Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with charging A/C system

Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Help with charging A/C system

Hi all,

I'm working on a 1985 Bronco with a factory air conditioning system.
So, recently, I replaced my entire A/C system. New compressor, drier, hoses, etc. The only thing I reused was the condensor, which I flushed and cleaned.
The whole system is now set up for R134a.

I measured out the proper amount of PAG 46 and distributed it amongst the compressor, condensor, and drier, which I read on several walk-throughs.

However, I put the vacuum pump on it and let it for an hour or so, and it started pulling oil out. There was oil in the hoses and being pulled into the vacuum pump.
Why, I have no idea, but now I have no idea how much oil is left in the system!

I wanted to throw up my hands and just have a shop clean it out, remeasure, and charge it, but am getting quotes upwards of $500 to charge it.

So, now I'm back to doing it myself.
Does anyone know why the vacuum pump would pull oil out of the system?

How do I remedy this?
How do I figure out how much oil still in there?
How do I proceed?

Thoughts? Help? Ideas?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
I have never had a vacuum pump pull out the oil. I have no idea how/why it did. Some good discussion on your thread over at FSB: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...-c-system.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.