6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bought truck they said was stock.. it was tuned so I removed the DPF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:04 PM
deeproot
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought truck they said was stock.. it was tuned so I removed the DPF

2013 F250 6.7

I bought this truck about 1 year ago and have never owned a diesel. I wanted a fully stock truck so I checked for the DPF torpedo and did all the other normal test drive stuff. After some time I noticed it was not consuming DEF and was not going into regen. After about 5k miles the truck started to smell bad (not a diesel smell but a weird smell like a burning chemical) and I did a more deep dive into the truck. I disconnected all emissions plug connectors and the truck did not complain about anything and was running fine. At this point I figured (with the help of this forum) I had a EGR and DPF deleted truck that has had the parts bolted back on that was traded in to the dealer. I was worried about the status of the DPF since I had no idea of the time it was on the truck without running regens so I deleted it myself. I did not want to pay a ton of money to put a new DPF system in place.

At this time the truck is perfect and works great. Pulls my camper like an animal!

The exhaust stinks very bad. I understand that its deleted and that is par for the course. But I wonder.... Since I do not know what tune this truck has... do some tunes stink more than others and if I buy a tuner can I tune the truck to stink less? The truck doesn't smoke or anything unless I punch it to the floor. Could this truck have a "HOT" tune that is rich on the diesel and if I run a stock tune can I calm it down some?

I have to drop kids off at school and I feel bad stinking them out in the car line.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:01 AM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...I don't know where to start...I think at this point you should locate the tuner that tuned your truck as I believe it's Vin locked.... somebody smarter than me will chime in on that. I thought I read you bought this from a dealer?

Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Turn on the Exhaust Filter screen and see what the DPF is doing. See if it going up or down or stays the same or shows nothing. You might have clogged DPF or even a DEF dosing problem. Are there any codes stored?

Old 04-05-2019, 08:07 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Turn on the Exhaust Filter screen and see what the DPF is doing. See if it going up or down or stays the same or shows nothing. You might have clogged DPF or even a DEF dosing problem. Are there any codes stored?
he doesn't have a DPF... removed it..

Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 AM
U9000
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
he doesn't have a DPF... removed it..
But the DPF screen will still be available and that may give him some info about what the ecm thinks it's doing.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:18 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm most interested in how you made it 5,000 miles with the DPF in place.

You likely need to start over. At this point, you don't have the stock tune to save (on devices that allow it). I know AutoAgent (via EZ LYNK) erases the ECM/TCM and uploads the modified firmware and I suspect other custom tuning devices do as well because that's how the truck modules are designed. Since it could have a hot tune, you need to know that. You don't want to hook up to 10,000+ lbs and pull a long grade with a hot tune for example. How much boost is produced at WOT?

I have a 0 HP increase tune. Mine smells far more "rich" than a non-stock PSD 6.4L or even a +100 HP tuned Duramax LBZ. So, it'll still stink up a traffic line. I too have wondered why the PSD 6.7L has such a noticeably stronger smell from other (but older) diesel engines.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
I'm most interested in how you made it 5,000 miles with the DPF in place.

You likely need to start over. At this point, you don't have the stock tune to save (on devices that allow it). I know AutoAgent (via EZ LYNK) erases the ECM/TCM and uploads the modified firmware and I suspect other custom tuning devices do as well because that's how the truck modules are designed. Since it could have a hot tune, you need to know that. You don't want to hook up to 10,000+ lbs and pull a long grade with a hot tune for example. How much boost is produced at WOT?

I have a 0 HP increase tune. Mine smells far more "rich" than a non-stock PSD 6.4L or even a +100 HP tuned Duramax LBZ. So, it'll still stink up a traffic line. I too have wondered why the PSD 6.7L has such a noticeably stronger smell from other (but older) diesel engines.
The unique smell is from pilot injection, the smell is slightly harsh when deleted.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like someone pulled a little sneaky on ya

What I would do is buy a tuner, go to the dealer and have them reflash your computer back to stock, then immediately after upload the tune of your choice so you know what you are working with.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd have the dealer pay for a re-flash to stock, then have your tune of choice ready to install. Touchy situation on the dealer selling a (half) deleted truck and not knowing it.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:54 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
not a good position to be in. You also don't know what the truck is doing as the safe parameters may have been removed. You need something to monitor the vitals and I would be contacting the dealer to get in touch with the previous owner for more information.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
The trucks a 2015 F350 6.7, how do you turn on that screen?? I don't know the last time I saw a regen, it flashes on and almost immediate goes off.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:28 PM
deeproot
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealer doesn't know the previous owner. They say they got the truck from a ford dealer in town and it was a trade in on a new truck. I have it hooked up to forscan and have run that through everything forscan can monitor/do. All the vitals look great. I was just curious if I can buy a programmer and put some stock type tune on the truck. I thought I have seen tunes like "no smoke, 0 HP tunes"

Old 04-06-2019, 06:09 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Tuners dont come with a factory tune. They will save YOUR factory tune, and upload their custom tune. In your case, you really have no clue what tune you have, since you are deleted and nothing to go on. I think you're probably going to have to pay for a factory re-flash that you'll never actually use. Because if you want to install any other delete tune, I dont believe you can just over-ride the unknown tune.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:42 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by UP_There
Tuners dont come with a factory tune. They will save YOUR factory tune, and upload their custom tune. In your case, you really have no clue what tune you have, since you are deleted and nothing to go on. I think you're probably going to have to pay for a factory re-flash that you'll never actually use. Because if you want to install any other delete tune, I dont believe you can just over-ride the unknown tune.
He must install SOME tune, as his sensors are gone or non-functional

Old 04-06-2019, 02:26 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by sdetweil
He must install SOME tune, as his sensors are gone or non-functional
Actually nope. The truck will never be started until after the delete tune is installed, so he needs a factory tune as a baseline installed.

Quick Reply: Bought truck they said was stock.. it was tuned so I removed the DPF