Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.5 Box vr. 6.5 Box

Old 04-10-2019, 04:38 PM
rrgone
Senior User
rrgone is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.5 Box vr. 6.5 Box

I've been searching online thru SW Florida dealerships looking at leftover 2018s. There's a bunch to look at but everything with Supercrew cab looks to be 5.5 box length. Maybe just me but that proportion just looks wrong. Did Ford not make many supercrews with 6.5 bed in 2018 or are they mostly just sold by now?

Old 04-10-2019, 05:04 PM
HiTechRedneck1
New User
HiTechRedneck1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.5 bed is rare indeed, the 6.5 & Coyote motor is a Unicorn!

Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM
IndyDog
Senior User
IndyDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the 5.0 6.5 SCrew, there's a bunch on here.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.
Around here, it is now extremely rare but when I got my 2016 5.0 Screw with the 6.5, it was kind of common. By 2018, I could not find one.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I seem to see a lot of Supercrew 6.5 trucks driving around here, but I have seen very few on any dealer lots. I know when I was truck shopping (looking for an extended cab) probably 90% of the trucks I found were Supercrews, and probably 98% of those had the 5.5' bed. I think dealers just tend to keep the 5.5' supercrews in stock because that's what sells, a lot of people don't want the longer wheelbase.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
When we got ours, the super crew plus 6.5' box could not be found on the lot of any dealer within the state. We had to order ours.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:31 PM
systems
Freshman User
systems is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ended up going with supercab to get the 6.5 bed and keep 145" wb for a bit easier drive-ability. I guess if you will have people riding in the back often you'd definitely want supercrew though.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:30 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
jthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud ofjthorngate3 has much to be proud of
My decision on the supercrew was based on having kids, and the 5.5' bed on availability. I loved my old supercrew with the 6.5' bed, but I've been overall pleased with the shorter truck and driveability. The kayaks never fit that much better in the longer bed either. I will say, though, that everytime I see a supercrew with the 6.5' bed, I'm jealous. That never once happened the other way around when I had the longer bed. I was never jealous of the shorter bed. I never had to convince myself that the 6.5' bed was good enough like I often do with the 5.5' bed, haha.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM
jr105
Senior User
jr105 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by systems View Post
I ended up going with supercab to get the 6.5 bed and keep 145" wb for a bit easier drive-ability. I guess if you will have people riding in the back often you'd definitely want supercrew though.
Same here, and it fits in my garage better.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:22 AM
tree10
Junior User
tree10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A factor that many don't think about is how much better the Screw with the 6.5 bed rides. No substitute for a long wheelbase.
The really weird thing is Ford's pricing policy a 6.5 Screw with the 3.5 or 5L is actually slightly cheaper then the 5 foot bed! (Cnd pricing) Go figure.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
I had a short box once, and said never again. I always think that I donít need the extra foot for daily use and driving, but that one time I need it, I think the world ended. This last trip to Florida, I would have never made with five of us and a short bed. I maintain that IF I ever compromise, Iíll have to get a topper instead of a lid to make up for the cubic foot loss... although my primary love for the 6-1/2 foot bed is 8 foot studs fit crossways and the tailgate still closes. With a locking lid. Itís all safe from sticky fingers.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM
jamiel100
New User
jamiel100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Pulled up pics of trucks with both bed sizes and the screw with the 5.5 bed just doesn't look right to me. The cab is too big for the box in my opinion. The 5.5 bed would be a bit lighter though I would think. Not sure if it would be enough to make a difference.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 PM
IndyDog
Senior User
IndyDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jamiel100 View Post
Pulled up pics of trucks with both bed sizes and the screw with the 5.5 bed just doesn't look right to me. The cab is too big for the box in my opinion. The 5.5 bed would be a bit lighter though I would think. Not sure if it would be enough to make a difference.
Personally I think the back seat portion of the SCrew could be smaller, it's cavernous IMO. Might make the proportions on both bed sizes a bit better.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ghunt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That was part of my reason for not even looking at the super crews...they are just HUGE and I don't need that much space back there. I almost never have anyone else with me besides my wife, and our dog rides in the back just fine with the seat folded up.

I will say also, I don't haul with my truck a lot but I've been glad for the 6.5' bed when I did. I had to take a bunch of old sections of fence to the dump last fall and as it was they were sitting on the tailgate. With a 5.5' bed they probably would have been hanging out the back.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:32 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Having owned 5.5, 6.5 and 8' beds in several different trucks, I think they all have their uses. For a family vehicle, which a lot of people use F150's as, the 5.5' bed is pretty nice. the extra foot on the 6.5' bed is a sweet spot for me for my camping trips where I usually need to carry firewood, generator, kids bikes and other assorted junk. I never got full use from the 8' bed, but could see the use for a true work truck. I rarely carry lumber, and if I do, the lumberyard is 500 yards from my house, so I don't mind if it hangs off the end a bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: