Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dip stick whipping my ....

Old 04-08-2019, 04:19 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
rigid1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dip stick whipping my ....

I bought an 03 with a rusted off tube. I am finding out this is a bigger deal than I thought. The piece that was still there was about 4" up from the block. I was able to twist it up but I see no o- rings. It looks like a bell. I believe there is a piece now flush with the block that has the o ring bottom still in the block. Of course exhaust studs are junk so I didn't want to mess with that. Found this handy dandy tool for only $79 that would get it out in 3 minutes...after a lot of thinking and trying to get my hand behind the filter housing I called the company. Assured it would work I bit the bullet. Of course it did not work or fit as I was told. After calling them back they tell me they didn't test it on a 2 valve engine ,only a 3 valve. I now own a tool with a slight bend.
I have a 5/16 stainless lag bolt threaded in what I think is the remaining tube. I have beat on the bottom of the head with a bar trying to drive it up. I tried penetrant and now heat with a small torch thinking I could heat the o rings. still have not budged it. It is my understanding that I will not be able to take the pan off without trying to raise the engine in the truck ? My other thought was to try to remove the filter and hoses to see if I can get a better view with room to work. Not sure because there are 2 bolts that go through the motor mount into the block through the aluminum adapter. There is also a rusty than hell stud going to the block. Today someone suggest that people have been able to use a lifter removal tool to go through the tube and expand at the bottom using a slide hammer to pull it up. Is there a tool small enough to fit through the tube ? Am I chasing a tube end with O-rings that is not there ? I am finding out I am not much of a mechanic !! Thank you for your suggestions

Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM
rock2610d
Posting Guru
rock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to allrock2610d is a name known to all
Oil tube and not transmission tube?

Transmission tube has a nut that bolts it to back of passenger head. That needs removed to pull trans dip stick. The transmission has a stub that the upper dip stick fits into.

Oil tube is bolted to motor via a exhaust stud. It slips into oil pan with an oring on end. If that is what you are talking about I suggest a photo so we can see what you are dealing with.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:59 PM
rigid1
Freshman User

Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
Sorry , I didn't get the text on with the photos.It is the oil dip stick tube. This is the bottom end of the tube that i was able to pull from the block.I am trying to figure out if there is still more stuck inside ?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 PM
rigid1
Freshman User

This was what I tried to do with the tool. Not sure the photo will expand enough to give a good shot.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:47 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.
To remove the oil cooler assembly, you will need to take out at least 8 bolts on it, 4 of which also take off the motor mount. There is no way to pry the oil cooler up out of the way as it is cast aluminum and it will break before it bends.

Your picture of the end of the dipstick tube piece that you pulled out looks like the flare where it seats to the block. This leads me to believe that the rest of it is still in the block. It would seem to me that at this point it would be wise to scope it to see exactly what is left in the block and if it is still where it was or if you may have pushed it down into the pan.

This is what the lower end of a new dipstick tube looks like, what you pulled out appears to be the flare that is supposed to hold it up out of the block. If so, then the rest of it below the flare is either still in place or you have pushed it farther down.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:32 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
When you say scope it ,, Find a garage that has what type of a scope? Drain the oil and try to look up from the inside bottom of the pan ? Sorry I have not used a tool like this before.
Thank you

Old 04-09-2019, 04:38 PM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
Since you need a new dipstick I would buy one and compare with what you have. That will be a better indicator of what might still be in there.

Scope it means to borescope it. Harbor freight sells cheap but workable scopes.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yes, what he said. I Bought one off ebay for about $12 US that was 30 feet long, water "proof", & connects with USB & micro USB. The camera end is slightly smaller than a Bic pen and it included a 45 angle mirror to view sideways plus a magnet for ferrous retrieval.

Scope search on ebay.

These are cheap, will do what you are wanting.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:33 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
Thank you .. I will do some searching on the Ebay link and try to find on that will work. Do you suggest trying to go through the remaining tube or drain oil and go through the hole in the pan

Old 04-11-2019, 04:36 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
Really wish I wasn't old and wore out. I would try to take the pan off and drive it back up. My old SB chevy engines wear a piece of cake !!

Old 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
I would scope the dipstick hole first.
This is why I suggested the scope, to be certain what you are dealing with to see if the remaining piece is still in place or dropped down into the pan.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 PM
rigid1
Freshman User

Not sure if these are clear enough to see anything. My first attempt with my new 12$ camera ! This is from the top . Put the end in the hole but could not make anything out. I can try to get better pictures id it helps .
Thank you

Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
I

Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
I tried a couple more pictures . Is the raised boss part of the broken tube ? I am assuming it is. If that is the case it looks like this thing is rusted solid to the block. It looks like the only way to get this out is try to unbolt enough to raise the block and get the pan off or pull the whole motor. I sure don't want to do that.

What would be my chances of getting a new tube slid far enough inside the remainder of the tube and using red high temp silicone to seal the joint?

Thank you for the advice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.