to it . Didn't know how people would react to them but spectators will stop & read them . They are dual purpose . Tells a brief history of the truck & protects the running boards from one ( children ) attempting to step on them . Also have them on " Art" . Abe , thanks for the mention .

Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
After painting they could be covered with a clear plastic film which is used on front facia's and stone chip prone areas . It would eventually scuff but could be redone after time and not damage the paint . There should be no problem finding a shop , anyone doing wraps I would think .

Old 04-17-2019, 04:57 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Just don't step on them. They will stay nice forever

Old 04-18-2019, 01:20 PM
8pack
More Turbo
Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by EBEAR
After painting they could be covered with a clear plastic film which is used on front facia's and stone chip prone areas . It would eventually scuff but could be redone after time and not damage the paint . There should be no problem finding a shop , anyone doing wraps I would think .
+1. Expel makes a good product. However for it to work properly your finish needs to be Smooooooth with no pits or sharp bumps. The clear wrap is "self healing" which means minor scratches will disappear with a warm/hot water soaking or a hair dryer. It definitely works, I have it on the sill plates of one of my cars now.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
here's my answer but they are gettin hard to find... everyone is backordered... A generous FTE member hooked me up with a pair, or I'd still be waiting..

Old 04-18-2019, 05:45 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by jniolon
here's my answer but they are gettin hard to find... everyone is backordered... A generous FTE member hooked me up with a pair, or I'd still be waiting..

Yeh, but then you got four screw holes in your pristine running board! LOL

And the OP has a 50 truck and the gear and lightening bolt is for 53-56.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 PM
52burjes
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hello, i've seen trucks at car shows that have oak or maple "strips" that fit in the grooves of the running boards just a little higher and the whole length of the groove. I've also seen polished stainless "strips" which serve the same purpose. Looked them up on flea bay, finally found them, and it seems like they were $60.00 Per Strip! Either way would require a lot of penetrations in those running boards. Good luck, larry

Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
X3 for PPF...paint protective film. 3M makes some great films and they even sell a spray-on aerosol version that is easy to apply and re-apply if necessary. Take a look on YouTube, lots of good info and demos.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 52burjes
Hello, i've seen trucks at car shows that have oak or maple "strips" that fit in the grooves of the running boards just a little higher and the whole length of the groove. I've also seen polished stainless "strips" which serve the same purpose. Looked them up on flea bay, finally found them, and it seems like they were $60.00 Per Strip! Either way would require a lot of penetrations in those running boards. Good luck, larry
I used much less $ SS strips on the top of the running board ribs. They are marine rub strips. They have holes every 6" for screws. I used oval head slotted ss screws. Not for a restoration, however, I built Willard as a street truck.
Unfortunately I do not have a good picture. This is the best that I have.

EDIT: I found one a little bit better.

Quick Reply: Protecting Running Board Finish