Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Best rear main seal for 6.4

Old 04-10-2019, 09:20 AM
Fefanatic
Elder User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best rear main seal for 6.4

I am getting ready to order a new rear main seal for my replacement engine (since I am there). Looking at Rock auto there are four different brand seals. Timkin, Mahle, Fel pro, and National. I'm not sure which is the upgraded seal. Can anyone tell me? Maybe they all are but there is no information in the sale that says so.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:15 AM
036.0stroke
Senior User
036.0stroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use felpro in all my powerstroke rebuilds.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 AM
73fan
Elder User
73fan has a good reputation on FTE.73fan has a good reputation on FTE.
Fel-pro is a very common name that we use a lot at our shop. Timkin is a trusted name in bearings...

Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Fefanatic
Elder User
I have the rear main seal out. I believe it has been changed before as I can't find any Ford logo or pn on it. When I pulled the rear flange plate from the crankshaft I noticed that it has been rubbing on the side of seal. The picture shows how it came out and the seal. Am I correct is believing that the seal should not be touching the flange plate? There was melted rubber on the seal indicating it had been hot.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Fefanatic
Elder User
I can answer my own question now. I did order the Fel Pro and it as the new style and with the plastic ring. As I can tell the plastic ring fills in the gap on the install tool to compensate for the lip that seems to contact the adapter ring bolted between flexplate and crankshaft. Upon close examination of the new seal it is a better design. I can see why they did that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: