Notices
Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken rear glass on rear shell

Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 PM
bigredtruck
Elder User
bigredtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Broken rear glass on rear shell

Had a little mishap with the weed eater kicking up a rock today:

From the looks of it, I can undo 4 rivets and take the bottom rail off. I already have the gasket out of the channel and all of the glass cleaned up. I am considering going back with a light smoked plexiglass.

Anyone else have to tackle this project before?

Old 04-10-2019, 11:10 PM
916hawk
New User
916hawk is starting off with a positive reputation.
as a person that works with glass daily, I think you will hate plexi or lexan. eventually the sun will take it out breaking it down micro cracking or yellowing. or you will have a few thousand scratches in it and the sight will be unbearable.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:19 PM
916hawk
New User
916hawk is starting off with a positive reputation.
i would take a card board pattern into a glass shop and get a piece of tempered glass made. as long as the card board fits the glass will as well. save a piece of the original glass to match the thickness and color. for reference at my shop in nocal it would cost around $175

Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 PM
bigredtruck
Elder User
I ordered a piece of UV resistant, high impact resistance tinted acrylic from McMaster Carr. $45 for a 2ft x 4ft piece. We'll see how it goes. It arrives Monday.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:14 AM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Broke the side panel smoked window of my cap with a rock from the lawn mower once. Didnít realize it until I parked the mower when I was done and thought there was oil all over yhe gravel. Was the smoked glass in tiny pieces

i agree with the above poster re not using acrylic/lexan. Had that in my skidsteer door; the tiny cracks inside it over the years made it so I couldnít even see out of the sun or a bright light was in front if me. Replaced it with glass

Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM
bigredtruck
Elder User
Some measuring, outlining, cutting, testing, cutting, testing, cutting, testing and installing later:

I have this same material on one of my shed door windows and its been there for several years and is still crystal clear. I guess time will tell.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:53 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
You know what they say Looks good from my house.
It's not like you need to look out the window like you would out the front glass.
Dave ----

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.