Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck won’t start with key, only if I jump the solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:12 PM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won’t start with key, only if I jump the solenoid

I just recently put a reman C6 trans in my 89 f350 7.3 and for the first day everything was fine next morning the key wouldn’t turn over the truck so I jumped the solenoid and decided to deal with it later,now the little gear indicator won’t go into p,when it is in park and I have to manually jump the solenoid everytime,replaces the solenoid and took the neutral safety switch off and adjusted it every way possible and nothing.and ideas?Thanks

Old 04-09-2019, 06:25 AM
119er
Senior User
Check that the trigger wire is getting power with the key in start with a test light or check the continuity, which ever you prefer. If that fails, remove the ignition cylinder and check for power and proper connections. If the checks out, I would investigate what, if anything, the PRNDL has to do with the function of the system.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Scott Bowmaster
Senior User
The gear indicator doesn't have anything to do with your transmission. It's just a little cable that goes from the column shifter to under the dash. It's adjustable if you take the bottom of the column off. It passes through a tube and sometimes they can get sticky in there.
While you're in there, test your ignition switch.
Could be the neutral safety switch, but I'm more inclined to believe that your ignition switch failed and the shift indicator made you think neutral safety.

But before you do any of that. I would pull the codes, and see if it isn't sometime different all together.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
no codes to read on an IDI diesel with C6 trans, so don't bother with that.

when you turn the key to start position, do you feel a slight resistance, and the key pops back to run position when let go? if not, the ignition actuator in top of the column broke.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Scott Bowmaster
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
Yes, I glossed right over that and made the standard recommendation. Thanks TJC.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
figured so Scott. people forget the IDI diesels are pre computer except for the ones with an E4OD trans.
heck, the IDI trucks are older than a lot of our readers!!!

Old 04-09-2019, 11:58 PM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 119er
Check that the trigger wire is getting power with the key in start with a test light or check the continuity, which ever you prefer. If that fails, remove the ignition cylinder and check for power and proper connections. If the checks out, I would investigate what, if anything, the PRNDL has to do with the function of the system.
alright will do, didn’t think about tht little wire

Old 04-10-2019, 12:00 AM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Scott Bowmaster
The gear indicator doesn't have anything to do with your transmission. It's just a little cable that goes from the column shifter to under the dash. It's adjustable if you take the bottom of the column off. It passes through a tube and sometimes they can get sticky in there.
Could be the neutral safety switch, but I'm more inclined to believe that your ignition switch failed and the shift indicator made you think neutral safety.

But before you do any of that. I would pull the codes, and see if it isn't sometime different all together.
ya no codes on this old mechanical dinasour,once I get more time I’ll dive deeper into taking the ignition switch out

Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 AM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User

when you turn the key to start position, do you feel a slight resistance, and the key pops back to run position when let go? if not, the ignition actuator in top of the column broke.
yes I feel it spring back, I replaced the tumbler a couple months ago because the key was really hard too turn, no problems with it after till the new tranny was in

Old 04-10-2019, 12:03 AM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 119er
Originally Posted by Scott Bowmaster

figured so Scott. people forget the IDI diesels are pre computer except for the ones with an E4OD trans.
heck, the IDI trucks are older than a lot of our readers!!!
for now I wired a push to start button up, did it real nicely and hid the wires, I’m going to drill a small hole on the dash and place it in there, it will get me by for now, I have a lot of project with this truck coming up including paint and a Dana 60 swap.thanks for the tips guys appreciate it!

Old 04-10-2019, 12:04 AM
OBSTommy17
Freshman User

Here a pic of the truck btw!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:19 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
check the wires going to the nss.
it could simply be a broken wire or bad connection.

also, reach up under the dash. feel along the top of the steering column about above the brake pedal for the ignition switch. it may be separated.
the switch is half aluminum, half plastic. when the two parts split open all sorts of funky electrical issues appear out of the blue.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 AM
travlinmanus
Freshman User
Just a thought, but retest that new solonoid. Just because you replaced it with a new part doesn't mean its working correctly. If your still jumping it across to start then first one wasn't bad or they both are. . Been there and done that. We were about to flash a pcm a couple weeks ago and turns out it was a "NEW" coil pack on 06 mustang. Second coil pack in a week and purrs like a kitten now. Worth the second look.