Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dip stick whipping my ....

Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 PM
super 6.8
Posting Guru
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
That raised boss part does not look like a broken off dip stick. It's too uniform.

Have you bought a new dip stick to look at and compare with the old one yet?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
rigid1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just ordered one yesterday. Should be here by the week end

Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM
rigid1
Freshman User

Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 PM
rigid1
Freshman User
New dipstick finally made it. The picture shows I am missing something.I am not sure if it is still in the block or in the pan. When I took wiggle the original tube the piece in the photo is what I got. I wasted $70 with the tool shown. It did not bring the remainder up. Then I tried a 5/16 low carbon zinc lag bolt. It turned in tight and apparently I put enough pressure by hand to bend it. Went to a stainless 5/16 lag and after diving it up with a bar and hammer still no tube. I am now wondering if I possibly pushed it through and into the pan with the first lag bolt. The pictures prior to this do not look like it is a straight through hole to the pan which makes me think something is still there. I need to drain the oil/ filter anyway. Maybe try camera through drain hole and try to look up? If it it there it probably will stay. Pulling the pan sounds like a disaster.
other options;
Get the whole tube in as far as possible.If I cant get the bracket on the tube inline with the bolt hole I can make a small adapter piece to bolt it tight and mark the dipstick lower to show full.

As much as I hate too cut, the new tube just below the bell. Everything should bolt up and dipstick would be accurate. Then seal around the flange with red high temp silicone? I would not think pressure would be a problem?

Sorry I have drug this on so long.. I new this truck would be a project when I bought it. Very thankful to have this board for advice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.