Notices

Air bags and shocks to smooth out ride

Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 PM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
SoCalAngler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Air bags and shocks to smooth out ride

Just picked up a 2009 Thor (MVP) Tahoe 284SA. GVWR is 13K.....see pic below

Starting off with maintenance and necessities first:
Purchased a new Blue Ox BXW2000 hitch. Tongue weight is approx. 1600#. Set up was straight forward and all sits very close to level. Towed 10 miles at 55mph and all feels solid and no sway. Freeway and wind will later determine how it feels under adverse conditions.
Purchased new Good Year Endurance tires ....285/80R/ 16E
Next few weeks....I will have roof professionally resealed with Dicor self leveling sealant (all protrusions) and a complete roof coating will be applied (Dicor). Normally I would do this maintenance myself....but older age and heights....drove me to decide on having it done.

Questions:

1. Can air bags be added to smooth out bouncy ride? If so, any brands recommended?
2. Shocks on my truck are OEM Motorcraft. My truck has 66K original miles. I prefer a smooth factory ride and do not go off road much unless I am traveling to a camping spot. What shocks are recommended for a smooth factory ride yet capable of the heavier tongue weight of this toyhauler (1600#)? I read the Bilsteins 4600 are stiff.

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Your trailer is longer than mine, but 1600 lbs??? Are you running with the garage empty? Mine goes up to 1400 lbs from 940 when I have nothing in the garage.

Air bags are going to help a bit. Air bags and a WDH aren't mutually exclusive but the presence of air bags makes the configuration of the WDH more interesting. Air up the bags first, then configure the WDH.

I put Rancho 9000XL shocks on my F-350. It was a good move, certainly better than OEM. They are adjustable. Crank them up when towing, dial them down when unloaded.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:46 AM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Your trailer is longer than mine, but 1600 lbs??? Are you running with the garage empty? Mine goes up to 1400 lbs from 940 when I have nothing in the garage.

Air bags are going to help a bit. Air bags and a WDH aren't mutually exclusive but the presence of air bags makes the configuration of the WDH more interesting. Air up the bags first, then configure the WDH.

I put Rancho 9000XL shocks on my F-350. It was a good move, certainly better than OEM. They are adjustable. Crank them up when towing, dial them down when unloaded.

Yes, the 1600# TW is unloaded. We do not plan on carrying quads or dirt bikes; we purchased for the utility nature of the toyhauler. Will carry bicycles, large cooler, etc...but nothing really heavy.
Shocks were just an idea due to age of OEM ones.
I was intending Air Bags to provide a smoother ride, not necessarily to level out truck. The camper package on my truck has the extra leaf spring and that has helped with keeping truck pretty level even with the 1600# of tongue weight. I just thought the air bags would smooth out ride some.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 AM
hookd
Senior User
hookd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hookd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I love the ride with air bags vs stock and would add them. I have had good luck with Firestone bag kits and they are easy to install. As far as shocks I have always gone with Bilstein but do the bags first and see how you like it. Nice rig!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:47 AM
leadmic
Elder User
leadmic is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with Hookd do the air bags first. My bumper toyhauler pull is a little larger than yours and the airbags make all the difference especially with bouncing.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:28 AM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
I'll give the air bags a try. Any major differences between Firestone and Air- Lift?

Shouldn't the shocks be changed out simply due to their age?

Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
[QUOTE=SoCalAngler;18611564Shouldn't the shocks be changed out simply due to their age?[/QUOTE]

My OEM shocks were shot within 5,000 miles. One of them was leaking. Compress the two rear shocks and compare how they rebound. The leaking shock was obviously toast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.