Notices

400 misfiring issue

Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Rangerf-350
New User
Rangerf-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
400 misfiring issue

Hi all,
I need some help. I just rebuilt the 400 in my Dads F350 Ranger and it runs rough. No sure what the issue is. 77 400 motor all new parts bored 0.030 over, new valves, new stock cam, new distributor, new plugs, wires. I had carburetor rebuilt 2 barrel. Intake has 13726548 as firing order. It acts like itís not running on all cylinders. I pulled each plug wire off as it is running to see if makes a difference and found that when I pull off number 2 or number 6 it didnít change the engine. I then pulled the plugs out on these 2 cylinders and found number 6 plug is wet and 2 is heavy black(fouled). I can see these two are on the same intake runner, so I am assuming with 6 not firing that 2 is over loaded. I changed the number 6 plug out to see if itís the plug and got the same results when started..wet plug. Then I changed plug wire and got the same result..wet plug. Then I changed out distributor and got same result...wet plug. Then I changed out coil, no change. I then stuck a screw driver in plug wire to check spark to ground while running..and it is a weak spark not what I would have expected from an electronic ignition system.

What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 PM
mark a.
Post Fiend
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
I would start with screwing a psi gage in each of those cylinders and see whats going on.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 AM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
kopfenjager is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hmmm. Did you brake it in? Might have had a lobe or two let go...

Old 04-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Rangerf-350
New User
Rangerf-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fixed it

Thanks for the replies.... I found the issue. It was the electronic module box. I have never ran into that before, typically the module works or it doesnt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.