Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a tow rig - V10 engine build

Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM
RyanMac119
Freshman User
RyanMac119 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Donít get me wrong, I completely understand where you are coming from. But a $1200 difference is the difference in Banks headers, and reusing stock ones.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by RyanMac119 View Post
that new engine from Ford carries a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.
a Jasper reman engine carries a 3 year, 100k mile warranty (whichever comes first) on parts and labor.
i have seen my friend replace a few jasper remans, more than once.

Do you get the warranty if you do the work?

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
RyanMac119
Freshman User
RyanMac119 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100 View Post
Do you get the warranty if you do the work?
Jasper sells to shops only as far as I can tell. I imagine that if you got one, and put it in yourself, you wouldnít get the warranty. Itís not an issue for me, as I have the mechanical ability of a monkey that lacks opposable thumbs. So I rely on expert mechanics to turn the wrenches.
I was just using Jasper as an example of reman warranty vs new engine warranty. Wasnít particularly announcing my choice. 😉

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RyanMac119 View Post
Donít get me wrong, I completely understand where you are coming from. But a $1200 difference is the difference in Banks headers, and reusing stock ones.
shop around, Tasca ( my fav source ) has them for $4600
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ine-9c2z6006aa

also confirm the warranty, the Ford reman through Ryder comes with a 3 year unlimited milage warranty..

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM
Leed1315
New User
Leed1315 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
Yes, they all left the factory with hitches, they were required by Uncle Sam for crash protection due to the EX being a passenger vehicle and not a truck. They even went so far as to mount the hitch with round headed shear bolts to make them that much more difficult to remove.
Installing one isn't that bad of a job, it can be done without removing the fuel tank even, but dropping the tank makes it much easier to reach the hitch bolts.
Mine has that but no hitch, bumper pull only. I assume the shear bolts you speak of are the bolts the directions tell me I'm gonna have to drill out? Maybe someone took it off but everything looks like it was factory. I got under it and started to do it and my directions said to loosen the 2 front tank bolts but when I did it wouldn't give me enough room to get to one of the rear bolts that had to come out. I was just going to take 3 of the 4 tank bolts out as to be able to maneuver the tank a little without actually removing it. It was winter and I just didn't want to do it. About a month ago I called a local truck supply store that installs them. He told me if everything went well $50 if not $100. I was thrilled and set up the appointment. It was a father son running the place and they climbed under it and after analyzing what had to be done said I'm sorry we're not interested. I was a little bothered but can't say I blame them.

Old Today, 06:47 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Leed1315 View Post
Mine has that but no hitch, bumper pull only. I assume the shear bolts you speak of are the bolts the directions tell me I'm gonna have to drill out? Maybe someone took it off but everything looks like it was factory. I got under it and started to do it and my directions said to loosen the 2 front tank bolts but when I did it wouldn't give me enough room to get to one of the rear bolts that had to come out. I was just going to take 3 of the 4 tank bolts out as to be able to maneuver the tank a little without actually removing it. It was winter and I just didn't want to do it. About a month ago I called a local truck supply store that installs them. He told me if everything went well $50 if not $100. I was thrilled and set up the appointment. It was a father son running the place and they climbed under it and after analyzing what had to be done said I'm sorry we're not interested. I was a little bothered but can't say I blame them.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the bolded comment, as I was referring to the receiver hitches that all EXs came with, they did also all come with the capped hole in the bumper for a ball mount too, I am assuming that's what you mean.
To mount the hitch with the gas tank in place would require that you loosen all 4 tank mounting bolts several turns to allow it to me moved side to side enough to have access, with a long extension and socket, to install the bolts holding the receiver hitch to the frame. You would only need to drill out the round headed shear bolts if they were there, but it sounds like someone previously removed them and your receiver hitch, so your job would be easier. Did you get a factory replacement hitch or an aftermarket one, these hitches are unique to the EX as our rear frame rails differ from the pickups.

Old Today, 09:24 AM
Leed1315
New User
Leed1315 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the bolded comment, as I was referring to the receiver hitches that all EXs came with, they did also all come with the capped hole in the bumper for a ball mount too, I am assuming that's what you mean.
To mount the hitch with the gas tank in place would require that you loosen all 4 tank mounting bolts several turns to allow it to me moved side to side enough to have access, with a long extension and socket, to install the bolts holding the receiver hitch to the frame. You would only need to drill out the round headed shear bolts if they were there, but it sounds like someone previously removed them and your receiver hitch, so your job would be easier. Did you get a factory replacement hitch or an aftermarket one, these hitches are unique to the EX as our rear frame rails differ from the pickups.
I ment that mine still has the shear bolts but no hitch. I cant guarantee 100% it never had a hitch but there is no evidence it did. The chance someone took it off and then put shear bolts back in it would be very slim. I believe it's the curt hitch but yes I ordered it specifically for an excursion.

Old Today, 09:41 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Leed1315 View Post
I ment that mine still has the shear bolts but no hitch. I cant guarantee 100% it never had a hitch but there is no evidence it did. The chance someone took it off and then put shear bolts back in it would be very slim. I believe it's the curt hitch but yes I ordered it specifically for an excursion.
pics are worth 1000 words

Old Today, 10:04 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Me thinks closer inspection will reveal somebody cut off your hitch and that is why the sheer bolt is still in place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.