Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

6.8 V10 Ticking

Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 AM
copicatt
Freshman User
copicatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.8 V10 Ticking

Good morning. Have a 2002 e450 with a ticking noise only after warmed up. New plugs and cops. Noise was there before and after plugs. Made sure they were not loose. With the doghouse inside off, trying to narrow down with a long screwdriver where itís loudest. Most searches return as ďtick when coldĒ or exhaust studs. Sounds more to me like itís somewhere in the rear passenger valve cover / head. Listening at the top of the cops doesnít really produce the noise as much as very back top of head(on the end of head) hard to explain. So itís Loudest around the rear (cyl 5). Any thoughts? Driver side is quite.

Is quite when cold. Then the tick starts. High frequency tick. More prevalent at idle. Lash adjuster? Follower?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2019, 06:47 AM
wirelessengineer
Elder User
wirelessengineer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by copicatt View Post
trying to narrow down with a long screwdriver where itís loudest. !
Do yourself a big favor. Put the screwdriver back in the toolbox and get a mechanic's stethoscope. Even an El Cheapo will do a much better job. Harbor Freight has them for four bucks.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM
copicatt
Freshman User
Will do. I had a Stethoscope somewhere but couldnít locate the crazy thing.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM
copicatt
Freshman User
Ok so got a mechanics stethoscope. Still noticing the loudest at the rear of the head. Really at the center of the rear of the head (itís a van so I can get to the rear of motor from inside. Till it warmed up, it was Smooth as a ribbon. As usual. I would think a bad follower would do it all the time? Any kind of lubricant that might help? Itís not really loud but enough to annoy me.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:14 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Use a proper oil pressure gauge installed even if temporary----that'd be my first step.

You want to see no less than 25-30 PSI at hot idle.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Harvard
Junior User
Harvard is starting off with a positive reputation.
oops, sorry....

Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Tim Hodgson
Learning slowly...
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
My little experience with that type of ticking is an exhaust leak. As the exhaust manifold or manifold to Y-pipe warms up the leak closes and the ticking goes away. Have you replaced your catalytic converter yet? A plugged catalytic converter restricts heat from going through the muffler to out the tail pipe and redirects allot of heat back to the manifold to cause exhaust manifold warping (including in some engines like the Dodge Dakota, exhaust manifold stud breakage).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.