Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

1990 E-250 5.0L EFI engine noises after Seafoam added

Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM
coop589
New User
coop589 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry 1990 E-250 5.0L EFI engine noises after Seafoam added

Folks,

I'm reaching out to see if you can help me identify the different noises rattling noises I hear after adding the SeaFoam additive to my rig, an old 1990 E-250 5.0L cargo van. I replaced the valve cover gaskets yesterday and had no issues with the engine before hand other than a slight noisy lifter on occasion. I understand the vehicle is old and will not run forever, but the coincidence that this would occur after adding the additive leaves me to suspect the Seafoam product as the culprit. What is odd about the noise is that it is not consistent and changes from a hard rattle, knocking and then goes away. When these new engine noises occur, I do see degraded idling performance and runs rough, almost like a cylinder is dead. On the occasions that it goes away, the engine runs super smooth without any shakes or stumble. In my experience, these sort of noises typically are persistent and don't go away, only getting worse with time. The fact that the noises/knocks go away has me flustered. I haven't driven the van past the end of the driveway since changing the gaskets and hearing these noises, so I don't know what it feels like on the road. I attached a link to a video clip I took for anyone to checkout and comment on. The change in RPM is me on the gas pedal that I was using to see if the sound would go away/com back. I have had the engine running extended amounts of time (about 10 minutes) at constant RPM with out any issues. I since changed the oil with the same results. Sadly, this issue is repeatable and has occurred every time I start and run the engine. The link and password to the file is:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ag2yl6QWpe8zgP8u...pyMCA?e=kncBGE Password is: FordTrucks

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Glenn

Old 04-16-2019, 05:25 PM
ZombieF150
Senior User
ZombieF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That (to me ) sounds like wrist pin slap. I had an 84 F250 I finally sold off and it sounded like that. The wrist pin in the piston was bad and was wallowing out the hole in the side of the piston. It was a beater truck that we used around the property.

Not saying that is what it is in your case but that is what I remember it sounding like. If that is what it is,seafoam wouldn't cause that.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Number4
Senior User
Number4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sea Foam softens up sludge. Perhaps something sizable came loose and is rattling around somewhere it can't escape.

Guessing you added it to your oil? Based on your vale cover comment.

I put it in my oil once in my '94 Explorer. Oil pressure went down and was only corrected after putting on a new oil pump. I will never add this stuff to oil again. Adding to gas or through booster hose has never caused any issues, but certainly could based on what it does to crud.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 PM
MPP8405
Junior User
MPP8405 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Seafoam is a solvent. In no circumstance should this stuff be put into the engine oil, If you have a worn out engine this stuff is asking for issues to happen, a 5.0L of that vintage should be using 10W30 or 10W40 if needed nothing more unless your wanting a reason to rebuild your shortblock.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
ZombieF150
Senior User
after watching and listening to it more it could be a rod,maybe a bent/sticking push rod? though I personally have never heard a push rod sound like that. What ever it is sounds like it is getting chunked a good distance. Almost like it is getting thrown up and at times is sticking/wedged and then releasing and getting thrown back up.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 PM
coop589
New User
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post and watch the clip. If anyone else has any thoughts, please float them by.

ZombieF150,
I was thinking that one of the valves could be getting stuck and leaving the rockers/lifters and pushrod loose until the valve snaps back closed? That's the only thing I could think that could cause an intermittent issue where the harsh noise could come and go. If a valve (or valves) are getting stuck open, that could also be the reason the engine runs poorly and better when it clears up. I'll see how it behaves tomorrow and let it run some more. One thing is for sure, its not a good sign, and I believe the end is near. On a positive note, its not leaking anymore. That's what I get for fixing the damn leak.

If i get a chance, I'll capture another clip if its worth it.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
Originally Posted by coop589 View Post
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post and watch the clip. If anyone else has any thoughts, please float them by.

ZombieF150,
I was thinking that one of the valves could be getting stuck and leaving the rockers/lifters and pushrod loose until the valve snaps back closed? That's the only thing I could think that could cause an intermittent issue where the harsh noise could come and go. If a valve (or valves) are getting stuck open, that could also be the reason the engine runs poorly and better when it clears up. I'll see how it behaves tomorrow and let it run some more. One thing is for sure, its not a good sign, and I believe the end is near. On a positive note, its not leaking anymore. That's what I get for fixing the damn leak.

If i get a chance, I'll capture another clip if its worth it.
Very good possibility that is what is happening. What *I* would do is put some marvel mystery oil in the oil and run the engine gently. Seafoam is used best in the tank. I won't put it in a crank case, how ever MMO I will on an old engine. I'd put some MMO in and then run it for a while baby sitting it if needed and do another oil change.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:30 PM
MongooseV8
Freshman User
MongooseV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where did you add Seafoam? Engine oil? Vacuum line? Fuel?

If you used it in the oil, its not an "additive" its supposed to be a cleaner. Run it through the engine for a bit and do an oil change. You arent supposed to pour it in and leave til your next service. You might just have thinned out your oil a bit.

If you used it like most people do by adding it slowly into your intake via a vacuum line, its possible to add too much too fast. This could cause a hydro-lock type damage ie bent rods, holes in pistons, bent valves, etc.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:52 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Senior User
torq'ta 5 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
any way you could pin point which side, pull that plug and see how it looks, and/or re-pull that valve cover and just have a look, a long screw drive or a long piece of hose could help find which side, I had a '79 302 sounded close to that but stopped after warmed up, finally let go, #1 piston burst/cracked, about 1/3 of it. Did the rattling start when you put seafoam in or after changing valve covers? Maybe something got dropped/knocked off and its playing pinball with rocker arms, may be why it goes away and then comes back?

Last edited by torq'ta 5 8; 04-18-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM
coop589
New User
MongooseV8,

I added the Seafood to the oil and did so after I finished putting all the parts back together after replacing the valve cover gaskets with the intent of changing the oil soon after the engine was warm to let the Seafoam work its way through the engine. The tapping/knock/rattleing started about a minute after the engine was running. The van wasn't driven since the repair.

Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Where did you add Seafoam? Engine oil? Vacuum line? Fuel?

If you used it in the oil, its not an "additive" its supposed to be a cleaner. Run it through the engine for a bit and do an oil change. You arent supposed to pour it in and leave til your next service. You might just have thinned out your oil a bit.

If you used it like most people do by adding it slowly into your intake via a vacuum line, its possible to add too much too fast. This could cause a hydro-lock type damage ie bent rods, holes in pistons, bent valves, etc.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:45 AM
MongooseV8
Freshman User
MongooseV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah in that case I would change the oil and get the seafoam out. I bet your engine quiets down. Either way you dont want to leave it sitting in the engine.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM
coop589
New User
ZombieF150,
I'll give the MMO a try today. I ran the engine for a few minutes yesterday and the noises did not show up. I'll post a follow up clip if it clears up.

Originally Posted by ZombieF150 View Post
Very good possibility that is what is happening. What *I* would do is put some marvel mystery oil in the oil and run the engine gently. Seafoam is used best in the tank. I won't put it in a crank case, how ever MMO I will on an old engine. I'd put some MMO in and then run it for a while baby sitting it if needed and do another oil change.
torq'ta 5 8,

The noise appears to be coming from the right side (passenger side) which is the side that is the hardest to get to because of the upper intake manifold. All the components I removed where all accounted for so I doubt anything was left under the covers to rattle around. I'd like to get another season or two out of the van if possible. I'll update the post with any new findings.

-Glenn

Originally Posted by torq'ta 5 8 View Post
any way you could pin point which side, pull that plug and see how it looks, and/or re-pull that valve cover and just have a look, a long screw drive or a long piece of hose could help find which side, I had a '79 302 sounded close to that but stopped after warmed up, finally let go, #1 piston burst/cracked, about 1/3 of it. Did the rattling start when you put seafoam in or after changing valve covers? Maybe something got dropped/knocked off and its playing pinball with rocker arms, may be why it goes away and then comes back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.