Notices

Exhaust upgrade 292 yblock F100

Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Knockonwood
Freshman User
Knockonwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exhaust upgrade 292 yblock F100

Here is my current setup
As you can see, I have the original stock exhaust setup. I want to convert to headers and some nice aggressive mufflers. Anyone know of headers that will fit bolt-on? Looks like I'm going to have trouble on driver's side. I guess that's why they did the exhaust in this weird way to start with. I don't want to break the bank. Not looking for show, but functionality.

Last edited by Knockonwood; 04-08-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: incorrect grammar
Old 04-08-2019, 02:52 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Knockonwood View Post
I don't want to break the bank. Not looking for show, but functionality.
You could embrace yer inner hillbilly and just eliminate the crossover tube and send a 2nd exhaust tube back from that driver side manifold. This has been done a million times. Cost? Next to nothing. It looks rough though.

Y-blocks are a bit different with the upsweep on the manifolds and crossover tube. Keep your eye peeled for Rams horn manifolds that will work with your engine. Some buses and things like that had them. Make sure the bolt pattern is correct though, the Lincoln manifolds look similar but will not work with our 292s. Dual exhaust sounds great, run it all the way back to the bumper, use cherry bombs or steel pacs, whatever you like.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:56 PM
charliemccraney
Posting Guru
charliemccraney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.charliemccraney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There should be no trouble at all if you order headers for a truck. Red's, Sanderson, Speedway / Patriot are a few of your options. The Speedway / Patriot headers have issues with the crossmember on '61-'64.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Knockonwood
Freshman User
Knockonwood is starting off with a positive reputation.
Complete

I replaced my stock exhaust with Patriot headers. (They required persuasion to fit, but a little propane torch and a big hammer later, they're in). I bolted on 3" Puple Hornies with turn downs. It is loud.
Here's a link to a video of it in action.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
"Let's start it up, see if Mom approves of this!"

VROOM! VROOM!! VROOM!!!"

"Hahaha!!!"

Sounds great.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 PM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Keep your eye peeled for Rams horn manifolds that will work with your engine. Some buses and things like that had them. Make sure the bolt pattern is correct though, the Lincoln manifolds look similar but will not work with our 292s.
I wouldn't waste any money on old rusty ram-horn manifolds when you can buy new manufacture Rams horns!

HOME Y

And, yes, they are not cheap......But $350 is not all that bad considering what you're going to pay for anything new for anything newer. Headers might be slightly better but can be a LOT more money depending on what you buy, and the Rams horns will "look" MUCH better and look original.

That video sounded GREAT and the smile on that kids face made it all worth it!!

But I would still do the Rams Horns from Mummert.

Wat ever you do, be sure to take a video and post it here!!

Cheers,

Rick

Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 PM
charliemccraney
Posting Guru
charliemccraney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.charliemccraney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mummert rams horns are more like original inside the ports, which is good. The Speedway version has material protruding into the port because they made more room for a washer on the outside, I guess, so you cannot grind the protrusions away.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115 View Post
I wouldn't waste any money on old rusty ram-horn manifolds when you can buy new manufacture Rams horns!
Well I suppose I should have added "if the price is right." I agree it makes no sense otherwise.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 AM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
Well I suppose I should have added "if the price is right." I agree it makes no sense otherwise.
That of course make sense.....

Before the new ones were available, I used to see rusty old Rams for sale on eBay for ridiculous prices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.