Notices
Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble bleeding front drums

Old 04-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Johnkimble
Senior User
Johnkimble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trouble bleeding front drums

Installed a new booster and master today and began to bleed the brakes. (1975 F250 4x4 front and rear drums).

The rear drums bled fine, the front drums did not. I could not get one drop of brake fluid from either front drum. I removed and cleaned both bleeders, and they are fine and not clogged. I thought it could be the proportioning valve that needs to be bled, but I my truck has a differential valve that does not have a bleeder valve on it.

Here is a picture of what I'm working with...any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Johnkimble
Senior User
Tuesday morning bump

Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Did you bench bleed the master before you installed it?
If so there should not be a need to bleed the system.

I have never seen a bleeder on any proportioning valve on anything I have worked on.
Now I have seen proportioning valves that have a thing on one end that needs to be pushed in or pulled & held out when bleeding the system.
Any thing like that on the other end of your proportioning valve?
Dave ----

Old 04-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Johnkimble
Senior User
Hi Dave,

Yes I bench bled the master prior to installing.

The differential valve has no external bleeder. I think the center piston is blocking the front lines.

No idea when the brake fluid was changed on this truck so I'm wanting to bleed the old stuff out of the lines.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:12 AM
andym
Post Fiend
andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Did you bench bleed the master before you installed it?
If so there should not be a need to bleed the system.
This isn't accurate. Anytime you open any part of the brake system, it needs to be bled. You don't need to bleed the whole system if you just replace a caliper or wheel cylinder, for example, but that wheel needs to be bled. If you replace the master cylinder, bench bled or not, the entire system still needs to be bled.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 PM
RKDxpress
Senior User
RKDxpress is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your not getting fluid to the front besides plugged line or hose the proportion valve needs to be reset. It is meant to close off the front or back if there is a leak. Not able to describe the procedure hopefully you will figure it out.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Johnkimble
Senior User
Well I played with it more today. Still nothing out either front drum bleeder valve, but I did however get fluid out of the front brake lines themselves where they enter the front drums.

I cracked open the front lines at the drum, and fresh fluid flowed with ease.. But nothing out of the bleeder. Thoughts?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:18 AM
RKDxpress
Senior User
RKDxpress is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did someone step on the brakes as you watched fluid shoot out across the room. May have just been some still in the lines. If your sure your good up to there got to be the wheel cylinders.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:18 AM
andym
Post Fiend
andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Johnkimble View Post
Well I played with it more today. Still nothing out either front drum bleeder valve, but I did however get fluid out of the front brake lines themselves where they enter the front drums.

I cracked open the front lines at the drum, and fresh fluid flowed with ease.. But nothing out of the bleeder. Thoughts?
It's got to be something in the wheel cylinder then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.