Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 f150 302 problems

Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Fordfarmer79 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
Yes, the Hall-Effect device reacts to the turning of the vane in the Distributor, that signal is applied to the TFI module mounted to the Distributor and the TFI module sends the signal to the ECA/Computer.

Thank you, I will check those wires.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:23 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
If the computer does not receive signals from the dist to verify the engine is turning, it will not turn the fuel pump on.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
If the computer does not receive signals from the dist to verify the engine is turning, it will not turn the fuel pump on.
Well my pump was running like normal, so I'd say it was receiving signal. It would get 40 psi when it would finally run. Now, my fuel pump stays on constantly.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:23 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Fordfarmer79 View Post
Well my pump was running like normal, so I'd say it was receiving signal. It would get 40 psi when it would finally run. Now, my fuel pump stays on constantly.
Short of a wiring problem, (EDIT; or stuck FP Relay, Thanks Dave) see post # 57

Last edited by vjsimone; 04-22-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Adding text
Old 04-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Short of a wiring problem, see post # 57
Yes, I know it is a computer problem as I have eliminated all other variables. I was just stating to say that since it was working the fuel pump before, the wiring is good, now the computer is basically showing me that it is bad.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I am too lazy to go back through all the posts to see, but have you changed the fuel pump relay? They are known to stick when they get old.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:27 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
I am too lazy to go back through all the posts to see, but have you changed the fuel pump relay? They are known to stick when they get old.
Fuel pump relay is working. I installed the new computer, and it is still having the same symptoms. I'm thinking I'm gonna to pull the intake now. It now smells flooded out, and will not even fire without ether.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.vjsimone has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Fordfarmer79 View Post
it is still having the same symptoms.
define/update current symptoms ?

Old 04-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
define/update current symptoms ?
Still cranks, no start. Exhaust smell's rich. Will not fire off unless you give it ether, when the ether runs out, it will not fire anymore. It has been sitting for quite some time. All of the symptoms started after I pulled the distributor out to check on another vehicle. Since I reinstalled the dizzy, I verified that it was on tdc number one. Timed it with a timing light without spout, set at 12*. Spout in, it jumps to 14*. (When it did run earlier before these current symptoms). Now, it just cranks, no start. Has spark, will jump a 3/16" gap on my spark tester, has new ecm and dizzy computer. Ohmed out both injector harness going to computer, and they both read 1.9ohms when all injectors were hooked up. Wiring is good to and from injectors, will hold a load using a tail light bulb. Has good power and good ground verified by same tests. Has 40 psi at fuel rails. Doesn't matter if I mash the throttle to the floor and crank, or let it set at idle. Will check codes again and see what I get.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:31 PM
NZCOBRA
Junior User
NZCOBRA is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it's got compression , spark and fuel , can you just hold the throttle wide open to help clear it , after a few cranks if it doesn't fire get some ether , starting fluid , is your spark a good color , my efi 302 all sounded like it was misfiring and it had a nos new coil , I replaced that with a accel replacement coil , wow no more misfiring sounds like a V8 now . , it's giving you a hard time . Cheers

Old 04-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by NZCOBRA View Post
If it's got compression , spark and fuel , can you just hold the throttle wide open to help clear it , after a few cranks if it doesn't fire get some ether , starting fluid , is your spark a good color , my efi 302 all sounded like it was misfiring and it had a nos new coil , I replaced that with a accel replacement coil , wow no more misfiring sounds like a V8 now . , it's giving you a hard time . Cheers
Dang good blue spark. New coil, has a nice snap too.
I also rechecked the injectors with a noid light, and they are still not firing.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
I went to pull codes, and the test light lights up, and will not flash, or shut off unless I unhooked it, or turn off the key. Also, my pip is telling the computer the engine is spinning, so there should be no reason the injectors are not firing .. also there is another computer looking box under the dash next to the ecm. It has two plug ends going into it and another box attached to the outside. There is a grey three wire plug end that is also not connected to anything.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Finally got it to fire. I replaced the tps sensor, now it idles good, but has little to no fuel pressure. Replaced frame filter, and the pump on frame is running. Will check the tank filter now.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 PM
NZCOBRA
Junior User
NZCOBRA is starting off with a positive reputation.
After you sort your fuel pressure , and if you have running issues, MPG is bad , etc, i found with mine that my only tuning tool was fuel pressure ( BBK adjustable) and if it is too low it would hesitate and if it was too high tip in was good but it would use a lot more fuel , getting it just right will make a tank of gas last a lot longer , the bbk reg means you have to move the air cleaner over about one inch . Motec ecu in the cupboard..... next year with my new stroker. Cheers sounds like you've had progress.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Fordfarmer79
Freshman User
Originally Posted by NZCOBRA View Post
After you sort your fuel pressure , and if you have running issues, MPG is bad , etc, i found with mine that my only tuning tool was fuel pressure ( BBK adjustable) and if it is too low it would hesitate and if it was too high tip in was good but it would use a lot more fuel , getting it just right will make a tank of gas last a lot longer , the bbk reg means you have to move the air cleaner over about one inch . Motec ecu in the cupboard..... next year with my new stroker. Cheers sounds like you've had progress.
Thank you, and yes, a big leap forward. Finally I reread everything and decided just unplug it to try. I have tried unplugging it with old computer, with no difference, but this made it at least start and idle. New tps and it will rev up until the fuel runs out of psi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.