Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 f150 302 problems

Old 04-24-2019, 07:01 PM
NZCOBRA
Junior User
NZCOBRA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do you have dual tank switching ? , if so i just bit the bullet and bought a new one $$$ , i have no problem swapping over now , I replaced both my in tank pumps , I have a"Innovate MTX-L wide band in mine and although i don't get any issues , it is interesting to watch AFR when cruising , as i add more throttle it is a bit slow to add fuel , leaving it alone for now as MAP and TPS will change soon , also might add , that what ever you adjust fuel pressure to the cruise AFR seem to always stays the same 14.9- 15.1 . Cheers.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Fordfarmer79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by NZCOBRA View Post
Do you have dual tank switching ? , if so i just bit the bullet and bought a new one $$$ , i have no problem swapping over now , I replaced both my in tank pumps , I have a"Innovate MTX-L wide band in mine and although i don't get any issues , it is interesting to watch AFR when cruising , as i add more throttle it is a bit slow to add fuel , leaving it alone for now as MAP and TPS will change soon , also might add , that what ever you adjust fuel pressure to the cruise AFR seem to always stays the same 14.9- 15.1 . Cheers.
Yep, dual tanks. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for that? Maybe it's in the valve?...

Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM
NZCOBRA
Junior User
I mucked around with my valve , to try and get it to work properly , just too old ...... there are some new ones around about $220 or so i think and rock auto still have the little filter that goes inside , dirt cheap , a lot of diagrams in the Haynes manual . Cheers

Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
If you think the fuel switch valve is an issue you can bypass it.
Just make sure when you bypass it you also do the return, if it is has one, to the right tank.
Dave ----

Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 PM
NZCOBRA
Junior User
No 12v on the 86 dual tank valve , it switches over on pressure when switching from front to rear . So if you do it by bridging the electrical switch the valve should automatically switch to correct tank for return, if it's working correctly.?

Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Just an update, I had power down at the pump. I pulled the pump out and it looks like it was half eaten away from some thing. Replaced the pump, and it runs well now. Seems like there is a vacuum leak somewhere, so I'll track that down. All in all, it's a compete 180* from where we started. Thanks for the help. I'm going to say I was fighting a combo of things, bad tps, ecm, and I'm sure the fuel pump wasn't helping. Thanks again guys.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:12 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Problem seems to be solved guys. I appreciate it. If I had to do it over again, I'd unplug tps first, check fuel pressure and go from there. This truck had me really scratching my head. I truly believe that I was fighting a multitude of problems, and took more than one item to fix. Thanks again for the diagrams and the help.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Fordfarmer79 View Post
Problem seems to be solved guys.
Great to hear. 30+ year old trucks usually have multiple issues when they are first acquired.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.