Notices

Gear Vendor Issues on 89 Club Wagon 351w/c6

Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Jake_TheGreat
Junior User
Jake_TheGreat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gear Vendor Issues on 89 Club Wagon 351w/c6

This is a bit of a story, so stay with me.

I've been on a quest to get my 1989 Ford Club Wagon XLT (351w, c6. Gear Vendor OD) running optimally for various road trips this summer.

I've done a fair amount of work to it (TPS replacement, the correct ECU/PCM) and last on my list was to resolve the cruise control being inoperable. For some reason the cruise control cable that is attached to the accelerator cable and bracket, was unhooked and sitting off to the side, when I replaced the TPS sensor, I put it back as it is supposed to be, still no dice attempting to use it and that lead me to believe that since the speedometer is out, it won't work.

When I bought the van, the speedometer worked but made a bit of noise behind the dash... one day, it just stopped working. This lead me to replacing the Speedometer cable this last weekend with a brand new one. I tested the cable with a drill and had my phone record, so I know that it is connected and reading something. Having ruled out the cable, I'm moving further down the system to where it plugs into the Gear Vendors Overdrive Unit.

I've contacted Gear Vendor to ask about a replacement cable between the signal generator and the Gear Vendor unit, but have not heard back. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I found a replacement cable online for $300 on eBay, but that's a little steep for me to spend on a cable. Can I repair it somehow?

I'm also going to be diving back into trying to get the Gear Vendor to operate on the computer supplied, I bypassed it when I first got the van to hook it up to a foot switch, but after diving into the speedometer I realized that underneath the van, the signal generator was never hooked up, which I'm sure is a vital part of notifying the computer that it has reached over 35 mph to activate the Overdrive... but that's for another post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.