Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

6.4L high oil temps after NEW oil cooler

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 PM
bummoose
New User
bummoose is starting off with a positive reputation.

About a year ago I bought a 2008 F450, new engine in 2009, enhanced short block like most of the '08s got, it needed a oil cooler. I had my ford mechanic do it along with deletes, H&S mini maxx tuner. Now, here's the issue, HIGH EOT vs ECT still reading on the mini maxx after new oil cooler. Coolant temps are stable around 190......200 tops towing my 42 foot 5th wheel, now here's where it gets interesting.------

Oil temps running down the road at say, 60 - 65 mph, they start out normal but climb to around 210-225 UNLOADED, witch is about 20 to 25 degrees difference ECT vs EOT..........also I am in Michigan, no crazy outside temps.....60 - 75 F......Pulling my 5th wheel I see temps as high as 255 F, which is 55 degree difference, never see a wrench light truck performs AWESOME! Even swapped out the mini maxx for a new one with Rudy's, same result. Have Shot the base of the oil filter housing with a laser temp gauge, it is within 5 degrees of what the mini maxx says, so if the maxx reads say 235 EOT the laser will show about 230 or so, which tells me the oil temp are running high. I also put a coolant filter on it, I wouldn't think the oil cooler plugged again, only around 2500 miles since new oil cooler and it had high EOT right after, now I will say that when you stop and let it idle the EOT drop back to normal quickly, which would tell me the oil cooler is functioning. Not like when it wasn't.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
The stock tube on a 450 nets 300hp total which is less than the hp of 250/350. What hp are you pushing that engine too.

try running stock tune then compare ect/eot

Old 04-06-2019, 10:56 AM
bummoose
New User
I always tow in stock mode. I also tried running in stock mode unloaded same results. 5" turbo back exhaust also. But it also has 4.88 gears. Runs a little high rpms, 1900 @ 62 mph.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 AM
bummoose
New User
Could someone out there suggests a shop to call or person to call that knows the 6.4 well. I'm a little frustrated I don't want to damage my engine and I'm running out of time I need to make a trip.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2019, 12:20 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Are you using 15w40 Dino or 5w40 synthetic, the later transfers heat better

also, get a hydrometer and check your coolant density. Too low on the water results in coolant that transferes heat less efficiently.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:37 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm checking in on coolant mix as well. Somethings not disapating heat?

Old 04-06-2019, 04:43 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Your oil side might be fine...if there is not enough water in coolant it won’t pull heat from metal as efficient. Something to check. Hydrometer.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:57 PM
bummoose
New User
Will do. Also another question now keep in mind this is a Ford mechanic that worked on my truck ........ is it okay to put green antifreeze in that 6.4? I questioned him on that and he said as long as you put the additive in it's okay. Right or wrong? I have no ECT temperature issues.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:17 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
Green has to be changed every two years orange is a 5 year plus coolant . Green is toxic to animals orange is not.

the additive being referred to is a bittering agent...

Old 04-06-2019, 10:41 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Thinkin Green and Orange make brown. Not sure if they would play well together.

Could be flush and fill time.

Denny (Could be your innards are swelling and that's the cooling problem) Thinking!!!!

Have you ever changed your stats???

Old 04-07-2019, 09:36 AM
bummoose
New User
Yes thermostats were changed with the oil cooler

Old 04-07-2019, 12:36 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Thinking either a faulty stat or a full flush and fill to eliminate the stat.

Denny (they are known to be DOA new)

Old 04-14-2019, 06:37 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Been pondering this............ But, If everything else that we talked about is gold. I would definitely look at replacing a few sensors with OEM.

I could list them, but, not knowing which one is the problem child. I would at least start at the bottom and move forward.

6.4 bible page has a great rundown of what could be your issue. That page is in the first read above. The 6.4 bible.

Denny

Old 04-23-2019, 08:54 PM
bummoose
New User
Okay, next week we will be doing a coolant change oil change over to synthetic checking the thermostats. Couple questions, first off going to synthetic what oil do you recommend.

Also was thinking about going with an external add-on external oil cooler but having a hard time finding one any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Old 04-23-2019, 09:48 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
I run T6 Rotella synth 5-40 . Super winter starts.

Waiting on results on your flush/stat change.

External cooler isn't the root of this problem. Wouldn't even breach my thoughts.

Seriously looking at the cooler itself. Could be oil filter, could be .........................

But, your doing it right. Changing fluids and doing the coolant service are needed anyway, and lets see what we see.

Only thing I can offer as advice. Do them at different times so you can narrow down which procedure aided you.

After each individual service, recreate your past. See if you nailed it.

Denny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: