1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

For those with Multiple Trucks or Projects

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
The latest, my 72 F250 4x4, again, just fell into my lap. My uncle offered it to me and made me a great deal.

Bobby
I need another project like I need another hole in my head, but Bobby, if you decide you don't have time for that '72, let me know. I'm kinda, sorta looking for that exact truck for a diesel swap.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Cobravii
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first project (lately) was a replica 1965 Shelby Cobra. I ordered it from Factory Five racing. It took me 9 months to assemble and make it legal to drive. It took me another year to do the body work and paint it. During this time my Dad decided he was going to give me his 1964 Buick Electra convertible. This is a car I grew up in a loved. It was ordered fully optioned and included the KX engine which is a dual quad super wildcat engine. Of course i jumped at the offer. he was starting restoration on it and He had rebuilt the engine, transmission and differential but the life got in the way and he never got to the body work. He needed shop space so the car was pushed outside. one of the dogs jumped on the roof and went through it. By the time my dad saw it the interior was full of snow. He did throw a nylon tarp over it. That got tattered and he put another one on.... and so on.... and so on. fast forward a dozen years and I come to pick it up. I peeled back 22 tarps!!! the interior was dusty but the leather although dry was not ripped. Once I got them off it didn't look too bad. I popped the hood and saw there was no air cleaner on it :-( The engine only had about 20 minutes of run time on it but it was stuck. I opened the door and sat down and had a sinking sensation as the seat sunk through the floor! I realized then I was in trouble. I spent the next ten years doing a complete frame off restoration.
The project I am currently on is a 1950 Ford F47 that my father left me he passed away. I am doing a frame off on it as well but with a '50's flare. The original flathead runs well so I put all new gaskets, Edelbrock finned aluminium heads and 3x2 carb set up with a Mustang T5 transmission, power steering and power disc brakes.I am starting the body work now. Thankfully this one is in a lot better shape than the Buick when I started.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well they always say concentrate on one project at a time if you ever hope to finish. My whole life has been about multi tasking.
The 5 trucks, House, wood working projects and doing for others. Its like im standing waiting when i have only a few. My thinking with the truck repairs was that if you make one fender bottom you might as well make 6 they all rot the same places. Repairing all the same ones back to back
keeps it fresh in your mind and the last four go as fast as the first two. It also gives me the option to mix and match some things that are the same.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Brian1950F4
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
The nice thing about having multiple similar projects is you can look at the other ones when you have questions. Also you can borrow parts from one to another to figure out issues before you buy even more parts.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Beside my '49

Here's my '49 Ford F1 (Darkside rebuild)

'62 Harley Davidson XLCH Sportster (complete rebuild)

'95 Ch3vy Tahoe LT 4x4 (body damage, paint, and interior)

Beside vehicles; Here is my '84 Sig Sauer P220-9 with Euro Heel Mag Release, need to strip down and recoat (Frame and Slide), fix a few other issues I've found. Great small arms, but will make it better.. Also have a Remington Model 514 .22, that will be stripped down, re blued, stock stripped and re-varnished. Then there's the Winchester Model 1906 that I need to look at again (this was my dad's first firearm)

Along with Mom's house, Laurie's (Sister's) Housel, Our House, Family Cabin, Mom's and Laurie's Rental, Always something that can be done... never know what's next!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Dirtbag
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZSK
This could transfer into OT vehicles also, but for those with multiple project vehicles; what made you pick up the second or third or fourth? Was it a dream car/truck that you've wanted for years, or a niche vehicle to put a peg into a hole in your fleet? Something that just caught your eye driving down the road
Most of mine are opportunity driven. Right place, at the right time, and it was a good deal I wouldn't lose money on. I have a couple that I was particularly looking for, but most were just found lucky opportunities. Some people collect nick-nacks, I seem to collect cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles... etc. I moved out of town and bought a farmstead for the buildings, and not to farm ;-)

also... my wife is an enabler, and I'd say found most of them for me, knowing I'm a Ford guy

Old 04-14-2019, 05:39 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Great stuff guys! Looks like we are all a bit nuts and have way more ideas than we have time and money for....LOL

Life is good

Bobby
Bobby,
When I saw your earlier post I was going to post my usual Facebook comment of "Not enough......" and restrained myself. After this one yes, YOU do not have enough projects.

Philip

Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is only one car project in my garage.....presently. I have parts for at least two other car projects, some of which came from my original hot rod project from 1965. Yes, I typed 1965. The current garage project is the 1948 F1 Lightning project which I found on the bulletin board at So-Cal Arizona in Phoenix in 2009. So ten years on and two job changes and a move from Mesa to Tucson and now retirement I am still at the 48 F1 project.

This doesn't count the house remodel, the swimming pool remodel and the numerous woodworking furniture projects and the garden. As well as four grandchildren, three of which run amok in our house every Thursday. They do help with the truck project and are actually helpful. Who said retirement was boring?

At least one photo from the truck project is required. Here is a picture of the disk brake caliper bracket I designed and built for the dual piston Wilwood caliper to mount on the 1989 Dodge Dakota spindle and Dodge D150 rotor on the Dakota IFS on the 48.

Philip, aka AZAV8

Old 04-15-2019, 08:59 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO COMMON SENSE - Clear and simple answer - I have sworn that what I'm doing right now is my last rodeo - I was talking with a guy this past Friday and he was talking about his work related cross country moves and moving several projects with the family - I n the conversation he mentioned that he had TWO RUNNING PACKARD STR8 FLATHEAD MOTORS - I think I may be in serious negotiations

Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Guys,
Sorry I have a tractor and antique equipment problem. Its as bad or worse than a truck problem! Allis Chalmers, International, John Deere, Massey, Ford, Various shapes and sizes from lawn tractors to farm tractors to tracked loaders. So why do I want a truck project at some point? Just because I think it would be neat and I am just old enough to relate to when the 56 Ford was 10 years old! All these things are money pits! Drives the wife crazy, me spending time and money on these old pieces of scrap!
Just a couple shots because if there isn't pictures it didn't happen!

Allis D17 at local tractor pull. Unrestored but fully functional (1957)
Name:  eyISxNx.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  87.2 KB

International TD6 loader dozer Very well worn The ultimate money pit! (1954) For some reason I like it!
Name:  c89tNBH.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  169.8 KB

Ford Jubilee (1953) Wanted one since I was a kid. Wait Not sure I ever grew out of that phase!
Name:  uuEmzwg.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  49.1 KB

Restored Massey 8 hp, and multiple Cub cadets and equipment (1970's) Was my wifes grandmothers. Took a parts tractor and lots of hours!
Name:  FVf7t7W.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  89.6 KB
Name:  Pd1GU9L.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  88.8 KB

WD Allis Chalmers (1950) helping at haying time (this tractor was rough) This was one of my Uncles tractors
Name:  BFonvJL.jpg
Size:  107.1 KB

Grandson Nic and his great grandfathers Allis WD (1950) I restored and gave to him.
Name:  msKvtCG.jpg
Size:  116.1 KB

Allis WD45 (1955) current project, doing engine rebuild right now.
Name:  UsPt12o.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  88.6 KB

Most of these are completed projects, but you can see the trend here!
Thanks for looking! Yea I need a truck project! Think I will go check Craigslist!

Regards,
Chris

Old 04-15-2019, 04:13 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Chris, nice tractors.... And it's nice to see red and orange but Green for a change!

Is that the optional saw hitched to the back of your Ford in the shed?

Old 04-15-2019, 04:23 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
OK, here's a related question. How old is too old. I turned 56 last December. I have '49 F-2, my baby and the one that gave me the initial infection. Needs a face lift on the 25 year old restoration. I have the '52 F-4 half together, the '48 panel that is drivable but also needs a facelift, and the '37 Buick that pushed the F-4 to the back because my wife liked it. That one I've done a lot work to but still needs a lot just to make run on its own. When is too old and should sell of some. I know 56 isnt all that old yet but I know I don't have the same energy to work late into the night like I did with the F-2.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Brian1950F4
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
OK, here's a related question. How old is too old. I turned 56 last December. I have '49 F-2, my baby and the one that gave me the initial infection. Needs a face lift on the 25 year old restoration. I have the '52 F-4 half together, the '48 panel that is drivable but also needs a facelift, and the '37 Buick that pushed the F-4 to the back because my wife liked it. That one I've done a lot work to but still needs a lot just to make run on its own. When is too old and should sell of some. I know 56 isnt all that old yet but I know I don't have the same energy to work late into the night like I did with the F-2.
I am hoping to have more time as I get older. Work keeps getting in the way of my many projects. 53 f350 driver, 50 f4 project, 48 f3 almost on the road, 62 fairlane needs seat redone. I am the same age as you. the energy level is definitely decreasing. I should probably focus on one project at a time, but as I hit road blocks I switch to the next one as I am figuring out the issues.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In order of purchase
1946 Ford Coupe - Slowly melting into the ground and awaiting a Str8 8 Flathead and a 30 style racing body
1948 Ford Panel Truck - Being built and supposed to be my last rodeo
1952 Ford F2 - Awaiting someone capable of climbing all over it installing a wiring harness
1957 Massey Ferguson 35
2008 Harley 1200 Low turned Trike
2016 GMC Colorado Cause the Harley is the only other thing that runs and it's too damn cold in the winter
2017 4 wheel electric off road scooter cause my legs are shot

Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I need another project like I need another hole in my head, but Bobby, if you decide you don't have time for that '72, let me know. I'm kinda, sorta looking for that exact truck for a diesel swap.
I've only had the thing for a few months now, haven't even driven it yet. I did get it running but not driving. It'll be awhile yet before I lose interest

Originally Posted by AZAV8
Bobby,
When I saw your earlier post I was going to post my usual Facebook comment of "Not enough......" and restrained myself. After this one yes, YOU do not have enough projects.

Philip
I hear, ya, I need more!

I forgot to mention the tractor and yea, I guess that the 2 gun safes in the house could be kind of a project. The tractor is a 1958 Massey Ferguson TO35

Quick Reply: For those with Multiple Trucks or Projects