Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

custom site

Old 03-27-2019, 07:49 AM
RangerMercMan
Freezer Geezer
RangerMercMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
No definitely not a fisherman. I like boats and Mercury Marine but in this case Ranger is for Ford Ranger pickups of which I have driven for 15 years and Mercury is for Canada only Mercury pickups.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:37 AM
wanta65
Junior User
wanta65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL, i'm not up on all the ford/mercury lingo.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:50 AM
TheMonson
Senior User
TheMonson is starting off with a positive reputation.
One of the things I like about this forum is there is something for everyone; people build custom stuff, people build factory faithful stuff. Of course everybody has an opinion but trying to please someone else is the wrong reason to do damn near anything (unless it's your significant other or your kid).

Unfortunately Facebook has put a dent in enthusiast forum participation. There may be other forums more suited but I know there are quite a few Facebook groups dedicated to a variety of specific vehicle alterations like cv swaps. If not for advice it would still be pretty cool to follow along with your build here were you so inclined to share it. I for one would love to see it.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:02 PM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by wanta65 View Post
i rebuilt a 351w with all new original style parts but it's a gas hog in a bronco. i used original carb, intake, and exhaust. would new intake and carb help mileage? unlike a 302, i like the way a 351w is made inside. i don't need much power and won't be pulling anything. i even thought about fuel injection but it won't be a ford motor if i do that.

I can't say how much or even for sure about the intake helping but the proper carb will definitely help mpg. Switching from the original 2 barrel to a proper sized 4 barrel will help if you can keep your foot out of it. Carefully calibrate it by reading plugs and using O2 sensors. You won't be lugging it with heavy weight so you can run it leaner in cruise mode. Fuel injection will help with those cold starts and engine longevity (by better balancing air/fuel across all cylinders).

I was surprised at getting another half mpg by switching from a high zinc 10W30 oil to plain old motorcraft 10W30....the roller cam doesn't care which you use unlike a flat tappet. This difference in mpg was comparing around four thousand miles with the high zinc oil vs a around two thousand miles with the motorcraft oil...same carb settings and same ignition curve.

Adjusting the gearing to keep the engine in the sweet spot will help mpg....which wasn't much of a thought with these trucks and their 3 speed trannies and relatively slow rear ends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.