Opinions...Installer drilled extra holes in truck bed. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 07:36 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions...Installer drilled extra holes in truck bed. What would you do?

Just looking for y'all's opinion about how you would deal with this.
During the installation of the B&W Turnover Ball assembly the installer drilled 4 holes out of place, slapped the Companion hitch on which covered them up and didn't bother telling me. I took the hitch out when I got home and saw this.
Keep in mind this is our baby...not a mark on this truck and we live in a high rust area.
We are pissed!
Thanks in advance..

Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would lose my mind! Not cool at all for them to do that and not fess up. I'm not sure how to approach a fix on that screw up, but definitely something should be done by the installer to correct this.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Juneaudave
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How frustrating! I think I would first call the installer....Then take the truck to a body shop, get an estimate for repairs, and submit the bill. Repair should be on the installers dime.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Juneaudave
How frustrating! I think I would first call the installer....Then take the truck to a body shop, get an estimate for repairs, and submit the bill. Repair should be on the installers dime.
This is what I would do.

Certainly unprofessional of what they tried to do.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by scraprat
This is what I would do.

Certainly unprofessional of what they tried to do.
Originally Posted by Juneaudave
I agree, I contacted them, sent picture, explained that I wanted holes welded shut, rust inhibited, re coated with Rhino. Standing by for reply.
Thanks for the input all.
Will update!
Cheers

Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I certainly wouldn't let them do the work, though!

Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
I certainly wouldn't let them do the work, though!
If you make a mistake, shouldn't you get the opportunity to fix your mistake?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
If you make a mistake, shouldn't you get the opportunity to fix your mistake?
I agree in some cases but this is not their profession so I wouldn't let them do it.. They are installers not repairers.
Got a reply....Auto body shop will be doing repairs.
In a round about way the installer is having the opportunity to fix their mistake.
Where the real learning opportunity comes is that the installers need to know not to try and hide screw ups. Its easier to fess up than get caught later. The man in the back just went through an uncomfortable conservation with his boss.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Hope it's fixed to your liking.

Hey we all screw up every so often, it's how you handle the mistake afterwards that matters.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by scraprat
Hope it's fixed to your liking.

Hey we all screw up every so often, it's how you handle the mistake afterwards that matters.
Thanks..they have taken complete ownership of the screw-up so thinking the results will be positive.
Cheers

Old 03-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'm the nay-sayer as I think it's no big deal. Put a glop of silicon sealant in each hole and forget about it.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:51 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
While it sucks that it happened, If it were me, I'd just go buy some correctly sized bumper bolts to put in those holes, and move on. Would look like they are a part of the hitch hardware. In fact, had the installer done that, and not told you, thats what you would think, I'm sure. While you are entirely in your right to have them make it right, for me, it wouldn't be worth it to be without the truck for the amount of time it will take to be repaired. And then I'm sure it will still be noticeable.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Army RET
I guess I'm the nay-sayer as I think it's no big deal. Put a glop of silicon sealant in each hole and forget about it.
I appreciate your opinion as that's what I asked for.
Just refuse to have someone randomly pound holes in our truck, blow it off and me have to deal with it for the next 15 years. That's not the way it works in my world. I also don't want to be unreasonable but if there are no consequences for things like this then there is no lesson learned.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:04 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by djousma
While it sucks that it happened, If it were me, I'd just go buy some correctly sized bumper bolts to put in those holes, and move on. Would look like they are a part of the hitch hardware. In fact, had the installer done that, and not told you, thats what you would think, I'm sure. While you are entirely in your right to have them make it right, for me, it wouldn't be worth it to be without the truck for the amount of time it will take to be repaired. And then I'm sure it will still be noticeable.
Thanks for the reply... please note my reply to Army RET.

To answer to your comments:

Sorry, but I sure would have noticed if there were extra bolts.If you know what hardware your'e putting in your truck you would know what doesn't belong, least i would.

This truck is only for pulling our 5'r so sitting in the driveway or at a bodyshop for a day or 2 doesn't much matter while we still have snow on the ground.

How can you say it would be noticeable? The Rhino liner has had a canopy over it all its life until a week ago so it will easily clean up to new condition.

Fill holes, touch up spray... Done...Easy..Least that's the plan...lol.
Cheers

Old 03-27-2019, 05:11 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to know how they managed to do that. The holes aren't even symmetrically spaced. When I installed mine I made the safety bracket holes after installing the hitch. I marked them from underneath by making a reverse dimple with a ***** punch. I then "reversed" the dimple topside and drilled down through the bed. I finished by driving a long tapered punch down into the hole until it swaged tight. This gave a slightly countersunk effect and lets the hoops retract just a shade further. Looks very nice.

Quick Reply: Opinions...Installer drilled extra holes in truck bed. What would you do?