Camper/Boat fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Favored
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camper/Boat fitment

Have a 2019 F350 CCSW short box with a 4.5” Carli lift, long travel air bags, 37” toyo MTs.
My ideal situation is to have a camper and tow my boat so I can camp and fish hundreds of miles away.
Boat is a 27’ Grady White.
Engine is 6.7 diesel.
Wondering with the SW and short bed if what I want is even possible. Don’t mind a small camper, but if so, what models and size should I be looking at?
Saw a Lance on a short bed the other day and was impressed.
Then there’s the whole issue of hitch extensions and how that would work with a camper and a boat. Anybody towing boats and have campers with single wheel trucks?
Any advise or thoughts on the situation is appreciated!

Old 04-14-2019, 12:33 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
big campers with slides wheel be limmited where you take them off road compared to small pop up campers,You will need to investigate loaded camper weights [as example Our Articfox 811s fully loaded weighs 4500lb] compare to Your truck specs on driver side door frame Torklift makes a heavy duty receiver hitch called a Super Hitch & magnum super hitch & super truss in length options for different campers,there fast gun tie downs are very nice.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 AM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got done pulling a 16’ enclosed trailer to Alaska behind my 2000 f350 CCSW long bed. Needed a 18” extension to get out past my camper. It towed beautifully with the weight distribution hooked up. Better than just the camper on the truck. One thing. Well lots of things. One make sure you tires are up for the task. Load range E but be careful as they might be a low weight rating E. Two. Good tie downs and a rubber bed mat. It will move around some without the rubber mat it as wood on metal just doesn’t work. Mine moved about 5-6 inches in 2 hours one time. Got the rubber floor mat. Never moved the rest of the 8000miles. I just got 3x4 horse stall Mats from tractor supply. Three. MAke sure your hitch is up to spec. Putting a hitch extension in causes a lot more leverage on your hitch. Superhitch is good but I got away with a Curt Class V hitch. 2,770 tongue weight and 17,000 trailer weight. Four. You might need possible airbags or timbrens or add a leafs. I have timbrens and they work great. I could probably keep going on so if you have any more questions feel free to ask

Old 04-15-2019, 03:58 AM
Favored
Junior User
Alaskapilot95, can you elaborate on the weight distribution you referred to. Is that an accessory or is it literally that, distributing the weight?

Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 AM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Originally Posted by Favored
Alaskapilot95, can you elaborate on the weight distribution you referred to. Is that an accessory or is it literally that, distributing the weight?
I mean like the weight distribution hitch with the bars like this.

It’s not bad to distribute the weight either. We kept only the necessities in our camper and put the rest in the trailer.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Pickledboater
Tuned
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
A weight distributing hitch won’t work with surge brakes on a boat trailer, because it will interfere with the movement needed to activate the brakes. Maybe if the tongue of your trailer is long enough, you can get it to the truck without much of an extension, under the overhang of a short box camper without an auxiliary bumper.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Favored
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pickledboater
A weight distributing hitch won’t work with surge brakes on a boat trailer, because it will interfere with the movement needed to activate the brakes. Maybe if the tongue of your trailer is long enough, you can get it to the truck without much of an extension, under the overhang of a short box camper without an auxiliary bumper.
That is a good call about the surge brakes

Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 PM
alaskapilot95
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pickledboater
Oh sorry didn't catch that before. Wouldn't suggest the weight distribution then for your brake setup. I would get a camper that doesn't stick to far over the back of your truck then so you can still hitch the boat up to your regular receiver. It's better to start out with a smaller camper. Less hitch extension problems and alot cheaper.