Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

1995 F250 dual tank fuel issue

Old 04-13-2019, 06:14 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
ybshore is starting off with a positive reputation.
1995 F250 dual tank fuel issue

I could use your help: I was called to jury duty so the wife and I switched vehicles for the week asn she was driving the truck. She pulled in yesterday after work and the truck sputtered to a halt and would not start again for her. When I returned, the truck has spark but no pressure at the rail. The dual tank switch is having no effect on switching tanks to make the truck run. Turnkey all her life, it's the first time the Ford has failed us. Question: is there a pump IN each tank? Guide me please! TY

Old 04-13-2019, 06:28 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
ZombieF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you try to see if it was showing any codes? It will store codes without a CEL coming on.

Also here are some trouble shooting tips. https://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford...-relay-tests-1

Old 04-13-2019, 06:44 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
Q: is there one pump on each tank or is it one on the rail? TY

Old 04-13-2019, 07:06 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
As I try the tank switch, my fuel gauge is not responding. What may this be indicative of ? TY.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 AM
JJF20
New User
JJF20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes. There is a pump in each tank.

Ive had the switch fail on me. I disassembled it, cleaned it, reassembled and it worked fine (dirty contacts). I’ve had the problem in other makes as well. New switch is cheap, changing it out is easy as well.

You could also also have a pump/sending unti failed. doubtful for double pump failure at same time.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:03 AM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
First off check the Inertia fuel shut off switch. Push the red button on top down to reset it.
The Inertia switch is located in the behind passengers kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel for resetting it.
Dose the selected fuel pump now run for one second each time the key is turned to the run position?

Your fuel system:

/

Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ybshore View Post
As I try the tank switch, my fuel gauge is not responding. What may this be indicative of ? TY.
Empty fuel tanks.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
Not...wish....

Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 AM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
What does the fuel gauge needle point to when the key is turned to the run position?
Not...wish....
Are you also saying that the selected fuel pump will not run for one second each time the key is turned to the run position after pushing down on the Inertia fuel shut off switch?
If so short pin #2 to pin #6 of the self-test plug and turn the key to the run position. Does the selected pump run all the time now?
If not ground pin #6 of the self-test plug and turn the key to the run position. Does the selected pump run all the time now?

/

Old 04-13-2019, 10:42 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
The gauge is reading 3/4 in both tanks EXACTLY in not moving and I know one is about 1/2 and one is near full.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
Thanks so much for the guidance. Heading out to the barn to inertia test her...what would your sequence be for troubleshooting the matter? TY.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:55 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
How does the **** come off the headlight switch?

Old 04-13-2019, 11:01 AM
subford
Post Fiend
How does the **** come off the headlight switch?

/

Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
I meant by not responding that it was staying at 3/4 with no movement via switch. Sputtered.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:07 AM
ybshore
Freshman User
I also note there is no pressure at the rail, even after cranking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.