Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4wd low noise

Old 04-14-2019, 04:22 PM
nxtdiesel
Junior User
nxtdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
4wd low noise

When I use low 4wd, it works fine but when I stop and shift straight to park it makes some sort of loud clicking/grinding noise (it sounds bad) but if I shift to neutral first and stop there for a couple seconds, then shift to park it doesn't make any noise. Any idea what is causing this?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:30 PM
ncl
Elder User
ncl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's odd it almost sounds like the driveline is still turning when you stop. It should not do that. Is this a manual tcase or electric. If electric maybe it's not shifting correctly.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 PM
nxtdiesel
Junior User
I was going to say that earlier, thats exactly what it sounds like. It is electric. However, it doesn't do it when in 4 Hi.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 PM
nxtdiesel
Junior User
And I don't know if the noise is coming from the transfer case or the transmission.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 AM
ATC Crazy
Post Fiend
ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
That's odd it almost sounds like the driveline is still turning when you stop. It should not do that. Is this a manual tcase or electric. If electric maybe it's not shifting correctly.
That is what it sounds like. Almost like the drum is still spinning and the parking pawl is skipping over the slots (like shifting to park while still moving)

Given the high strain on the drivetrain due to 4-low, it's a good idea to shift to neutral before going to park anyways. I've done it with nearly all the automatics I've owned. This takes all the pressure off the drivetrain before shifting. I also pause in neutral anytime going from drive to reverse and visa-versa.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
CO Wapiti is starting off with a positive reputation.
Going back years, every one of my trucks, including different brands, has made the noise you described. Even though I wondered what is was, I have written it off as normal.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM
nxtdiesel
Junior User
Thanks guys. I don't think I will worry about it then. I think I will just make sure I shift to neutral first before shifting to park or reverse, since when I do that it seems to work perfectly fine. Thanks again for the insight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.