Opinions...Installer drilled extra holes in truck bed. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:18 PM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
I'd like to know how they managed to do that. The holes aren't even symmetrically spaced. When I installed mine I made the safety bracket holes after installing the hitch. I marked them from underneath by making a reverse dimple with a ***** punch. I then "reversed" the dimple topside and drilled down through the bed. I finished by driving a long tapered punch down into the hole until it swaged tight. This gave a slightly countersunk effect and let's the hoops retract just a shade further. Looks very nice.
Craftsmanship at its finest...
The odd shaped holes are the Rhino coating folding back into the holes is all. I like your idea of swaging them down to make the hoops sit a bit lower. I will do that with the others. Planned on sealing the edge on the big hole as well with a good bead of sealant around the turnover so the liner doesn't peel up
Cheers.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
To me, I'd be asking for a new bed. Glad they are going to make it right though.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:47 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by senix
To me, I'd be asking for a new bed. Glad they are going to make it right though.
We considered this and the shop was willing to go that far to make it right (almost begged me to consider other options though and I guess I found some compassion).
They are very appreciative and happy to accept the $600+ fix and I have not hung them out to dry either so we will have a good relationship going forward.
This box is in 100% good shape other than the holes and I can only imagine the possible headaches replacing the box..Just want this wrapped up in good time and move on.
So the final decision is to fill holes with RTV Sealant and re-Line-X the complete box so there is no color difference or patch visible.(fixing a few rips and tears in original liner by doing this as well).
We are good with that, Thanks to all for your opinions.
Cheers

Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my grumpy, biased opinion but of that $600 bill you should instead donate $550 of it to your favorite (tax deductible) charity. Then take the change and go out to eat.
Finally - plug the holes with goop and feel good about it all.

Sorry for being in disagreement with this.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:21 PM
77mmbass
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
If you make a mistake, shouldn't you get the opportunity to fix your mistake?
I agree that you should get an opportunity to fix a mistake.

But this was a mistake up until it became a cover up and a lie.

So I would be skeptical to let them fix it. What else are they gonna cover up?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:36 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Army RET
Just my grumpy, biased opinion but of that $600 bill you should instead donate $550 of it to your favorite (tax deductible) charity. Then take the change and go out to eat.
Finally - plug the holes with goop and feel good about it all.

Sorry for being in disagreement with this.
I asked for opinions..no need to apologize.
My favorite and most important charities in order are first my family, then our assets (whether it be house, vehicles or toys), but always our local helicopter paramedics rescue system (STARS) and our hospitals which have their donations already this year.
Sorry, this one falls under assets as well as learning opportunities for vendor and consequences for your actions (which this world is seriously lacking).
I may not work as hard anymore but for 25+ years I busted my butt 16 hours a day to get where we are now and enjoy a few nice things (nothing extravagant) so patching things together with goop isn't really appealing to us.
With all due respect...Cheers.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 77mmbass
I agree that you should get an opportunity to fix a mistake.

But this was a mistake up until it became a cover up and a lie.

So I would be skeptical to let them fix it. What else are they gonna cover up?

Yes, it was a mistake that it happened and also a mistake (poor judgment) by the installer for not fessing up.

They are a reputable business that made mistakes and are now paying the consequences and learning from it. Its all good.

Cheers

Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 988 Likes on 761 Posts
Tig welding metal patching ,sanding and refinishing, then re rhino coating would be an acceptable repair to me.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
As this subject doesn't ever seem to quit running I keep reading of y'alls continuing opinions.
Obviously I am well in the minority opinion here. These are trucks!

Perhaps because I live in a rust free zone but this is absolutely a 'No Big Deal', simply get over it.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 AM
dkegel
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Army RET
As this subject doesn't ever seem to quit running I keep reading of y'alls continuing opinions.
Obviously I am well in the minority opinion here. These are trucks!

Perhaps because I live in a rust free zone but this is absolutely a 'No Big Deal', simply get over it.
I agree with you. IMO the "cure" would be worse than the "disease". Put some rubber plugs in the holes and try and forget about it.

Dave

Old 04-16-2019, 10:48 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
"Close enough" only applies in 2 situations...horse shoes and grenades. Kudos Watsy for being vigilant.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Watsy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
"Close enough" only applies in 2 situations...horse shoes and grenades. Kudos Watsy for being vigilant.
Also Speakerfritz Quote… "Tig welding metal patching ,sanding and refinishing, then re rhino coating would be an acceptable repair to me."

Thanks guys.

As I believe in reasonably holding others accountable for their actions we now have a brand new top of the line spray in liner, no concerns about future rust and without having to get nasty.
The installers stepped up and did a very acceptable job of fixing this without any harsh words. They have my utmost respect.
To emphasize how much ownership they took, they were willing to replace the complete box to make things right. Now that's customer service and a truck outfitting company that understand others who have pride in their ride.

Far as I'm concerned this case can be closed. Thanks to all for your opinions.

Cheers

Old 04-21-2019, 12:30 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts
Body shop estimate and send the bill to them. Small claims court if they get chippy and try to be jerks about it. No way would I go replacing a whole bed on a brand new truck. That is just (a lot) more stuff for someone to potentially screw up.