Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New '18 Ingot Silver SCrew 5.0 - traded '13

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:26 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Jafo56
Nice truck...congrats...I just installed husky wheel well liners today....very nice...I recommend them...
Thanks! Appreciate the recommendation on the liners. Got yourself a nice rig there too, like the accent color on the bottom. Is that magnetic on the lower section?

Originally Posted by biz4two
Congrats on the 2018!! I recommend the husky wheel liners. Easy to install (as long as the weather is warm)...and they really do cover the rear!! I installed mine when I purchased my 2017 new...and they still look brand new.
biz
Thanks! Looks like another vote on the husky liners

Originally Posted by onug
Beautiful truck, congratulations on the new toy. I’m surprised there are still 2018’s on the lots, especially silver XLTs. I’d have guessed only the less popular colors and trim levels would be remaining (if any).
Thanks! I was surprised too that there were 2018's. They actually have about a dozen left on the lot. The dealer discount tied with Ford rebates is crazy right now too.

Originally Posted by JKBrad
You'll really come to like that 3012a pkg. Add Katzkins leather and it's almost a Lariat.
Liking it so far! Can't believe how quickly the heated seats warm up with the cloth. The remote start is nice to and have been using it already. Might checkout Katzkins down the road but out of the budget for now.

Originally Posted by smokewagun
Congratulations on the new ride. Just watch your oil consumption. There is a TSB for select 2018 5.0L trucks. It looks like I’m heading towards a replacement long block soon.
Thanks! Appreciate the heads up - I looked up and saved a copy of that TSB for my records. Will be keeping an eye on the levels.

Originally Posted by tseekins
She's perty Rob! BTW, shouldn't you still have snow on the ground?

I mowed my lawn yesterday for the first time this year and it smells great. Nothing like a new truck, spring is here, it's warming up finally.
Thanks Tim! Just the other week we did get a dusting at higher elevations. Hoping it's over, put the snowblower away and got the motorcycle out and ready for sale this weekend. Time to hang up the riding helmet for a while, too many close calls last year from people texting and driving. Once the bike it sold, will be calling up Peragon and seeing about a cover. Are you still happy with yours? Did you get any of the "extras" ( Tailgate seal, dual deadbolts, etc...)?

Originally Posted by jthorngate3
Congratulations! That particular grille has grown on me a lot. There's something about the trim above and below the two big bars that really catches my eye. I test drove a silver truck and liked the look over the white I ended up with, but it was just missing too many things I was looking for. What about the 10 speed will take getting used to? If the shifting feels odd as opposed to just more of them, have the dealer do the updated flash on it. Made a big difference for mine.
Thanks! The grill and chrome are growing on me. I would have loved the sport appearance package but just wasn't in the cards as they didn't have any leftovers. As far as the 10 - speed, just need to get used to more shifts. I did ask the dealer if they could throw the latest PCM flash before delivery (which they said they did). Anyone know if there is a way to check PCM version from Forscan tool?

Originally Posted by GABAR
Congrats on your new F150.
I hope it gives you many trouble free years and miles.
As far as the rear wheel well liners go, I’d stick with the OEM Ford liners because the Husky’s can be hit or miss on the fitment and there are many postings about this.
Thanks! Good to know on the Ford vs. Husky. I'll need to research more Do the ford ones have the same coverage?

Originally Posted by stufarmer
Looks familiar .. You're going to like silver, it's a forgiving color ..
Nice looking truck you got there! Looking forward to a more forgiving color - had too many black vehicles.

Originally Posted by TJReams
Very nice looking truck!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Wiggums
I had an ingot silver 2016 F-150, it's the best truck I've owned. I am now a deeply regretful 2019 Chevrolet Silverado owner right now and am hoping Ford welcomes me back with wide open arms when I return.
Hey, you can't know until you try right? Hopefully if you decide to make the switch back it's not too hard on your wallet. I'm sure the Forum will welcome you back with open arms - good group here.

Originally Posted by IndyDog
Love the silver, nice job!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
Congratulations! Silver is a beautiful color.
Thank you!

General updates:

FORscan adapter came in Friday and made the programming updates below:
  • Bambi mode (Low beams, High beams and fog lights on at same time)
  • Global windows open/close from key fob (press then hold lock rolls windows up, unlock then hold rolls down. Works for drivers and passenger, not rear)
  • Disable door ajar warning while in park
  • IPC quick boot (Disables "Ford" animation at startup)
  • Disable "doo-doo-doo" Start up chimes
  • Re-enable autolock control in menu (some 2018s shipped with this missing)
Still would like to fully disable auto start/stop - not sure how I feel disabling the BMS, I know there has been lots of debate on the subject. Looking into auto stop eliminator: https://www.autostopeliminator.com/s...f150-2015.html Anyone used this? Seems a bit spendy but may be worth it. I always forget to press the button....

Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you feel up for it, you can just jump the wires on the switch and it will always be activated as off.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jthorngate3
If you feel up for it, you can just jump the wires on the switch and it will always be activated as off.
Was hesitant to open up the dash on brand new truck (fear of rattles) - might do that if it comes down to it. I guess there is also a connection on module near brake pedal that achieves the same thing, but you lose trailer lights. I don't currenly own a trailer so might give this method a shot before getting into the jumper mod:

Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like my truck. You will really enjoy it!

Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
You'll really come to like that 3012a pkg.
302A is an awesome package, and around here it's often discounted a lot more than Lariat so the out-the-door price is even better.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:14 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Thanks! Appreciate the recommendation on the liners. Got yourself a nice rig there too, like the accent color on the bottom. Is that magnetic on the lower section?

Thanks! Looks like another vote on the husky liners

Thanks! I was surprised too that there were 2018's. They actually have about a dozen left on the lot. The dealer discount tied with Ford rebates is crazy right now too.

Liking it so far! Can't believe how quickly the heated seats warm up with the cloth. The remote start is nice to and have been using it already. Might checkout Katzkins down the road but out of the budget for now.

Thanks! Appreciate the heads up - I looked up and saved a copy of that TSB for my records. Will be keeping an eye on the levels.

Thanks Tim! Just the other week we did get a dusting at higher elevations. Hoping it's over, put the snowblower away and got the motorcycle out and ready for sale this weekend. Time to hang up the riding helmet for a while, too many close calls last year from people texting and driving. Once the bike it sold, will be calling up Peragon and seeing about a cover. Are you still happy with yours? Did you get any of the "extras" ( Tailgate seal, dual deadbolts, etc...)?

Thanks! The grill and chrome are growing on me. I would have loved the sport appearance package but just wasn't in the cards as they didn't have any leftovers. As far as the 10 - speed, just need to get used to more shifts. I did ask the dealer if they could throw the latest PCM flash before delivery (which they said they did). Anyone know if there is a way to check PCM version from Forscan tool?

Thanks! Good to know on the Ford vs. Husky. I'll need to research more Do the ford ones have the same coverage?

Nice looking truck you got there! Looking forward to a more forgiving color - had too many black vehicles.

Thank you!

Hey, you can't know until you try right? Hopefully if you decide to make the switch back it's not too hard on your wallet. I'm sure the Forum will welcome you back with open arms - good group here.

Thanks!

Thank you!

General updates:

FORscan adapter came in Friday and made the programming updates below:
  • Bambi mode (Low beams, High beams and fog lights on at same time)
  • Global windows open/close from key fob (press then hold lock rolls windows up, unlock then hold rolls down. Works for drivers and passenger, not rear)
  • Disable door ajar warning while in park
  • IPC quick boot (Disables "Ford" animation at startup)
  • Disable "doo-doo-doo" Start up chimes
  • Re-enable autolock control in menu (some 2018s shipped with this missing)
Still would like to fully disable auto start/stop - not sure how I feel disabling the BMS, I know there has been lots of debate on the subject. Looking into auto stop eliminator: https://www.autostopeliminator.com/s...f150-2015.html Anyone used this? Seems a bit spendy but may be worth it. I always forget to press the button....
The Husky‘s do offer more coverage than the OEM Ford liners.
Also, if you want to change your shocks, the Husky liners will have to be removed or modified prior to installation because they cover the bolt for shock removal.
This is not the case with the OEM Ford liners.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Few small updates:
  • Husky Xact floor mats are in and look great. Very happy with fit/finish. Didn't really want to spend the money on these now but the carpet ones were driving me crazy.
  • Did the DIY rear-seat access mod. Only had orange paracord laying around so that's what I used. Very easy mod and now have jumper cables, a tarp and emergency blanket located in an otherwise unutilized space.
  • Ordered / installed 27" antenna to clear my 7' garage opening. No idea why they needed 32" factory one. Reception seems great.
  • Did a couple additional FORScan updates:
    • Increased the lane change flashed from 3 to 5.
    • Removed Sirius form radio list (reception is horrible in my area, no desire to listen even during the demo period)
    • Changed panic button to fob to require 2 presses
  • Disconnected the last connection on the trailer light control module under the dash to inhibit start/stop. Decided not to mess with the BMS and leave that alone. It did set some DTCs in FORScan but nothing set a CEL. Easily reversible by plugging the connection back in.
Few pics:

Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
1000 Mile update

Quick check-in after 1000 miles:
  • Truck feels light years ahead of my outgoing '13 STX. Really though I wouldn't use many of the features of the 302A pkg but I am finding myself spoiled with features like remote start and heated seats.
  • VERY happy with Ingot silver. All previous vehicles have been black or some dark color. This silver is extremely forgiving. Don't think I will go back to a dark vehicle as I don't have the time to keep it clean. Still getting used to the chrome - was pretty much an "anti-chromer" though it's growing on me and compliments the silver nicely. I do need to get used to the 20" wheels though - seems manufacturers keep pushing bigger rims and killing the ride quality. I always like more sidewall for a better ride. It did improve a bit once I figured out the tires were over-filled and aired down to 35psi.
  • Overall fit and finish of truck is excellent - cabin is quiet however there is a rattle somewhere on the passenger side that I haven't had time to track down. If it bugs me enough or if I can't find it will bring it in.
  • Sync 3 works great, love the UI and this is coming from someone who designs UIs for a living. Nice and simple, the way it should be.
  • Android Auto is excellent. I find myself leaving the route up even for known destinations to watch for accidents and speed traps. Integration with the Android Assistant is seamless and works perfect.
  • The new 5.0 feels much quicker than my outgoing 5.0. I made sure to vary RPMs and did plenty of 3/4 throttle pulls to 4500 - 5k RPMs during the first 1000 mi. Now with the break-in period complete, I've done a few pulls to redline and all I can say is WOW. For a truck that weighs 5300 lbs this moves out quick.
  • Haven't had any issues with irregular transmission behavior. This was a late build '18 (10/18 build) plus I requested the PCM be updated prior to pickup. Not sure if they actually did it but all is working well. I do need to get used to 3 overdrive gears, more shifting than used to
  • I've noticed that this engine is much louder the last, research shows the direct injection system including DI pump are known for this. The transmission also makes some weird "whirring" sounds that seem to be common for the 10R80
  • Concerns:
    • Engine is making the VCT solenoid "rattle" after cold start - off throttle that almost every other '18 5.0 (and some 3.5s) are making. This was supposed to be resolved under TSB 18-2354, though people who have had this PCM update completed are saying they still have the problem. It hasn't bugged me much yet, however we'll see if that changes with windows-down driving season upon us.
    • Oil consumption - Factory fill was ~7/8 on dipstick in crosshatch area. Looks like I'm not a bit below 1/2 on crosshatch. I expected some oil use during break-in however will monitor for consumption going forward. I also plan to do a UOI of the factory fill and subsequent changes to document levels.
    • I went through engine replacement on my '13 5.0 due to the cylinder distortion issue and am really hoping that lightening won't strike twice. On that truck, I waited until about 45,000 miles to have the work completed and had a full documentation of the knocking sound and could reproduce it for the tech. I also wanted to wait as long as possible for Ford to give me a new long-block - hey, if they're going to replace it anyways, might as well get as much mileage out of the old engine before getting a new one. If oil consumption becomes a problem - I'll get it documented around 30k miles.
    • Until then I plan to put the hammer down any chance I get! This 5.0 sings
Think that's it for now - thanks folks

Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Quick check-in after 1000 miles:
  • Truck feels light years ahead of my outgoing '13 STX. Really though I wouldn't use many of the features of the 302A pkg but I am finding myself spoiled with features like remote start and heated seats.
  • VERY happy with Ingot silver. All previous vehicles have been black or dark. This is extremely forgiving. Don't think I will go back to a dark vehicle as I don't have the time to keep it clean. I do need to get used to the chrome - was pretty much an "anti-chromer" though it's growing on me and compliments the silver nicely. I do need to get used to the 20" wheels though. I always like more sidewall for a better ride. It's not bad and once I figured out the tires were over-filled and aired down to 35psi.
  • Overall fit and finish of truck is excellent - cabin is quiet however there is a rattle somewhere on the passenger side that I haven't had time to track down. If it bugs me enough or if I can't find it will bring it in.
  • Sync 3 works great, love the UI and this is coming from someone who designs UIs for a living. Nice and simple, the way it should be.
  • Android Auto is excellent. I find myself leaving the route up even for known destinations to watch for accidents and speed traps. Integration with the Android Assistant is seamless and works perfect.
  • The new 5.0 feels much quicker than my outgoing 5.0. I made sure to vary RPMs and did plenty of 3/4 throttle pulls to 4500 - 5k RPMs during the first 1000 mi. Now with the break-in period complete, I've done a few pulls to redline and all I can say is WOW. For a truck that weighs 5300 lbs this moves out quick.
  • Haven't had any issues with irregular transmission behavior. This was a late build '18 (10/18 build) plus I requested the PCM be updated prior to pickup. Not sure if they actually did it but all is working well. I do need to get used to 3 overdrive gears, more shifting than used to
  • I've noticed that this engine is much louder the last, research shows the direct injection system including DI pump are known for this. The transmission also makes some weird "whirring" sounds that seem to be common for the 10R80
  • Concerns:
    • Engine is making the VCT solenoid "rattle" after cold start - off throttle that almost every other '18 5.0 (and some 3.5s) are making. This was supposed to be resolved under TSB 18-2354, though people who have had this PCM update completed are saying they still have the problem. It hasn't bugged me much yet, however we'll see if that changes with windows-down driving season upon us.
    • Oil consumption - Factory fill was ~7/8 on dipstick in crosshatch area. Looks like I'm not a bit below 1/2 on crosshatch. I expected some oil use during break-in however will monitor for consumption going forward. I also plan to do a UOI of the factory fill and subsequent changes to document levels.
    • I went through engine replacement on my '13 5.0 due to the cylinder distortion issue and am really hoping that lightening won't strike twice. On that truck, I waited until about 45,000 miles to have the work completed and had a full documentation of the knocking sound and could reproduce it for the tech. I also wanted to wait as long as possible for Ford to give me a new long-block - hey, if they're going to replace it anyways, might as well get as much mileage out of the old engine before getting a new one. If oil consumption becomes a problem - I'll get it documented around 30k miles.
    • Until then I plan to put the hammer down any chance I get! This 5.0 sings
Think that's it for now - thanks folks
Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your new F150 and most things are working well for you.
Thanks for the update.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Overall fit and finish of truck is excellent - cabin is quiet however there is a rattle somewhere on the passenger side that I haven't had time to track down. If it bugs me enough or if I can't find it will bring it in.
I have had one or two "rattles", but they have all been due to someone dropping something into one of the various bins in the doors or center console. Be sure to check them before you think you might have a rattle.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I too made the same move to an 18 from a 13 and the 5.0 change. I've had it 18 months already since it was ordered in late July 2017. I too am very pleased with the exception of what appears to be the oil consumption problem. It never used any until this last OC filter change and it was more than a qt low after 1400 miles. I started the Ford TSB today so we shall see..

The rear seal fold down was my first addition, then tonneau, defeated the auto start with a jumper. then stainless cat back duals out the back.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:47 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised to see there ARE still 2018's out there. Dealer where I bought my truck (used) still has a ruby red '18 3.5 EB Lariat ($54K) and a ruby red '18 diesel Lariat ($53K). Both Supercrew/5.5 box. Both $10K off MSRP as they sit. Last stragglers, I guess.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by GABAR
Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your new F150 and most things are working well for you.
Thanks for the update.
Thanks, yes very happy overall

Originally Posted by GlueGuy
I have had one or two "rattles", but they have all been due to someone dropping something into one of the various bins in the doors or center console. Be sure to check them before you think you might have a rattle.
Yesterday after work I double and triple checked all the compartments / bins and didn't find anything that could cause this. I then ran my hand along the weatherstrip for the passenger door and found a few places where it could be pushed back a bit towards the truck. This morning, I did not hear the rattle/squeak on the ride to work. Maybe coincidence? Not sure

Originally Posted by jimmy-six
I too made the same move to an 18 from a 13 and the 5.0 change. I've had it 18 months already since it was ordered in late July 2017. I too am very pleased with the exception of what appears to be the oil consumption problem. It never used any until this last OC filter change and it was more than a qt low after 1400 miles. I started the Ford TSB today so we shall see..

The rear seal fold down was my first addition, then tonneau, defeated the auto start with a jumper. then stainless cat back duals out the back.
More than a quart low in 1400 certianly falls under the unacceptable range of 1qt per 3000mi (which I still think is high...). Hopefully you have a reasonable dealer to work with and best of luck with this. Be sure to push for a like-for-like loaner while they have your truck. When I had my '13s engine replaced, they originally had put me in a ford taurus but I needed to do truck stuff so they ended up giving me a f-150 lariat loaner.

I checked the manual last night and it says oil consumption should stabilize after the first 3000mi so I have some additional miles to put on it before I'll be concerned.

Like being able to fold down rear seat, especially since it can be a free mod with a key ring and some paracord

Originally Posted by ghunt
I'm surprised to see there ARE still 2018's out there. Dealer where I bought my truck (used) still has a ruby red '18 3.5 EB Lariat ($54K) and a ruby red '18 diesel Lariat ($53K). Both Supercrew/5.5 box. Both $10K off MSRP as they sit. Last stragglers, I guess.
The dealer I got mine from still has a few '18 in Scabs and 1 Screw in XLT 302A configuration. The SCrew is marked to $15,000 off MSRP. Someone is going to get a smoking deal.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Small Update - Wheel Well Liners

Small update, had been tracking the price of OEM Ford liners and dipped below $120 on ebay so I grabbed a set. Took me longer to clean the underside of the wheel wells than to install.

I think they finish the space nicely and will make winter cleanup easier.

Before

After

Old 05-14-2019, 01:29 PM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the same truck, like the look

Quick Reply: New '18 Ingot Silver SCrew 5.0 - traded '13