1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Allow Me To, Humbly, Introduce Myself And My Truck

Old 04-11-2019, 03:39 PM
SD Swede
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Allow Me To, Humbly, Introduce Myself And My Truck

My name is Peter and I'm an alcoh....sorry, wrong forum. (How do you delete text here???)

My name is Peter and I recently bought a 1986 F-250, XL, 4WD, Supercab, 4.9L IDI with the Banks turbo and 30,700 miles. I'm not new to the old car game (just sold my '69 F-250) but I've never owned a diesel of any sort, nor this gen Ford pickup, before. So, I'm here to absorb and learn. Then, apply it to turn wrenches on my truck, on my own, as much as is reasonably possible.

The truck was bought on October 14, 1985 by Mr. John R. Doyle (much respect due) of The Dalles, OR. He purchased his special ordered truck at Ray Schultens Motors, which opened on April 17th, 1964 and is still operating as a dealership in The Dalles, OR today. On January 15, 1986 Mr. Doyle had Northside Ford install the Banks turbo charger at a cost of $3,564.00. Mr. Doyle, as you can probably tell by now, kept amazingly detailed records. His last notation in his "Automobile Record Book" was for an oil change on August 14, 2018, at 30,600 miles. Sadly, the world lost Mr. Doyle a few months later at the young age of 97.

I purchased the truck from Mr. Doyle's daughter out of Vancouver, WA a couple of weeks back. As I explore it, I keep being amazed at it's originality and overall condition. So far, it has lost some weight. I removed the canopy and what looked to be a custom made front hitch receiver (3 no less) and spare tire mount. With the canopy removed I could re-install the truck's tailgate. According to Mr. Doyle's daughter, he had had the canopy mounted just a few days after buying the truck and stored the tailgate. It's like brand new, not even a single scratch in or out.

I have several chores in mind and therefore, suggestions are very welcomed. The clear coat is all but gone from the hood, roof and a small portion of the driver's side front fender. It too bad since the rest of the truck's paint is excellent. I'll probably go with one of 3 options here: Wax remained of the thin paint and leave it alone, or, Try to paint and clear myself (super scary), have a pro do the hood and roof??? Rust - the only spots on the entire truck are a small portion of the top of the drip rail above the driver's side window, and 2 small spot below the slider rear window seal. I'll be fixing these asap (as soon as it stops raining, day 11 here now).

A couple of things, which my OCD keeps me awake at night over, are ; the bed is not perfectly lined up with the cab on the passenger side (bed is slightly higher). On the driver's side it's fine?? Can this be adjusted? If I climb up in the bed and walk towards the pass side it settles down to almost perfect. Could it be loose towards one side more than the other? Secondly, the passenger door seems to need outward adjustment? When fully closed, the leading rear edge of the door sits inside the cab seem about a 1/4 ". Can the door be adjusted outward? Looks like possibly the catch mechanism on the door itself can be??

Anyways, thanks so much for your patience and, mostly, thanks in advance for the assistance I'll inevitably be requiring.

Cheers,

Peter
Florence, OR

Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 680 Likes on 544 Posts
Welcome, your truck is a beauty. She looks similar to my '84 F250HD 351W 4x4 Supercab.

Senior-owned vehicles are the best! When I was shopping for a used pickup (circa 1992), I had looked at many of dubious heritage. At one dealer, I finally came across a truck with an oil change reminder on the door jamb, a shakily hand-written note on a stick-on label intended for a Glad freezer bag. Who would do something like that but a senior citizen? I had quickly learned all I needed to know. Sold! Never regretted my decision.

Service records showed the truck had spent summers in Oregon and winters in Arizona. Snowbirds, probably used the truck mostly for pulling a trailer. This fit my hunch of a senior owner.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:53 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Received 591 Likes on 512 Posts
Nice truck...I own the same thing in Midnight Blue.

For your hood that lost it's clear coat and other body rust spots I highly recommend a light coat of Fluid Film. Get the bulk not the spray...though the spray will work too...and brush on a light coat with a 2" paint brush. Less is more. Use a clean mechanic's rag folded in quarters and keep the same side to the body to help spread it and buff it in a bit. I do the entire body. This is not like wax...so easy to apply. Think "don't put too much on...less is more...spread it out thin and win". You can do the entire body with about a half a cup. Paint up your gutters with a good coat and any other problem rust spots. If you do have holes the spray can is handy for spraying inside any penetrations at rust spots.

Your truck looks very clean. When you finish with the fluid film your body will be protected against the elements. Amazing how it beads up the water. And your hood will look much better...you may decide to delay painting it as it brings back the color and makes it shine like a clear coat. It penetrates rust to the bare metal and stops rust. Magic stuff. Then you can get on to fluid filming the rest of your truck! Frame, suspension, axles...everything but the brake surfaces ie inside the drums or rotors. And no...I am not a Fluid Film dealer.

I don't do much wet wash on my truck any more. A light spray with cold water to wash away dirt, no soap, no scrubbing. Let it dry and use a dry wash car mop to sweep away any remaining dirt and or paper towels to touch up any bad spots. If you want to get the fluid film off use hot soapy water. Be sure to thoroughly wash your truck before applying Fluid Film.

Avoid getting it on the windows but comes clean with grocery store knock off windex and paper towels...or use windex if you like. The cheap stuff works the same.

BB2

Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 AM
vroma
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Credit to Rod Fenris who conducted this real-world test of the fluid.

NB: at the end of the video he says to avoid rubber gaskets, seals etc.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 279 Posts
BB2, is this the stuff you're talking about?

Amazon Amazon

I might have to get some of that myself!

BTW, welcome to the site Peter! That truck is immaculate (I thought mine was a cream puff).

Body panel alignment seems to be an issue with these old trucks (more of a problem than my Oldsmobile from the 70s). You can rebuild the door hinges and bushings with this kit.

Amazon Amazon

Also, between the truck body/bed and the frame are rubber bushings. These get worn out and can be replaced. Here are some from LMC Trucks, others might know a better source.

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

You also need to go to our IDI forum and introduce yourself or post some questions. There are some guys that rarely browse our Bullnose forum but have a wealth of IDI knowledge (and vice versa).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/

Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Olds64
BB2, is this the stuff you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-Pr...A1E8AJDELN2AKR

I might have to get some of that myself!
Yep partner...that's the stuff. And the directions do say to limit contact with non-oil resistant rubber items. I do not apply any to rubber parts that I don't think are oil resistant. I also use rubberized undercoat in areas where rocks can hit the underbody. I don't use FF on it directly but on the passenger side battery pan that sits up in the wheel well I undercoated the exposed part and then used FF on the battery pan above before installation. Some of the FF migrated out the drain hole and came in contact with the undercoat and so far no detrimental effect. I'm using Rustoleum undercoat, mostly to keep up an original undercoating I had the dealer do when I bought the truck. Still I avoid rubber contact. Rubberized under coat should be tested in a small spot if you want to put FF on it. Mostly I brush it on so it's easy to avoid any rubber...which spray application may be less discriminating.

I can't say enough good about this product. I started using it on all kinds of metal all over the farm.

BB2

Old 04-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Onions.n.Butter
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gorgeous truck!

Old 04-12-2019, 12:00 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
In case anyone was wondering what a dry wash mop is. I've had this one for decades. Dust your truck instead of washing. Give it a good shake to clear any debris intermittently as you go. I wash it a bit from time to time.

These used to be sold in every autoparts store. I'm not sure if they are still around?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 279 Posts
BB2, here's the car duster/dry mop I bought from the auto parts store 20+ years ago.

Amazon Amazon

Sorry...

Old 04-13-2019, 07:10 AM
51Flood
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gorgeous!! Great roofers truck...Interior is clean..like to have your steering wheel and cruise controls....

Old 04-13-2019, 10:03 AM
SD Swede
5th Wheeling
Thank you everyone for your replies, I appreciate it very much. Had never heard of FF, now ordered. I've, for years, been a fan of the car dusters as well. So quick and easy to go over an entire vehicle. If you keep on top of it, it seems you can fight off washes for months. Tho, with how I plan to use the truck, a duster won't be enough! This weekend I'm gonna try to adjust the bed a little and see how that goes. I will take a peek over at the IDI section, thanks for the suggestion.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 04-13-2019, 01:32 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SD Swede
Thank you everyone for your replies, I appreciate it very much. Had never heard of FF, now ordered. I've, for years, been a fan of the car dusters as well. So quick and easy to go over an entire vehicle. If you keep on top of it, it seems you can fight off washes for months. Tho, with how I plan to use the truck, a duster won't be enough! This weekend I'm gonna try to adjust the bed a little and see how that goes. I will take a peek over at the IDI section, thanks for the suggestion.

Have a great weekend everyone!
On the FF...remember...less is more on the body and paint. You can always add more later if you need it. Can't stress this enough...on your frame and suspension you don't need to be so fussy...just paint it on. It tends to migrate. Bake it in, in the sun!

You have adjustment in your doors and fenders too. And hinges do wear out. On the bed adjustment make sure your tires are the same wear. That can throw off the bed.

Cheers!
BB2

Old 05-03-2019, 05:01 PM
SD Swede
5th Wheeling
So far;
sanded down the hood, roof and top section of the driver's side fender. Shot the metallic base and then clear with just spray cans. A lot better than before, and to me, good enough. In a few days I'll wet sand and polish and be done with it. Touched up the steel wheels and finally found the deep enough dog dish caps I wanted. Mounted the spare in the bed.
On the interior I previously had a sagging and mildly warped headliner that I think had been attacked by moisture thru the leaking rear window seal. I found a nice condition headliner at my local pick and pull, albeit the wrong color, and installed it after spraying it with some fabric paint. New rear window seal installed.

Still plugging along on some minor details. As far as the door goes, I mistakenly said leading (front) portion of the door. It actually the rearward portion that is off, like closing too far, by 1/4". Haven't solved that or the bed alignment yet.
Today's glamour shot:

Peter

Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 PM
skaeke
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
That is one nice mint looking truck

Old 05-03-2019, 06:48 PM
'86F350ken
Laughing Gas
Any relation to someone named Blane by chance?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Allow Me To, Humbly, Introduce Myself And My Truck