Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2019 XLT Black Widow versus Raptor Balck Widow

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:23 AM
GotSkillz2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 XLT Black Widow versus Raptor Balck Widow

New to this forum and am looking for some real time feedback since I am about to purchase either a 2019 XLT Black Widow or Raptor Black Widow vehicles. I have test driven the XLT and the Raptor will be this week. I have read the spec sheets over and over again but wanted to ask real life users of both what their feedback is.

I love the look of the Raptor but am hesitant due to Super fuel, V6, and cost- with the black widow conversion this is over 94K ouch but you only live once.

Who has either with this conversion and do you have any reservations? If so what are they?

I have also talked to SCA performance at length about them and provided great incite.

I am leaning towards the Raptor but as I said not too sure I want to be dumping super into it all the time and the V6- really want to test drive it this week back to back to see what I like better.

I am coming off my 3td Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 engine but ready to change it up after 3 of these.

Thanks for all your feedback either good or bad....I want it all. Be Good - Be Happy - Be Yourself

Got Skillz 2

Old 04-14-2019, 10:01 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I'd say if you're considering spending $90k+ on a vehicle but worried about the cost of 93 octane fuel then get the XLT.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:01 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by GotSkillz2
New to this forum and am looking for some real time feedback since I am about to purchase either a 2019 XLT Black Widow or Raptor Black Widow vehicles. I have test driven the XLT and the Raptor will be this week. I have read the spec sheets over and over again but wanted to ask real life users of both what their feedback is.

I love the look of the Raptor but am hesitant due to Super fuel, V6, and cost- with the black widow conversion this is over 94K ouch but you only live once.

Who has either with this conversion and do you have any reservations? If so what are they?

I have also talked to SCA performance at length about them and provided great incite.

I am leaning towards the Raptor but as I said not too sure I want to be dumping super into it all the time and the V6- really want to test drive it this week back to back to see what I like better.

I am coming off my 3td Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 engine but ready to change it up after 3 of these.

Thanks for all your feedback either good or bad....I want it all. Be Good - Be Happy - Be Yourself

Got Skillz 2
I think this all comes down to on how long you’re going to keep the vehicle and if resale value matters to you.
With that being said and in my opinion, a stock Raptor would be the better choice when it’s time to sell it.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:14 PM
JKBrad
Received 801 Likes on 586 Posts
If resale matters, conversion packages loose 100 percent of their value when you drive it off the lot, add to that normal depreciation of the truck.

Buy a non conversion truck and get all the rebates. Then take it your local 4x4 shop and build it the way you want.

Or, for what you’re willing to spend, you can buy a turn key Roush truck.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:49 PM
GotSkillz2
New User
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am not too worried about the price of fuel, just remembering to use it since I have not had a vehicle needing it all the time. Guess it will be like my Skidoo XRS- 91 or higher octane...
I will keep it for a while so resale is not so important but good to note- Thanks.
I like the idea of warranty on the conversion nor do I have the time or energy to build it- I work too much so I like the idea of driving it off the lot.

Very good points to keep in mind, not making a decision for atleast a week or 2 so keep em coming.

How about the V6 versus V8?

I love the suspension of the Raptor and aesthetics over the XLT....but I could always dress up the XLT with my LEDs etc...

Old 04-14-2019, 01:31 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no easy answer to the motor question. If you want the solid V8 sound, you won’t get it from the EB. But the EB is a monster, especially in the Raptor. It’s a personal choice.

If you want to drive off the lot with a solid warranty, buy the Raptor and maybe the extended warranty. If you want something more unique and “crazy”, then a Roush might meet your need since I believe you can get it with the standard 3yr/36k warranty.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:59 PM
wgierczynski
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying a Raptor and lifting it (i think thats what Black Widow package does) its like buying Mclaren and never go above 35mph. Lifiting the Raptor it takes all the advantage away of its Fox 3.0 13" of travel offroad suspension.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM
wgierczynski
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKBrad
If resale matters, conversion packages loose 100 percent of their value when you drive it off the lot, add to that normal depreciation of the truck.

Buy a non conversion truck and get all the rebates. Then take it your local 4x4 shop and build it the way you want.

Or, for what you’re willing to spend, you can buy a turn key Roush truck.
Not true ... if you buy Roush truck ready of the lot or you get full Roush Package by sending your brand new truck to Roush you still get all the Rebates either way you do it. Also value of your Roush truck (i am not sure how its with the others) its taken out of Black Book Value where you can pick exact options that you have on your truck. It does hold value way better then lets say regualar F150 Lariat 502A in my case (which my Roush is build on). My 2017 Roush SC was $75K last time I chedked with 13,500 miles was still valued at $64,500 after 1.5 year. It did not loose 100% of aftermarket package value

Old 04-14-2019, 02:14 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
You don't have to run super unleaded in the Raptor. You can run 87 octane, but it makes more HP and torque with super unleaded.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:39 PM
JKBrad
Received 801 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally Posted by wgierczynski
Not true ... if you buy Roush truck ready of the lot or you get full Roush Package by sending your brand new truck to Roush you still get all the Rebates either way you do it. Also value of your Roush truck (i am not sure how its with the others) its taken out of Black Book Value where you can pick exact options that you have on your truck. It does hold value way better then lets say regualar F150 Lariat 502A in my case (which my Roush is build on). My 2017 Roush SC was $75K last time I chedked with 13,500 miles was still valued at $64,500 after 1.5 year. It did not loose 100% of aftermarket package value
I should have worded that better. I don’t consider Roush or Hennessey to be conversions. They do keep their value.

I’m talking about companies like Tusacny, Good Times, Choo Choo etc, that bolt on a lot of accessories to sell as a “custom” package.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
My local Ford dealer sells the Black Widow XLT by SCA....it's $70K here.
For $70K....I'd go with a fully loaded Raptor. 100%, no questions.

If I wanted a bunch of bolt on parts....I'd buy a truck and have it done how I want it. The markup on these conversion trucks is nuts.

The OP mentioned that he wanted to buy it and drive it off the lot....just how he wants it. You can do that at most dealers.
Pick your truck, then have the dealership send it to an upfitter or local customizer and then buy and pick up the truck when it's ready.
They will mark it up and roll it into your payment or tell you how big a check to write.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM
jamiel100
New User
I love the look of the Raptor too! I have been back and forth many times trying to decide if I should get it or a platinum/lariat with V8. I ultimately decided on the V8 and recently changed over to the Lariat from Platinum. It all comes down to what you are using it for and what is important to you. I will not be doing any offroading, instead my truck will be my daily street driver and I wanted to have a sexy, fun truck to drive. I opted for the V8 Lariat for this reason. I wanted to supercharge mine and throw on a 6" lift. From what I have read, the power from the supercharger is felt instantly, where as turbo suffers from some lag. I also did not want to lift a 2019 Raptor and loose the functionality of the new suspension that it comes with (seemed like a waste of money to me). The bumper that I wanted was not available for the Raptor (Fab Fours Grumper). I found a dealership who is willing to tune the truck, put on a lift, supercharger and new exhaust (among other things) and still offer full warranty even if Ford will not honor theirs with all of the upgrades. I would check with some of your local dealers to see if there is one that may offer this for you. It opens up all kinds of doors for you if you are looking for a specific look or performance and then you can drive it off the lot the way that you want it. I also had a lot of fun putting it together on paper, although I understand that you do not have a lot of free time on your hands.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM
bwep
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
If buying a new Raptor the only company's I would even consider purchasing from would be Shelby or Roush. I left Hennessy out because there are a lot of strange story's floating around about some of there work. As for theses other company's like Black widow, Tuscany, etc there Jazzed up XLT's are nice looking, and that's the playground they should be staying in.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:45 AM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll help you spend your money ...

Btw, the reviewer generally doesn't smile on the job. But he has a huge silly grin whenever the throttle goes down on this thing.