Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Advice on a new purchase of a high mileage 2015 5.0 f150

Old 03-28-2019, 07:38 PM
Jeffrey Plum
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on a new purchase of a high mileage 2015 5.0 f150

Good evening everyone I'm hoping to get a little bit of insight.

I am looking at getting a 2015 Ford F150 Lariat fully loaded with the tech package and panoramic roof. It also has the Tuscany BlackOps package on it as well as an aftermarket front and rear bumper with winch. It is missing the tonneau cover and the original sport dual exhaust and has a new Straight side exit exhaust coming out the rear. The interior and exterior are about a 7 out of 10. The main things it needs are a new tailgate ( there's a small in size hole that looks like it came from a trailer hitch, and is missing the step trim) it also needs the rear power window to be put back on track. It's there just has pop off track.

The truck is high mileage. It's sitting at a 150k. The Carfax does have all of the servers records and it looks like it's been fairly well taken care of. The plugs or just replaced at a120k miles too.

They are asking 24,000 for the truck out the door. I'm located in Virginia. I don't care a whole lot about the BlackOps package however I do like that it has a lift already installed.

I haven't been able to find another fully loaded Lariat for under $30,000 and newer than a 2015 Within a few hour drive.

What are the thoughts on the longevity of the motor and transmission. If I could get him down closer to 20 will this be worth it? Or is 23 to 24000 a fair price. Feel free just shoot me any 2015 or up loaded Lariat you may see for around $20,000

Thank you all in advance hey

Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 PM
JKBrad
Received 799 Likes on 585 Posts
You're putting too much value on the lift and ignoring the other issues. The truck needs things, expensive things. The entire rear window will likely need replaced. The Tusacany package is not highly regarded here, it's conversion grade and over priced. Tuscany usually uses a budget lift kit as well.

If you're willing to buy a truck with those miles, look for a one owner unmodified truck. A quality lift, with wheels and tires will run about $5k installed. As far as the winch, would you ever use it? And look how the owner just wrapped the cable in a wadded mess around the push bar.

I bet this truck has a lot of other gremlins that will pop up and the current owner wants out. That's just my opinion though, based on your post and the pictures posted.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:49 PM
Jeffrey Plum
New User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
You're putting too much value on the lift and ignoring the other issues. The truck needs things, expensive things. The entire rear window will likely need replaced. The Tusacany package is not highly regarded here, it's conversion grade and over priced. Tuscany usually uses a budget lift kit as well.

If you're willing to buy a truck with those miles, look for a one owner unmodified truck. A quality lift, with wheels and tires will run about $5k installed. As far as the winch, would you ever use it? And look how the owner just wrapped the cable in a wadded mess around the push bar.

I bet this truck has a lot of other gremlins that will pop up and the current owner wants out. That's just my opinion though, based on your post and the pictures posted.
Thanks for the input. This is a one owner truck with full service records from Ford dealer.

I was under the impression the Tuscany kits used a bds lift. Maybe I was told wrong.

As far as the window goes it's just the little Center window came off track. It's an easy fix just will take some time out of my day to do it I was hoping to use that as a negotiating point.

As far as the Tuscany a kit goes I'm not willing to pay any extra for that and that's not being reflected in the price I don't believe.

As far as the winch cable goes the dealer is not very smart and has no idea how to use the winch controller. I have a Jeep and do a lot of trail riding to camp sites the wench could possibly get used; it's more of a piece of mind kind of thing. I've use the one on my Jeep about 10 times in the last 5 years.

The real issue I'm running into is as far as a Lariat goes I haven't seen one that's actually fully loaded truck under 30 no matter what the miles are. Don't get me wrong I'd love to find a clean lower mile Lariat with the same options unmodified for around 25 and slowly add five grand worth of lifted tires. If you see one please shoot it my way I'd be incredibly interested.

How do these 5.0s handle the miles and how's the 2015 transmissions hold up?

Old 03-28-2019, 09:11 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 PM
JKBrad
This isn't too much more expensive. MUCH lower miles. EcoBoost though. They're out there if you look.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...848048516.html

XLT 302a, lifted. 2.7 EB

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...847935300.html

The 5.0s up through 2017 have been very good engines. The 6 speed auto is a very solid unit.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Jeffrey Plum
New User
Nice finds. Firm on staying under 25k.. This is a 5th vehicle for the house so not needing a primary vehicle type payment lol.

I guess I should have mentioned in in VA so those are a bit far for me. I know location has a huge effect on pricing too...
I'm also only looking for a V8 5.0 or 6.2.

Best find I found in the va/pa/md/NC area othe than this one was a 15 king ranch 5.0 with 120k for 28900. It sold in less than 1 day.

I'm gonna give this a test drive, can't hurt, and maybe try to get them lower on the price...

Any recommendations on what to pay attention for on these?

Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
6.2 means 2011-2014. But you have very specific wants for a used truck, so if you find the wants, you likely will just have to pay a little more because the truck just doesn't come up often in your area. I deal with this all the time, and always have to settle for something when going used. Good luck on the test drive.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 AM
Jeffrey Plum
New User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
6.2 means 2011-2014. But you have very specific wants for a used truck, so if you find the wants, you likely will just have to pay a little more because the truck just doesn't come up often in your area. I deal with this all the time, and always have to settle for something when going used. Good luck on the test drive.
Yeah, this is my 37th.. Or something... Vehicle... I normally have a bit better luck but I think in my "older" age I don't want to drive all over the US to get the crazy good deals anymore lol.

Thanks for the good luck, we'll see. I am hopping it will be a clear "this thing was rode hard and put away wet" or "man someone babies this girl"

We'll see

Old 03-29-2019, 06:20 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Plum
Good evening everyone I'm hoping to get a little bit of insight.

I am looking at getting a 2015 Ford F150 Lariat fully loaded with the tech package and panoramic roof. It also has the Tuscany BlackOps package on it as well as an aftermarket front and rear bumper with winch. It is missing the tonneau cover and the original sport dual exhaust and has a new Straight side exit exhaust coming out the rear. The interior and exterior are about a 7 out of 10. The main things it needs are a new tailgate ( there's a small in size hole that looks like it came from a trailer hitch, and is missing the step trim) it also needs the rear power window to be put back on track. It's there just has pop off track.

The truck is high mileage. It's sitting at a 150k. The Carfax does have all of the servers records and it looks like it's been fairly well taken care of. The plugs or just replaced at a120k miles too.

They are asking 24,000 for the truck out the door. I'm located in Virginia. I don't care a whole lot about the BlackOps package however I do like that it has a lift already installed.

I haven't been able to find another fully loaded Lariat for under $30,000 and newer than a 2015 Within a few hour drive.

What are the thoughts on the longevity of the motor and transmission. If I could get him down closer to 20 will this be worth it? Or is 23 to 24000 a fair price. Feel free just shoot me any 2015 or up loaded Lariat you may see for around $20,000

Thank you all in advance hey

You should do a search on the real value of the truck in stock trim and without all of the mods.
If I were you, I’d keep looking for another vehicle but if you decide not to, at the very least you should pay to have this F150 inspected by an outside source/tech and if it passes said inspection, ask the dealer if they will deduct the cost from the price.

With that being said, how do you know that the window is just off the track.🤔
How do you know the panoramic moon roof is in working order?
Sounds like you’re set on a loaded Lariat but the price and year range you want are really not feasible.
Caveat Emptor.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 AM
Jeffrey Plum
New User
Originally Posted by GABAR
You should do a search on the real value of the truck in stock trim and without all of the mods.
If I were you, I’d keep looking for another vehicle but if you decide not to, at the very least you should pay to have this F150 inspected by an outside source/tech and if it passes said inspection, ask the dealer if they will deduct the cost from the price.

With that being said, how do you know that the window is just off the track.🤔
How do you know the panoramic moon roof is in working order?
Sounds like you’re set on a loaded Lariat but the price and year range you want are really not feasible.
Caveat Emptor.

Good thinking; I hadn't looked at the "base" model pricing too much.

Looking on carguru/autotrader for a v8 crew cab 4x4 with 124k+ miles it looks like within 200 miles of 22408 there is:
XL 161k miles for 19,000
XLT low options 134K mile and 22,500
Lariat/fx4 126K miles 28,900--------Contacted
XLT low option 134k miles 22,500
XL work truck 147k miles 20,950 + Tax & Title
Lariat loaded less the panoramic roof 123k miles 26,990-------- Contacted
.....and....
This Lariat/Tuscany with 150k for 23,400 (the dealer came back as the firm out the door price)

It looks like if I travel out 350+ miles the prices do drop down a little but I have to ad in the cost and headache of transporting :/
As for the window being off the track; I will deff be making sure prior to buying it as i will with the panoramic moon roof.
Visual inspection shows the under side of the truck is clean and no mud hiding in little areas and looks to have new or newer upper and lower ball joints too. didn't see any signs of leaking.
It has a fresh VA safety inspection, but I did let the dealer know that I wanted to swing it by ford to do an inspection (a little cash well spent in the past).
I'll request they bite that cost and see what they say.

Don't get me wrong for the firm asking price of the truck, if i were to buy it, all the interior/options will have to be in working order and as clean as it looked form outside the truck and the truck will need to run and drive perfect. Of course if the inspection doesnt go well or the dealer decides to not want it done that is a no go too.

I did reach out on the Lariat/fx4 126K miles @ 28,900 and the Lariat loaded less the panoramic roof 123k miles 26,990 to see what there bottom dollar is being that they are 145 miles and 199 mile away respectively. I'll have to see how firm they are on it before a drive that far.

Again, All good input and i appreciate it all very much ..

Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Plum
Good thinking; I hadn't looked at the "base" model pricing too much.

Looking on carguru/autotrader for a v8 crew cab 4x4 with 124k+ miles it looks like within 200 miles of 22408 there is:
XL 161k miles for 19,000
XLT low options 134K mile and 22,500
Lariat/fx4 126K miles 28,900--------Contacted
XLT low option 134k miles 22,500
XL work truck 147k miles 20,950 + Tax & Title
Lariat loaded less the panoramic roof 123k miles 26,990-------- Contacted
.....and....
This Lariat/Tuscany with 150k for 23,400 (the dealer came back as the firm out the door price)

It looks like if I travel out 350+ miles the prices do drop down a little but I have to ad in the cost and headache of transporting :/
As for the window being off the track; I will deff be making sure prior to buying it as i will with the panoramic moon roof.
Visual inspection shows the under side of the truck is clean and no mud hiding in little areas and looks to have new or newer upper and lower ball joints too. didn't see any signs of leaking.
It has a fresh VA safety inspection, but I did let the dealer know that I wanted to swing it by ford to do an inspection (a little cash well spent in the past).
I'll request they bite that cost and see what they say.

Don't get me wrong for the firm asking price of the truck, if i were to buy it, all the interior/options will have to be in working order and as clean as it looked form outside the truck and the truck will need to run and drive perfect. Of course if the inspection doesnt go well or the dealer decides to not want it done that is a no go too.

I did reach out on the Lariat/fx4 126K miles @ 28,900 and the Lariat loaded less the panoramic roof 123k miles 26,990 to see what there bottom dollar is being that they are 145 miles and 199 mile away respectively. I'll have to see how firm they are on it before a drive that far.

Again, All good input and i appreciate it all very much ..
One more thing and I’m not sure if this matters to you or not but the 2015 F150’s do not have SYNC 3 so if you want to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, you’re out of luck.

The 2015 F150’s use My Ford Touch and yes, they can be upgraded to use SYNC 3 and everything it offers but this conversion will set you back between $1200.00 & $2000.00 depending on where the parts are purchased from.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Jeffrey Plum
New User
Originally Posted by GABAR
One more thing and I’m not sure if this matters to you or not but the 2015 F150’s do not have SYNC 3 so if you want to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, you’re out of luck.

The 2015 F150’s use My Ford Touch and yes, they can be upgraded to use SYNC 3 and everything it offers but this conversion will set you back between $1200.00 & $2000.00 depending on where the parts are purchased from.
Man, Thank you for that. I had no idea... That may end up being one of the things I have to do without at the moment ... but great to know if this one doesn't work out i'll put a little more weight on a 16.

Thanks again.. great info...

Old 04-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Jeffrey Plum
New User

So, if anyone's still following lol... Finally got a test drive in and got to give it a good once over. Dealer ordered and had programmed 2 new Ford keys. Engine bay and under belly of the truck are very clean and look to be well kept, ball joints and tie rods look new' er. Truck ran and drove very well, with no pulling in any direction. Acceleration was smooth as was down shifting.

Now for the bad...
The interior needs a good detailing. The dealer deffintly didn't do that. The driver door is missing the chrome ring around the speaker grill and the triangle trim peice at the side view mirror. The back side window top track has came un glued from the window and the electronic steering wheel up/down took a few seconds to work.

The tire sensor was showing a error (may have been low tire) and rear parking sensor error was showing.

The one absolute show stopper was at the end of the test drive. I went to test out the panaramic roof and once the shade was open I saw the huge crack through the front glass panel.

Dealer genuinely look supprised and with out a word said 'well that will have to be fixed before we sell it".

Once it's replaced I'll make a decision on what to do. The price has dropped to what I feel is probably acceptable with the miles, and with some cleaning and 2 ceap trim pieces and a tailgate she should be in clean condition.

Well see

Old 04-02-2019, 12:51 AM
JKBrad
Well, that’s too bad. Maybe it was abused off road and they did a lot of clean up. I see the passenger side running board is bent upward.

The cracked sunfoof and damged rear window may indicate that the truck was used hard off road or jumped (see YouTube videos of people jumping them). Check to see if the windshield and airbags have been replaced.

The damage to the interior indicates that the previous owner likely abused the truck. I would be concerned about hidden mechanical issues.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 AM
Jeffrey Plum
New User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Well, that’s too bad. Maybe it was abused off road and they did a lot of clean up. I see the passenger side running board is bent upward.

The cracked sunfoof and damged rear window may indicate that the truck was used hard off road or jumped (see YouTube videos of people jumping them). Check to see if the windshield and airbags have been replaced.

The damage to the interior indicates that the previous owner likely abused the truck. I would be concerned about hidden mechanical issues.
It has the original windshield and and airbags look to be original too.

with the miles on the truck the interior doest lood abused as much as it does little detailing done after miles of from driving.

Dealer emailed and said the missing triangle trim for it had to have happened when the shop replaced the driver side mirror cover (rock chip/crack) and neglected to clip that back. They have a replacement

Passanger step kinda looks bent in the picture but I guess it's an optical illusion, it straight and true in person.

Frome reading on this forum it looked like the rear sliding window issue was not a rare occurrence. Saw several post about the glue giving way; that's why I wasn't too concerned... I'll do a bit more reading.

The sunroof I have no idea, yes very well could have been that although I have hear and read about larger tinted sunroof cracking or exploding as a common (well maby not rare) occurrence; looks like quite a few people talking about it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...2017-f250.html

I took my winch controller down and wound the winch cable back in too. The dealer just didn't have a controller for it.

I'm still shopping but Hoping that at the new pice it'll be alot of Truck for a decent bottom line... I will need a navigation SD card though too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on a new purchase of a high mileage 2015 5.0 f150