Kingles OBS dream truck build

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:42 AM
kingle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kingles OBS dream truck build

Hey All.

Thanks for the advice and cautions on my OBS truck shopping experience. I've got the truck now and she's ready to be turned into our dream truck over the next month or so. Figured I'd just start a build thread and ask you all my questions/get your input about the upgrades here.

We got a 1997 F350 CCLB 4x4 with 5 speed manual transmission. Driving this thing has been a bit of a learning curve for me. I've never driven stick and I'm 5'1 so I have to really squirm to reach the clutch. But after three quick lessons with the boyfriend I'm getting around town on my own just fine. LOVE driving this thing, literally get an adrenaline rush from it. It's got a TS6 tuner and the power it puts out is just fine for our needs (for now). Also has a side dump MSRP exhaust and sounds mean.

First thing I did when we got it was source out and install a nice shiny OBS bumper to replace the rusty one that was on it. Took off the canopy and those stupid plates in the grille and invested in an angle grinder to trim the bumper so the 35" tires didn't rub as much.

Upcoming projects:

-DIY POR15 and bedliner on the rusty truck bed. Got the boyfriend on the angle grinder with a wire wheel and it's all stripped down and ready to be painted once this rain stops. Hopefully will get a chance to do that over the weekend.

-Radiator support has been ordered, I want to get that done before it's lifted. Will also do rad support bushings and body mount bushings while we're at it. Luckily our mechanic neighbour has done a few of them before and is happy to help us through it for super cheap.

-Heim joint mod for the clutch. Drop arm pin looks welded at the end so I figure it must be worn. The goal with that is so the clutch engages a bit higher so I'm not struggling every time I shift with my short little lady legs.

-7.5-8 in lift on 37s. Had a consult with the mechanic today regarding that. Going to do a 4.5in PMF RSK with 3in SD leafs up front and blocks in the back since it's already got air bags. Ordered the RSK today. Depending on the cost I may get dual shocks. We decided to have this done professionally because it's getting pretty custom and we don't have/can't afford the equipment at home to lift the truck that high. Also don't wanna be stuck waiting on parts to come in if we mess something up. Curious about whether 4:10 gearing would help run 37s more efficiently if anyone has input there.

-Shiny black paint job. Got lots of quotes and eventually found a guy who will do it professionally pretty cheap. Another thing I don't want to screw up so we're going to spend the money and get it done right.

That's all for the super near future, but eventually I want to do a lariat seat swap, as well as full frame restoration and coat the underside of the bed and frame/axles with POR15 and topcoat to keep things sturdy for years to come. We're gonna keep her for a long time. Never been this in love with a truck before - can't help but turn around and look at it every time I park.

Truck as purchased:

Without canopy:

New bumper and removed grille plates:

Rusty rad support and bushings:

Bed liner job before photo:

Old 04-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm here for the pictures.

Have fun!

Old 04-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts
Can't wait to see your progress. I love to work on my truck, too.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha! Good lookin' truck!

And yeah, it sounds like you've been bit by the OBS bug. Enjoy working on and learning the truck. They're definitely worth the effort to keep them in good shape.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:23 PM
kingle
Junior User
Anyone have recommendations for what type of jack I'll need to replace the body mount bushings and rad support bushings? Found a couple of hi-lift jacks on craigslist, would those work?

For the rad support replacement, will I just need my socket set and the pry tool? I've got some 4in exhaust pipe lying around from the time I drove over the cummins muffler and exhaust up a mountain logging road (it fell off and wrapped itself around the rear axle and I had to reverse over the muffler to get it off... Boyfriend was LIVID haha). Can just cut that pipe up to make the pry tool for the bushings.

Picking up the bushings and rad support in a few hours... Hoping NAPA's ordered the right rad support (it's from Keystone and I can only find gassers on their website). Will at least do the rad support bushings but hopefully we'll have time to do most of the other body mount ones as well. Will pick up some anti sieze paste as well when I'm there. Should I POR15 the rad support tonight so it's coated?

Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
If you don't have a hydraulic floor jack, I'd start with that. I know there are those who will shame me for saying so, but I use mine with some big blocks (cutoffs of 6x6 or 4x6) to lift things up higher than the jack will reach. I wouldn't be without one for working on these trucks.

It's been a while since I've done body mounts, so I don't recall exactly what tools you'll need, but I would think a long-handled socket or breaker bar would be a must (or a "cheater pipe" if you have 1/2" drive sockets with a good warranty. If not, buy a breaker bar - they're not too expensive and it'll come in handy.

Yes on POR15 and anti-seize paste.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:42 PM
kingle
Junior User
Okay. I'll see if I can find one of those on the cheap.. Would this work?? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...1061p.html#srp

Will have to get some lumber too, I've only got 2x4's lying around which probably won't cut it..

Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 662 Posts
IMO 2 ton is too small for this truck, get a three ton jack.

The engine alone weighs 1000+ lbs and the three ton jacks usually bigger, wider and extend higher.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM
kingle
Junior User
Okay, good call. Don't want it to fall down on us..

Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I would recommend something more along these lines:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/b...4599p.html#srp

I know it's more money, but believe me, it'll be worth it when you're working with an 8,000 pound truck,. Something similar to this is when I am working on my truck. I would ask around for somewhere that builds decks or pole buildings. I bet they would have some scraps laying around that they'd give you for free or cheap. In the past, I've used 2x stock as well, and I just nail them together to make bigger blocks. You could probably buy one 2x6 and cut it up, nail it together and make a couple nice blocks for this kind of thing. Err on the side of safety, and never work under the vehicle without supporting the weight on something more than the jack. There are a lot of $.10 o-rings in there to trust your life to it.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:26 PM
kingle
Junior User
Makes sense. It'll be super handy for tire swaps and brake jobs and stuff with my rav too. Probably worth investing in so we can get most of the easy jobs done ourselves.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:03 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 662 Posts
That red jack looks like the one I bought at TSC
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...on-garage-jack

Old 04-05-2019, 05:51 PM
kingle
Junior User
Well I guess the rad support's going to have to wait a week or two. NAPA said it would be here today but they messed up and it won't be coming in til Monday . Hopefully will tackle the bed liner job this weekend if it's dry enough. Got some rust converter and brillow pads to prep properly between coats.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 AM
kingle
Junior User
Since it's gonna be pouring rain here all day and I've got no rad support, we're just going to pull the box off and set it up in the garage to do the bed liner. Also gives me a chance to deal with the underside of the box as well as the frame of the truck. Might as well do it all properly. Got some (expensive) locktite rust converter which I'm going to do on everything today, then POR15 tomorrow and bedliner in the box. If there's enough, I'll also use the bedliner on the bottom of the box as well and then coat the frame with a matte topcoat spray.

Gonna be a busy weekend. Pics to come.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 PM
kingle
Junior User
Wasn't that an ambitious statement this morning haha.

My handy neighbour was a little too hungover to be much help til about 1pm. Spent an hour cleaning out enough space in the man cave (garage) to back the truck up in there, then 6 hours on and off wire wheeling and sanding. Just now got it all cleaned and degreased. Tonight I'll put a couple coats of POR15 on it over some PBRs and call it a day. Tomorrow I'll wrap it up with the DupliColour coats and see how I'm feeling. Might try and take the box off and attempt to coat the underside in POR15, but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Kingles OBS dream truck build