Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

U Joint Flange Removal

Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 PM
78ShortBed-
Senior User
78ShortBed- is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
Hopefully I'll get to use my chef boyardee ravioli can this time too to place the axle seal. I tried using it for the pinion seal but it was just barely too small. I wasted a whole can for nothing...

We used to use 2# coffee cans on big trucks.
And sometimes no access to a wheel dolly, so we would grease up a 1x12 and let the wheel down enough to touch the board, then slide it off the spindle.
Those were the days.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM
Mearntain
Senior User
Mearntain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 78ShortBed- View Post

We used to use 2# coffee cans on big trucks.
And sometimes no access to a wheel dolly, so we would grease up a 1x12 and let the wheel down enough to touch the board, then slide it off the spindle.
Those were the days.
You gotta do what you gotta do! Sometimes the backyard ways work out better anyways.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Crop Duster
Posting Guru
Crop Duster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
While you have those axles out. Spin the bearings if they make more than one revolution or sound rough you might want to replace them while everything is apart. Remember they are permanently lubricated whatever grease was in them when new is all there ever will be.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
Mearntain
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
While you have those axles out. Spin the bearings if they make more than one revolution or sound rough you might want to replace them while everything is apart. Remember they are permanently lubricated whatever grease was in them when new is all there ever will be.
Good call, I'll double check that when I have them out. I'm pretty sure when I reinstalled them the other week, I did check for that, and I'm pretty sure I remember a half spin and that was all. Or maybe that was the fronts that I remember that being the case on? Either way, I'll double check again this time to be sure, thanks for bringing that up.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
Mearntain
Senior User
Just got out to the garage and noticed something funny. Hopefully I didnt break anything in the process and it's as simple as just tightening the pinion nut more.

I noticed when I turn the the axles, the drive shaft doesnt spin. If I turn the drive shaft, the axles will spin, but touching a stud with your pinky finger will cause the axles to stop spinning.

Please tell me this is as simple as just needing to tighten the pinion nut more??

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
Mearntain
Senior User
Completely ignore my last post...both wheels were off the ground and I didnt have a prybar holding one still, no wonder the yolk wasnt spinning.. I feel like an idiot now, I'll excuse myself from here ha

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation

Yolk is the yellow portion of an egg.

Jus sayin'

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Mearntain
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post

Yolk is the yellow portion of an egg.

Jus sayin'
Ha good catch. Autocorrect gets me all the time

Old Today, 09:50 AM
78ShortBed-
Senior User
78ShortBed- is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
Completely ignore my last post...both wheels were off the ground and I didnt have a prybar holding one still, no wonder the yolk wasnt spinning.. I feel like an idiot now, I'll excuse myself from here ha

I think we all have that occasional brain bead dump.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.