Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just hit the mother of all potholes

Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
I just hit the mother of all potholes

in Mexico. This crater was probably 6 or more inches deep and took up the entire lane. We were doing about 70 when it appeared suddenly and the oncoming lane was full so I couldn't do anything but hit it square on with all four tires. We were loaded to the hilt from a fishing trip and towing a small aluminum boat. The sodas in the cupholders became airborne, cell phones flew, a tail light fell off the boat trailer, it was a bone jarring event. The driver's side seemed to take the brunt of it. Pulled to the side and didn't see any damage besides the trailer tail light, finished the trip of about 250 more miles. Can't be sure if it's my imagination or not but the tire sound on the pavement is not even, there is a very slight, faint noise that sounds like a "whir-whir-whir" is the best I can explain it, but I don't know if they sounded that way before because I have never cruised with the radio off to listen. They are Cooper AT-3s a bit more than 1 year old. The steering and braking feels fine and the alloy wheels seem undamaged. It was such an impact my thought is that it may have caused internal tire damage that will eventually show up. All front end components are relatively new with low mileage on everything.
My plan for now
1. Get tires balanced and rotated
2. Get front end inspected and aligned

Any other thoughts?

I will say that these trucks are tough, that crater would have put most passenger cars out of commission, it was that bad.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:11 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Check the bead/edge of each rim carefully. I hit a bad pothole with the OEM 16" wheels and cracked a rim. Didn't notice it until I washed it the first time after the pothole.

I'll see if I can find a picture.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, I did wash them and ran my finger around each one just above the bead. Will do a closer inspection tomorrow. In retrospect I probably should have been going slower but even at 55-60 I doubt I could have missed hitting it. You just don't expect something that bad on a highway. I am running 275/70s on the 18" OEM Lariat wheels.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
I didn't see the dent and crack upon initial inspection, but did a few hours later after we arrived at the campsite. This happened with our 12,000 lbs 5th wheel in tow and I had no choice but to hit it nearly head on.

I ended up sourcing an OEM wheel from a local to the area we were in scrap yard for ~$60. Had the tire installed and it has been good for 2ish years now.

Crap happens, grateful to hear no one was hurt.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Centramatics or tire beads, here on out Biggie..cant help but think that the "hole" was manmade. Its what they do in the baja race. You crash, and walk away because their swarming to pillage any and all parts

Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Happy ending to that story! Dayum.

I'm thinking you plan of action is good. Check the tires for bulges, and the wheels, just so you can be confident of getting down the road. Eyeball under the hood for the whirring sound, maybe something shifted.

One day I hit a bridge with my '64 Lincoln. The engine broke off the mounts and where it settled the transmission linkage could only engage reverse. Plus the fan belt was rubbing on the shroud and it had a whirring sound. I used the bumper jack to lever the engine back into place and pull the body away from it's vampire grip on the front tires and drove home. Point being a very heavy engine can bust loose with a big impact. Never heard of broken mounts on a 7.3 but maybe you can be a trailblazer here.

And the shocks, I'd yank on them to be sure their attachments are still solid.

If the alignment is uneventful I think you're golden.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:54 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
Wow! that could have been real bad. I'm glad that all seems ok.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Check your pitman arm closely for any signs of blunt force trauma. Kick it hard, pull on it etc. Glad you’re alright. Timmy May have a point, MFers do the same things in Moab. They’ll drive around at night looking for broken jeeps then literally part them out on the trail.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:30 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
The tire store looked at the wheels and tires today and said everything looks fine, just cosmetic damage to the driver's side wheel. I scheduled for rotation and balance Saturday. He said any tire damage would have shown up right away but I an skeptical of that, I know for a fact that tire damage can show up later after a tire has been severely impacted or abused. Here is the driver's side wheel.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Balance would be the big thing in my mind. I warped a wheel on my 02. I had centramatics on so I never felt any vibration, but when I went to get new tires, the tire guy couldn't balance the wheel. After breaking it down and spinning the tire the third time, he noticed it being out of round when it was on the machine spinning, which he showed me.

Then I'd check all the front end suspension parts. Ball joints, check the tie rods and pitman arm by checking for loose stuff and then having someone turn the wheels side to side while you lay on the ground and see how it acts under load. Most if it will likely be fine.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 PM
JOHN2001
Postmaster
JOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud ofJOHN2001 has much to be proud of
Your story sounds like a typical days drive here in Michigan

Old 04-17-2019, 07:18 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
Well I got some good news. sorta I guess. That wheel damage did not come from that pothole, I just found the pics of when I first got the wheels and it looks like that was already there(lower right hand side about 5 O'clock). Makes me feel better anyway.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Them the H.D. wheels? Been combing clist for awhile for them. I need a new pik

Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Them the H.D. wheels? Been combing clist for awhile for them. I need a new pik
Lariat wheels, same as the HD but no HD Logo. Be patient, it's worth it to have wheels that were made for the truck vs aftermarket ones IMHO after much research

Old 04-17-2019, 09:13 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
Been stoked on the 02/Ex wheels but them you got rolling, are the kats meow. Cletus brought the HD wheels to attention a year or so ago and so i went hunting. Them are my style/look...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.