Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Relocation

Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gauge Relocation

Hey guys, currently I have 3 gauges on the driver's side pillar. Been driving around with this setup for about 6 months. I like the gauges, but they get a bit bothersome at night (even dimmed down), and sometimes during the day as they add a bit of a blind spot. So now I'm looking at getting an under dash gauge pod (specifically this one:
Amazon Amazon
) Here's the problem. I had a shop install the gauges for me, and while they did a good job, I don't think I have enough wire to stretch the gauges from their current location to under the dash. So, what would be the best way to get enough wire for the gauges to stretch over to under the dash? I'm thinking just get some wire that's the same gauge and solder it in to the existing wires for the gauges...can't be that easy though could it? Thanks guys

Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
I had the same issues with gauge brightness, go to Lowe’s or Home Depot back in hardware. Look in the hard to find drawers, look for a 2”. Rubber washers. Use one as a template for window tinting, and simply tint the gauges. It made a huge difference. Can’t help with the visibility issues...

Old 04-15-2019, 11:00 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
If going to the under dash gauge holder, how much for a pilar shipped to 86442...andcyup, solder some wire on and make it reach

Old 04-16-2019, 05:05 AM
Wesley Green
Posting Guru
Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a great reputation on FTE.
May want to look into your EGT gauge (assuming that's one of the 3) on mine it specifically says not to splice the probe's wires, have to buy a probe with longer leads. Mine were long enough to go to the pillar, would be plenty long enough to only go to the under dash area

Old 04-16-2019, 05:08 AM
dn29626
Posting Guru
dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.dn29626 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
...EGT...it specifically says not to splice the probe's wires...
Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
My EGT gauge came with enough extra wire to reach the back seat, it's coiled up in the engine compartment.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
The wires will reach, unless the installers cut the excess instead of coiling it.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
My EGT gauge came with enough extra wire to reach the back seat, it's coiled up in the engine compartment.
My response was just this. I new and im sure the OP wouldve realized that as well with the egt leads...guess the "box" is taped up gooood

Old 04-16-2019, 01:39 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
My EGT gages came with just enough to reach my overhead pod above the rear view mirror.

As others have mentioned trace your EGT line to see if the shop coiled up the excess or if they cut the extra off. I'll also echo that if it reaches the pillar you should be able to feed the lines back down under the dash and route them to a pod down there.

The only issue you might have is how the dimmer was installed/wired. I know when I put mine in everything was wired to fit where the dimmer was and where the first gauge was that I connected it to. The good news is you can splice as much wire onto any line you want except the line from the EGT probe (some you might be able to but mostly you can't AFAIK).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.